Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Mylo the Cat

Last posted Jan 17, 2013 at 11:07AM EST. Added Jan 13, 2013 at 04:37PM EST
8 posts from 5 users

I think this is the right area for this topic, but I'm not 5σ sure. If it's not, I apologize.

The Mylo the Cat entry hasn't had much done to it in the past year, and most of what was added was by Samstence (now deleted). A quick google search turned up the Facebook account, and this post.

Apparently Samstence was the creator of Mylo the Cat, and its biggest "researcher". I cannot be 100% on his intentions, but it was probably to try and spread his videos instead of doing actual documentation.

Or, the fact that the page has >5000 likes may indicate an actual meme. Again, I really can't be sure. Would this be forced, not-a-meme, or actual meme documentation?

Last edited Jan 13, 2013 at 04:49PM EST

Facebook has about as much say in what makes a meme as Chick Lorre does about actual humor. I don't know if it has any spread other than one page with a few thousand likes, but it needs spread to other sites in order to be an actual meme. It seems to have a presence on youtube, but I don't know if that makes it any more legit. It also seems to be very forced if only one user has been uploading in the gallery.

This meme is way to forced.

It just a regular cat,nothing special,just because he appeared on tv doesn't make him famous or something.

remember serious cat https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/serious-cat

thats a meme, not this.

Not only that the user just created to piss off several fandoms,not only bronies(i saw the images before getting a 404)

So….deadpool and if the user starts to annoy again,punish him

btw,this is his new account

https://knowyourmeme.com/users/krustkrunch

Last edited Jan 14, 2013 at 09:15AM EST

Iamslow post the following

"Actually, facebook, this is a much more accurate description of what happened here.

Bronies noticed the Mylo pics in their gallery. (people complain whenever we put relevant pony things in other galleries – we can be annoyed about something we don’t care to see in ours.)

We looked up Mylo the cat out of curiosity.

Some of us found this article not even realizing it existed until now and noticed a bunch of image macros in the gallery obviously made by the same guy trying to force a meme based off of the cat.

We understand that the cat has presence on the internet, but not in the form that Samestense alone was trying to present. This is a site for documenting memes, not trying to start them.

So, essentially Samestense -

that is of corse if you didn’t delete your account and images yourself to make it look like our doing to drum up this silly drama and get attention – which actually makes more sense because I actually haven’t seen an entry’s pics deleted like this before (unless they broke rules) regardless of how obviously illegitimate the content was as a meme…

Interesting…"

that make a lot of sense.

too bad that mylo's owner can't understand is that…he spamming…sorta,so what to do? report that page to facebook,and thats done, if the owner created another one and get removed again, he will have to pay a fine…a expensive one

@Da dancing Gummy
Actually, I had asked RandomMan to delete both the original three images, as well as the following two from the gallery because they weren't pony related. I know he did the first three, but I'm not sure if he deleted the next two, and the account, and the Mylo the Cat gallery as well. I wasn't expecting that heavy of a response.

@Felix
Agreed. The "spread" seems to have reached tumblr, but it's from the original creator. This is also a cat video, which gets views simply for being about a cat. It seems a dim torch when compared to the many other cat video channels there are on Youtube.

On a different note:
We can pretty well be sure it's forced. Few of us have heard of "Mylo the Cat" since its make approximately six years ago, so I'm doubting it's a true meme. However, forced memes sometimes do become actual memes over time. We can't look in disdain at something just because we think it's low quality.

The big question is whether or not it's researched further, or set away to die. Considering samstence was the ONLY contributor to the page in the past seven months (I don't know if Screwbacca was the same person), it seems to stand that there is little-to-no popularity for this.

Google searches turn up virtually nothing. Looking at FunnyJunk, I find that the only contributor was the creator of the videos (samstence), who was banned for too many downvotes. Other than that, more creator made content, and a bare scraping of fan contributions.

Last edited Jan 14, 2013 at 11:36AM EST

i checked the facebook page and i saw that they only created/add new info on the entry just to piss off fandoms,not only bronies(deja vu)

but turn out that some people from fandoms actually like the cat, the problem is the jokes,they are horrible.

i have weird suggestion….deadpool and remove some info for a short brief of time just to see the reaction of the creator of the entry,the next step will be determine by his action.

if rage them perma deadpool or 404, If not..let it be.

PS: turns out that it wasn't the owner of mylo that created the page, just someone else who want to rustle some jimmies(which is happening a lot lately).

turn out the gallery got some of the same stuff back all by one user.

humm……and in the facebook page they think they are succeeding in pissing off them(hardly succeeding)

if this continue i think it would be wise to lock the gallery temporally

also,look at this

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/412/771/239/giving-fucks-about-insensitive-jokes-against-bronies-and-co/#13582994173122&action=fb_connect&fb_id=0

facepalm

Last edited Jan 15, 2013 at 08:28PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!