Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Thanks Obama

Last posted Mar 13, 2013 at 11:38PM EDT. Added Jan 15, 2013 at 07:15PM EST
25 posts from 20 users

So, there's a series of gifs going around which shows someone carrying something and they screw up and drop their items. At the end of the gif, a caption with the words, "Thanks Obama" appears on the gif. I have seen some examples on Tumblr and Memebase. I don't know the origin.

efase wrote:

Two examples, and I've also seen these show up a lot lately.

Excellent, just need a few more examples, and we should be good to go for an entry.

There's a subreddit under that exact name that features mostly informerical gifs with the rule that every post has to have 'Thanks Obama' in the title. Only some have the line in the actual image.

Last edited Jan 18, 2013 at 12:19AM EST

I would rather call this a spin-off from the commercial ads in which they try to sell you daily products which should make your life "so much easier". The people who use the normal products always fail with them, already breaking an arm when pouring a glass of water.

Gifs of these things are commonly shared on various places. These "Thanks Obama" variations are rare though.

@Chowzburgerz, please go for it! Would be happy to assist in research if needed.

As for the focus of this meme entry, even though the GIFs are sourced from the infomercial clips, I think it'd be more interesting to research the origin & history of the phrase "Thanks Obama," as in "Obama as the scapegoat for everything" meme.

Of course, if anyone wants to start an entry for "infomercial models having difficulty with simple tasks," feel free to start that one as well (a la Awkward Stock Photos or Stock Photo Cliches)!

Brad wrote:

@Chowzburgerz, please go for it! Would be happy to assist in research if needed.

As for the focus of this meme entry, even though the GIFs are sourced from the infomercial clips, I think it'd be more interesting to research the origin & history of the phrase "Thanks Obama," as in "Obama as the scapegoat for everything" meme.

Of course, if anyone wants to start an entry for "infomercial models having difficulty with simple tasks," feel free to start that one as well (a la Awkward Stock Photos or Stock Photo Cliches)!

I think "Infomercial Fails" would be a simpler name. I can help get the entry up if you guys want. Also, sorry for bumping.

don't know how relevant it is, but recently in TF2, people have responded to instances of bad luck with "thanks Obama"
ie. turn a corner, get killed by sentry, post in chat "thanks a lot Obama"
also seen it in response to being one shotted by a critical hit

Mungalo wrote:

don't know how relevant it is, but recently in TF2, people have responded to instances of bad luck with "thanks Obama"
ie. turn a corner, get killed by sentry, post in chat "thanks a lot Obama"
also seen it in response to being one shotted by a critical hit

I've seen this around Imgur comments as well, particularly on photos where something bad has happened.
Ie. "Here's a photo of my broken model" "Thanks Obama!"
There are also photos captioned "Thanks Obama" including a C&H comic on 1/23/13.

Funny… After the infomercial fail just came to fruition on this site, I've been seeing lots of their gifs on Google search with the "Thanks Obama" texts. Just my observations.

Add: After seeing amanda b and others' posts above, I gotta say that this "Thanks Obama" really do look more appropriate for the infomercial fail gifs.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 11:38AM EST

graduatememe wrote:

I've seen this around Imgur comments as well, particularly on photos where something bad has happened.
Ie. "Here's a photo of my broken model" "Thanks Obama!"
There are also photos captioned "Thanks Obama" including a C&H comic on 1/23/13.

Katanas>Guns any day of the week.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!