Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

where the hell is the jumping sheep??

Last posted Oct 28, 2009 at 06:42PM EDT. Added Oct 24, 2009 at 11:30PM EDT
7 posts from 6 users

This is one of the oldest internet memes ever, and was passed around for years starting around 1995… why has no one picked up on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziSr3mWw4qc

Also, there's no mention of Duckjob on this site either. WTF, guys? You clearly don't know your memes. Duckjob was passed around as a raw WAV/AIF before MP3 even existed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SViIWRlwh1k

And it took a half hour to download on a 14.4 modem, too.

Obviously, these spread in a much more organic, person-to-person way long before youtube, or bittorrent, or what have you.

Anyone remember the Hotline file sharing era? Or the IRC era before it? THAT was where the "internet meme" started, before anyone called them "memes."

The internet was around before 1999, you know…

I'm pretty sure "I remember the Internet before there even was an Internet" is a meme, too, since everyone likes to trot it out.

Also "I've been playing MMOs since before UO" is a pretty common meme on MMO forums (usually used to dismiss someone's argument by appealing to experience.)

These don't seem to be internet memes, actually.

I'm not sure about the Jumping Sheep thing because all the videos about jumping sheep I could find on Youtube have so little views.

The Duckjob thing however is just that one hilariously disturbing audio. Without any form of mutation or deviation from the original idea, it can't be considered an internet meme.

When I type the phrases "I remember the Internet before there even was an Internet" and "I’ve been playing MMOs since before UO", I get nothing on Google so I'm not too sure about them neither.

Perhaps if you both can supply some examples of these proposed memes' derivatives there could be some reconsideration about them.

Ok, first I apologize. I was drunk when I started this thread, and didn't mean to troll around claiming my superiority just because I was a geek in the early 90s.

But these two clips are totally memes. They may not have had an equivalent impact upon the mainstream as many others, but that's largely because the "societies" in which they circulated were largely hidden or unheard of in the mainstream at the time. Just the fact that the sheep video can still be found is a testament to its durability, not just as a stupid sight gag, but as a quaint historical reminder of the developing era just slightly prior to the dominance of web browsers.

Ok, I'll admit the sheep video probably doesn't deserve an episode of Know Your Meme. But to me it provides a sort of meta-commentary on the meme of internet memes themselves, being one of the earlier pieces of media to spread around the country in this fashion. And a show devoted to exploring the history and weirdness of obscure online social phenomena should mention it somewhere at least.

As for duckjob, google "I'll go get you a towel." There's still a fanbase of aging nerds who play it at every house party they can… I managed to find a number of derivative videos.

They're stupid derivatives, but still evidence that duckjob is a mind-virus that has survived the dark ages.

There was plenty of imitation among my friends based on it, short animations, recorded impressions, etc. And I'm sure other circles of people were doing the same, but without the dissemination model, video compression, and high bandwidth of today, most of that has been gone for a long time. YouTube remixes don't define the word meme.

Bah, I've wasted enough time with this.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!