Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

comparing commedia dell'arte and rage-research paper.

Last posted Nov 30, 2013 at 02:04PM EST. Added Nov 29, 2013 at 11:26PM EST
7 posts from 5 users

Hello--
I'm new to this site and community. I'm writing a paper comparing Rage Comics to Commedia Dell'arte, which is the basis of physical and improv comedy today.

It was created in Italy in the 16 century. Then it was all improve, consisting of nearly 20 different character archetypes represented by various masks including the Zanni (the low-class mischief maker), Il Capitano (the one who is completely full of himself and full of shit), the lovers (no explanation needed) and the like. The wiki is located here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commedia_dell%27arte

It's pretty clear that there are ties between the two worlds, but there are also differences, i.e. Commedia is all character based while Rage is based off of reactions to circumstances etc.
I've been looking through sites like arstechnica, but I'm wondering if anyone here is willing to throw any other sites that may be useful my way, or maybe contribute in a discussion comparing and contrasting the two?

You do realize that we only document internet phenomenon, right?
Rage comics(as well as internet memes) doesn't necessarily have to be funny.
this is my attempt to make a point

Last edited Nov 30, 2013 at 09:55AM EST

That's what I'm asking for help with, the internet side of it. I need reliable internet sources on rage comics and their history.
Commedia isn't always funny, either--I'm comparing the archetypes within the two subjects.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!