Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,548 total conversations in 3,351 threads

+ New Thread


Possible 69 article?

Last posted Dec 05, 2013 at 02:46AM EST. Added Dec 03, 2013 at 07:48PM EST
15 posts from 7 users

I’m surprised no one’s written an article about the “69” meme. Anybody up for the challenge of writing it?

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:48PM EST
Quote

Really? That’s odd, it’s a common joke all over the place. Have you searched everywhere for an article? There should be an article, but it could just be part of “internet slang”.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:54PM EST
Quote

GaryTheStormtrooper wrote:

Really? That’s odd, it’s a common joke all over the place. Have you searched everywhere for an article? There should be an article, but it could just be part of “internet slang”.

I tried to find it, but could not. Even if it’s already part of an another article, 69 should have its own. It’s pretty much everywhere and has even entered the real world.

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:12PM EST
Quote

I don’t see why “69” would have its own entry. The joke originated off the internet and therefore isn’t an INTERNET meme.

Last edited Dec 03, 2013 at 08:50PM EST
Dec 03, 2013 at 08:50PM EST
Quote

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I don’t see why “69” would have its own entry. The joke originated off the internet and therefore isn’t an INTERNET meme.

Agreed. I see absolutely no reason why ‘69’ deserves an entry. Yes, it is a slang term, but it is not an internet slang term. Thus, it has no relevancy to this site or internet culture as a whole.

And it sure as hell is not a meme.

Last edited Dec 03, 2013 at 08:53PM EST
Dec 03, 2013 at 08:53PM EST
Quote

HAHA 69

I suppose it deserves an article since it’s known well enough on the internet. Not sure how much info there would be in it.

Last edited Dec 04, 2013 at 03:38PM EST
Dec 04, 2013 at 03:38PM EST
Quote

Not an internet meme; a IRL meme.

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:30PM EST

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Not an internet meme; a IRL meme.

Well, it’s a meme either way. But still – it has gone from real life onto the internet, and is well spread. I’d say it is meme, but even if it doesn’t get its own article, “69” definitely deserves to be added on to another article.

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:56PM EST
Quote

WutHaveIDone wrote:

Well, it’s a meme either way. But still – it has gone from real life onto the internet, and is well spread. I’d say it is meme, but even if it doesn’t get its own article, “69” definitely deserves to be added on to another article.

Explain why you think it does.

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:12PM EST
Quote

opspe wrote:

Explain why you think it does.

I did. It is a popular saying/meme that has transcended from real life to the internet. It is wide spread as well, and a good deal of people know about it. It is technically a meme -
“An idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture.”

Dec 04, 2013 at 08:20PM EST
Quote

KYM isn’t ONLY memes. Events, people, subcultures, you name it. What’s popular, funny, and creative can be found on this site (+horrifying). Take “Excuse Me Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Talk About Jesus Christ?” for example, this didn’t orginate from the internet, but it is a common joke and annoyance we find in our lives.

Dec 04, 2013 at 08:24PM EST
Quote

WutHaveIDone wrote:

I did. It is a popular saying/meme that has transcended from real life to the internet. It is wide spread as well, and a good deal of people know about it. It is technically a meme -
“An idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture.”

I disagree, and let me break down why:

[‘69’] is a popular saying/meme…

First off, it is neither a saying nor a meme. It is the vernacular name of a sexual act. A slang term.

[It] has transcended from real life to the internet.

This is true, in the same way that all slang terms have. By your own admission, it is a slang term that has spread to the internet, not from the internet. Therefore, it cannot be considered internet slang in the same sense as words such as ‘newb’, ‘feels’, ‘tl;dr’, etc.

It is wide spread as well, and a good deal of people know about it.

Also true. But, the widespread knowledge of what a 69 is not necessarily based on the internet. I would argue that, like most sexual terms, the majority of today’s youth has learned about it from word-of-mouth or from watching porn on the internet. But, that doesn’t make it any more special than any other sexual term.

It is technically a meme – “An idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture.”

No, it isn’t. It is not an idea, nor is it a style. It is a slang term that refers to a behavior, but even so, it’s not a meme. It has not spread within a culture, because the behavior arguably exists in all cultures. The term ‘69’ even exists in a huge variety of languages.

We do have entries for specific slang terms, but they are all terms that have specifically originated online, not just any terms that are used online. ‘69’ does not fit this corollary. Yes, it is a widespread slang term, but it finds no more usage online than it does IRL. It does not need to be documented on this site any more than slang terms such as ‘cool’ or ‘booze’ do.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:51PM EST
Quote

opspe wrote:

I disagree, and let me break down why:

[‘69’] is a popular saying/meme…

First off, it is neither a saying nor a meme. It is the vernacular name of a sexual act. A slang term.

[It] has transcended from real life to the internet.

This is true, in the same way that all slang terms have. By your own admission, it is a slang term that has spread to the internet, not from the internet. Therefore, it cannot be considered internet slang in the same sense as words such as ‘newb’, ‘feels’, ‘tl;dr’, etc.

It is wide spread as well, and a good deal of people know about it.

Also true. But, the widespread knowledge of what a 69 is not necessarily based on the internet. I would argue that, like most sexual terms, the majority of today’s youth has learned about it from word-of-mouth or from watching porn on the internet. But, that doesn’t make it any more special than any other sexual term.

It is technically a meme – “An idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture.”

No, it isn’t. It is not an idea, nor is it a style. It is a slang term that refers to a behavior, but even so, it’s not a meme. It has not spread within a culture, because the behavior arguably exists in all cultures. The term ‘69’ even exists in a huge variety of languages.

We do have entries for specific slang terms, but they are all terms that have specifically originated online, not just any terms that are used online. ‘69’ does not fit this corollary. Yes, it is a widespread slang term, but it finds no more usage online than it does IRL. It does not need to be documented on this site any more than slang terms such as ‘cool’ or ‘booze’ do.

…but – KYM doesn’t only cover memes – we also cover events, subcultures, people, etc. Even if “69” is 100% not a meme, on this site or anywhere else, it could still be entered here. Also, “69” is technically an idea since it can be thought up, rationalized, imagined, and so on. It is also a behavior; a sexual one, and a behavior that has been popularized in modern culture.

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:18PM EST
Quote

‘69’ is not an event, nor is it a subculture, and it is most definitely not a person. And as I’ve said, it’s not notable enough as an online phenomenon to deserve an entry.

Dec 04, 2013 at 11:34PM EST
Quote

WutHaveIDone wrote:

…but – KYM doesn’t only cover memes – we also cover events, subcultures, people, etc. Even if “69” is 100% not a meme, on this site or anywhere else, it could still be entered here. Also, “69” is technically an idea since it can be thought up, rationalized, imagined, and so on. It is also a behavior; a sexual one, and a behavior that has been popularized in modern culture.

You are saying here that basically all forms of intercouse are a meme because it’s a behavior that’s been popularized in modern culture.


Baconstrips wrote:

Take “Excuse Me Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Talk About Jesus Christ?” for example, this didn’t orginate from the internet, but it is a common joke and annoyance we find in our lives.

This would be a better example and argument to run with. Difference however is that “Excuse Me Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Talk About Jesus Christ?” gained usage in a variety of image macros and other art, which are unique to the internet. 69 mostly sticks with that back and forth *wink wink nudge nudge, whenever the number appears.

Dec 05, 2013 at 02:46AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!