Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Is "Row row fight the powah" a meme ?

Last posted Jul 29, 2009 at 01:02PM EDT. Added Jul 26, 2009 at 12:40AM EDT
21 posts from 5 users

Hi.
Frenchfag here. I don't think i'm still a newfag, considering my lurking time, much essentially on 4chan and ED, though here as well since I discovered the Know Your Meme thing lately. But, in the meantime, I guess I can't fit in the oldfag feet so Middlefag might suit me.

Despite that fact, I have failed to see any entry concerning the "Row Row fight the Powah" meme around here.
ED Got informations about it, and call it a "forced meme" for what it represented. Thus, I'm wavering and considering to help creating an entry for it, with the fews informations I gathered. But, nervertheless, I need to be sure about its memetic power level.

TTGL is amazing, but Raw Raw Fight the Power("Libera Me" From Hell) isn't a meme. It's a great catchphrase and it's quite popular, but not used widely enough. Don't get me wrong, Gurren Lagann is one of my favorites, and I really want that Kamina action figure, but "Libera Me" From Hell, isn't known all that well on dwellings outside animu-fanbases.

Hum, even though it went "mainstream" with the flaming skull and the Gurren Lagann sunglasses logo proposed by the partyvan.info as the new UK flag in january 2009 ? There was a competition held by the Daily Telegraph about it.

Thoses who made that logo signed it with "It's about doing the impossible and fighting the power".

Don't get me wrong too, it just seemed to me that it went out of this animu-fanbases dwellings past a moment.

Eh, I see what your saying.
But if texted one of my friends whose anon and loves teh series of tubes, would they reply, what's Raw Raw Fight The Power/"Libera Me" From Hell, or hey yeah, I know that.
I latter is more possible, as the former really doesn't work unless they've seen Gurren Lagann.

But hey, why listen to my opinion, see what happens in the future, go for it, write the page.
Seriously I'm just an idiot.

While Gurren Lagann was epic win anime, the catchphrase is not really big enough to be a meme. It lies along the lines of "The Cake is a Lie"; it's just a popular catchphrase. If "Row row fight the powah" was to become a meme it would have to have more derivatives than what is has right now. IMO The mainstream occurrence isn't enough; the flag submitted was about Gurren Lagann as a whole and not the phrase itself.

Personally, I became familiar with the song as it was used during the whole Boxxy debacle. I've never seen the anime, but I think it might be popular enough as a meme outside the context of the Anime.

By context, I'm referring to how fans of the anime would associate the scene in which the song was used with the rest of the meme. Being that I'm not familiar with the anime and don't have any memory of the scene in which the song was used, I'm familiar with the song outside of the anime. This would seem to suggest that the song has become something of a meme outside of the original context (as part of an Anime soundtrack).

Okay let's hope that shows up.
Chris to get a feeling of the GAR that is TTGL, go watch the last episode and then Parallel Works.
But the context "Libera Me" From Hell should be used in is when the underdog beats the shit out of the expert. And BitKtBiY for when Simon can't pilot Lagann, and Kamina is too busy hitting on Yoko. Vaguely.

Dunno, Chris. Phrase still links to Gurren Lagann. Did you hear the song in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iEd176DIAY&feature=related

In that video its used as a reference.

Blah,
What I'm saying is that for me, when I hear "Row row, Fight the powah" I first think of exactly that Boxxy video you just posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iEd176DIAY&feature=related

Over 400,000 people also viewed this video. How many of them are fans of Gurren Lagann? How many watched the Boxxy video and heard the song for the first time? These things aren't easy to answer all at once, but I would guess that many people who heard the song were not already familiar with Gurren Lagann.

There have certainly been other instances where the song has been used in the context of /b/ but not neccesarily as a direct reference to Gurren Lagann.

Even if it at one time was a direct reference to the anime, it seems like the meme has been adopted by /b/ and taken it out of the original context. It looks like a definite meme to me.

Wow.
I didn't think that it was such a passionate subject.
Well, I'm going to make the entry anyways.
These videos will gladly help me. Thanks !

Well.
Sorry for the double post but I have a small last request.
Because of the lack of a space between the 2 codes paragraphs of the embedded Boxxy videos, They lead to the same video despite the 2 differents URL.
When I discovered that and fixed it, i think I've done something wrong with the first Boxxy video code that I, myself, cannot fix.

Can anyome please fix this problem with the first boxxy video => Boxxy remix – Fight the powah from this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG-7QR1JHxU

Thanks.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!