Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,827 total conversations in 4,533 threads

+ New Thread

Flight MH370 Missing

Last posted Mar 13, 2014 at 06:24PM EDT. Added Mar 12, 2014 at 01:54AM EDT
8 posts from 8 users

Yep, this has been spreading all over Asia, and soon to be around the world.

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 lost contact towards airline control around 2:40 AM (Malaysia local time, +8 GMT) and has been surging up controversies such as possible hijack, plans for a 9/11 reenactment (!?) and all sorts.

But just one question: is this note-worthy enough? If yes, I'll be doing research starting from this Friday. I live in Malaysia and I can get the hottest updates straight from the TV.

The event itself is certainly noteworthy, but there aren't many details yet. All we know so far is:

1. Flight 370 was carrying 239 passengers and had 7.5 hours of fuel for a roughly 6 hour long flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing

2. The flight dropped off the radar and lost all radio communication, and it never arrived at its destination nor returned to its origin.

3. The last known position of the plane was off the northwestern coast of Malaysia; hundreds of miles off-course and going in the opposite direction of its destination.

4. 2 Iranian passengers were confirmed to be in possession of the stolen passports; one of them was trying to get to the Netherlands, the other, to Germany. One of the passports was stolen 2 years ago, the other one last August.

5. Although there are currently 10 countries assisting in the search, absolutely nothing has been found to indicate the location of the missing jet. The oil slick and debris were unrelated.

As tragic, disturbing, and eerie as this is, I would say wait until more details emerge unless you want an entry that will need to be consistently updated. This could be a very long ordeal.

Last edited Mar 12, 2014 at 11:24AM EDT

It's certainly big, but it's an IRL event. This site doesn't really document IRL events unless they have some notable impact on the internet. (i.e. The Oscars alone aren't notable, but a selfie breaking Twitter and dozens of Leo vs the Oscars gifs does make it notable.) I've seen this flood my fb timeline, but it's only news agency that have been reporting on it. So unless there is some big internet group doing logistics and google earth searches for them, I don't really think an article is appropriate for this site.

Snowie wrote:

Seriously tho, I think it could do well as an event.

I was just talking to my friends about how History Channel would make an episode blaming it on aliens. There can only be one explanation for this coincidence!

Unless we see some fan-art or image-macro of this, we can't really say it's an internet meme

Also, I'd just like to say that if someone actually does make some fan-art or image macro of the event and try to make it funny, well that's one kind of wrong right there.

Onion Syrup wrote:

Unless we see some fan-art or image-macro of this, we can't really say it's an internet meme

Also, I'd just like to say that if someone actually does make some fan-art or image macro of the event and try to make it funny, well that's one kind of wrong right there.

Thing like this, are marked as events not as memes.

Just why is there fan-art and jokes about hundreds of missing people who may possibly be dead? That is just wrong.

My best wishes to everyone affected.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!