Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Fallout:Equestria

Last posted Apr 11, 2014 at 03:15AM EDT. Added Apr 07, 2014 at 09:11AM EDT
18 posts from 6 users

I can feel somebody going to call me brony for this but I want to start an entry about the Fallout:Equestria fanfic 'coz it's famous among the bronies (and maybe beyond them) and I think it's deserve an entry but I have some question or at last one for sure. And that is I need to put there the "(My Little Pony fanfiction)" next to the name or not? 'Coz I see it is there at the Cupcake and the Sweet Apple Massacre fanfics.

Last edited Apr 07, 2014 at 09:23AM EDT

As far as MLP fanfics go, this is the biggest by far and has the most spin-offs and fandom behind it. But should this just be noted under the already existing Fallout article, or is there enough to justify it's own article? If we give it it's own article, are we going to classify it as a Sub-entry of MLP or Fallout? From what I understand, it's just a ponified version of Fallout with a similar, but unique storyline.

It's a fic that takes the characters and setting of MLP and creates scenarios reminiscent to those of various Fallout titles, it does not technically make any specific reference to Fallout characters or settings.

It's a derivative of MLP and not one of Fallout, if that makes any sense.

There's also a shitload of OC art made for it that doesn't directly tie in to the show. If there's a sub-entry for SAM I would think it would be consistent to have one for FO:E.

Tbh I don't see any real need for sub-entry pages.

cheffdonty wrote:

It's a fic that takes the characters and setting of MLP and creates scenarios reminiscent to those of various Fallout titles, it does not technically make any specific reference to Fallout characters or settings.

It's a derivative of MLP and not one of Fallout, if that makes any sense.

There's also a shitload of OC art made for it that doesn't directly tie in to the show. If there's a sub-entry for SAM I would think it would be consistent to have one for FO:E.

Tbh I don't see any real need for sub-entry pages.

Wait now you said the FO:E deserve a sub-entry (which I don't understand why) then you said there's no need for sub-entry. Wat.

Personally, I don't think it really warrants an article. I mean, it is pretty well known, and it has spawned a bunch of spin-offs, OCs, injokes, etc, but it's essentially all contained to a small subset of the MLP community.

It's a damn good example of crossover fanfiction, what with it preserving many of the defining characteristics of both series while also creating its own setting, characters, and themes (unlike the usual 'Character X somehow finds Himself in Universe Y' bullshit). However, I don't think it's had much influence on internet culture as a whole.

That said, if Sweet Apple Massacre deserves an article, I don't see why this shouldn't. If it happens, I'll try to help out as an editor. I've read the original twice, and even made it most of the way through Project Horizons, so I know enough about the lore and characters to have a decent shot at writing about them.

Last edited Apr 08, 2014 at 11:15AM EDT

I've actually seen SAM and Cupcakes around the non-brony internet, which qualifies the large surface area it takes to be documented. Now I haven't heard of this Fallout:Equestria fanfic around the non-brony internet at all. Is it qualified enough for someone like me to understand its origins and relevance? Is it clear that someone like me, who isn't involved with the MLP community to comprehend another fanfic?

I don't think it is anything but another 'omg too much pony entrys' backlash fuel of an entry. If anything, it would be just that and a submission unlike the other fanfics your community brings up (or should I say fleshes) out.

Not only that, but a lot of spin-offs of popular video-games and cartoons are created, so I see no real interest or qualifications to post one of the many spin-offs of the show. Despite being it said it was very popular and widespread during my research, it hasn't come to me that it is incredibly popular, nor widespread in any format other than its origins and some forums.

Mainly, I think that this entry isn't qualified. In layman's terms, no.

But this isn't like any of the other fanfic we bring up. Here, prehaps it's best I quote Equestria Daily's most recent round up of FO:E fics (because there's enough that they have to give it it's own post):

"Fallout: Equestria is a big, expansive and inclusive universe that has spawned a whole plethora of side-stories,the newest and freshly updated editions of which are listed below.
This post only features New or Updated stories from Monday, February 17th, 2014 through Saturday, April 5th, 2014 for a total of 116 stories (38 of which are new) and 294 new chapters…"

In other words, there is about 2.5 stories/11 chapters written a day. There is a whole sub-fandom of the Bronies devoted to this stuff.

Last edited Apr 08, 2014 at 10:28PM EDT

Penny wrote:

Wait now you said the FO:E deserve a sub-entry (which I don't understand why) then you said there's no need for sub-entry. Wat.

I never said it deserved a sub-entry. I only tried to express that having one would not be meaningless.

Personally I don't see why any of these fics should have their own unique sub-entry page, but Weasel's post has given me something to think about and I think his opinion carries weight.

Why not simply make a sub article labeled "My Little Pony Fics" and then merge Sweet Apple Massacre, Cupcakes, and FO;E into that?

No what am I asked is that everytime when I look at the Cupcake or SAM I see a Huge My Little Pony Fanfic words in brackets next to the fics' name and I need to put that there or not? And @Weasel I'm not brony but I still heard of it (which is plausible do that I'm a Fallout fan and any Fallout related stuff interest me, well so far I didn't readed this fic, yet.).

Last edited Apr 09, 2014 at 12:53AM EDT

Why not simply make a sub article labeled “My Little Pony Fics” and then merge Sweet Apple Massacre, Cupcakes, and FO;E into that?

Why not merge every creepy/copypasta ever into one article then? They're each notable for different reasons.

• Cupcakes because of the shock value.
  • FO:E because of the following.
  • SAM because…because…I have no idea. I guess because it's so grimdark? lol.
Last edited Apr 09, 2014 at 01:23AM EDT

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

Why not simply make a sub article labeled “My Little Pony Fics” and then merge Sweet Apple Massacre, Cupcakes, and FO;E into that?

Why not merge every creepy/copypasta ever into one article then? They're each notable for different reasons.

• Cupcakes because of the shock value.
  • FO:E because of the following.
  • SAM because…because…I have no idea. I guess because it's so grimdark? lol.

I suppose SAM and Cupcakes are creepypastas rather than fics? I haven't read either of those so I trust anyone on it.

Anyways I usually just use this site as an image board so I'm in the wrong to let anyone think I'm being too serious.

I would at least simply say that FO:E would not be a suitable sub-entry to Fallout.

I would at least simply say that FO:E would not be a suitable sub-entry to Fallout.

Fair, I've never read it, so I'm not sure what it's content is most representative of. SAM and Cupcakes are semi-creepypastas. Some of the brony sites will ban you if you even bring up Cupcakes…or at least they used to. They stories themselves are too long to copypasta, but there are a many images that depict it too well.

Last edited Apr 09, 2014 at 07:01PM EDT

I have read FoE. I thought it was pretty good, especially by fanfic standards. However, I don't think its terribly remarkable outside the brony community. The reason SAM and cupcakes are worth an article is because they are so (in)famous even on the rest of the internet (particularly cupcakes).

Just a side tangent, if you get into reading it, it starts to pick up with a pretty unique storyline around chapter… idk… 8 or 9. Until then though, it's basically a carbon copy of Fallout 3… except with ponies. Not a really great first impression imo.

Last edited Apr 09, 2014 at 10:19PM EDT

Panda wrote:

I have read FoE. I thought it was pretty good, especially by fanfic standards. However, I don't think its terribly remarkable outside the brony community. The reason SAM and cupcakes are worth an article is because they are so (in)famous even on the rest of the internet (particularly cupcakes).

Just a side tangent, if you get into reading it, it starts to pick up with a pretty unique storyline around chapter… idk… 8 or 9. Until then though, it's basically a carbon copy of Fallout 3… except with ponies. Not a really great first impression imo.

Yeah but all the post-Canterlot characters and settings introduced are ripped straight from Fallout 1 and 2 so some of it gets kinda predictable.

I hate to derail the thread but I never really discussed the story with anyone else after I read it. Any interest in making a new thread, Panda?

cheffdonty wrote:

Yeah but all the post-Canterlot characters and settings introduced are ripped straight from Fallout 1 and 2 so some of it gets kinda predictable.

I hate to derail the thread but I never really discussed the story with anyone else after I read it. Any interest in making a new thread, Panda?

It would be best to do that sometime later when this thread's main purpose is completed, then make a new thread or comment on its article.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!