Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

A Mario Kart entry?

Last posted May 11, 2014 at 09:41PM EDT. Added May 09, 2014 at 03:24PM EDT
12 posts from 5 users

I think it's about time we got an entry about Mario Kart. It's the biggest sub-series of Mario and Mario Kart Wii sold over 35 millions copies, making it the one of the best selling games of all time. It has spawned off memes like the infamous Spiny/Blue shell and (what I call) Baby X/ Metal X which is about putting baby, metal or another thing in front of the name of a character in order to create a new character (Inspired by Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina, Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach). This is actually quite popular on boards like GameFAQs.

So what do you say?

I'm not sure whether it covers the same ground as our pre-existing (and confirmed) Super Mario entry. It's the same logic that's stopped me from creating a Donkey Kong Country entry, does it fall under the same ground? Granted DKC isn't really a spin-off at this point, MK certainly is.Plus there's the argument on whether it's all that notable meme wise. But hey, what does that matter any more, so I say wait for more responses then go-ahead

As I said in the entry for Super Smash Brothers; Mario Kart is a hard entry to push here because despite being immensely popular, it's actually spawned very little in terms of notable memeic mutation. (Which somewhat makes sense. Emulating something like Mario Kart requires a bit more sophistication than something like Smash Brothers due to the combination of Organic and Inorganic materials. At least from an artists point of view.)

Two examples I can think of that could make this warrant an entry is 1: Live Action Mario Kart Parodies, notably Remi Gaillard and Freddie Wongs videos. And 2: The Blue Turtle Shell parodies. Though I don't know any notable examples of that.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 04:10PM EDT

Two examples I can think of that could make this warrant an entry is 1: Live Action Mario Kart Parodies, notably Remi Gaillard and Freddie Wongs videos. And 2: The Blue Turtle Shell parodies. Though I don’t know any notable examples of that.

By which it can be brought forward that the Blue Shell's infamous status in the games probably warrants a meme entry. So if any of you feel bored, here's a free entry idea.

An entry about only the spiny/blue shell could work too I think, I'm just worried that it might be hard to find any kind of examples of spread of it.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 07:05PM EDT

Γ Da Count Γ wrote:

An entry about only the spiny/blue shell could work too I think, I'm just worried that it might be hard to find any kind of examples of spread of it.

A Google search will end you up with countless types of images. Look for some that got a notable amount of views/upvotes/favorites/notes/karma/whatever. There's also plenty of merchandise available related to the Spiky Shell, which can get a paragraph. There are rage reactions and probably videos as well. Nintendo added a Spiky Shell to the Mario Kart 8 limited edition, which was covered by a couple of websites. Use your imagination, dig a bit, and some interesting stuff is bound to pop up.

You can probably fill up a spread section about the Spiky Shell with relative ease.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 07:07PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

A Google search will end you up with countless types of images. Look for some that got a notable amount of views/upvotes/favorites/notes/karma/whatever. There's also plenty of merchandise available related to the Spiky Shell, which can get a paragraph. There are rage reactions and probably videos as well. Nintendo added a Spiky Shell to the Mario Kart 8 limited edition, which was covered by a couple of websites. Use your imagination, dig a bit, and some interesting stuff is bound to pop up.

You can probably fill up a spread section about the Spiky Shell with relative ease.

Oh stupid me. How could I forget about that spiny shell statue. I pre-ordered the limited edition with that in. Well alright, if it's okay with you guys, I'm going to make an entry about the spiny shell. I won't make it until tomorrow however. It's late where I live and I need to get some sleep. Of course, if anyone wants to help out the Spiny Shell entry after I've made it, feel free to do so.

Another thing worth looking into is the modding community of Mario Kart Wii. Though this would be a relatively new thing for KYM to look into seeing as besides mod heavy platforms like Mugen or Garrys Mod, we have barely touched the subject in recent years.

I also have to call for assistance on documenting the Super Smash Brothers Brawl modding community, but that's for another thread.

Aside from Metal X/Baby X and Blue Shell, like you mentioned, I have a few ideas for a Mario Kart entry.

-Rainbow Road
-Mario Kart Character Requests

…and that's all I have, but I hope these help.

I don't think that requests for characters to be in Mario Kart is as big as with Super Smash Bros. Rainbow Road could possible be worth a mention, especially since there is that popular rainbow road song that got an entry and got confirmed, but right now, I'm not going to make a Mario Kart entry. I am however, working on an entry for the Spiny Shell like RandomMan suggested. Maybe Mario Kart can get an entry another day.

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 04:51PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!