Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Identifying Wood

Last posted Aug 23, 2014 at 08:09PM EDT. Added Aug 23, 2014 at 03:01PM EDT
5 posts from 3 users

I've seen variations of this around forever.
It appears to be based on the cover of this book.
And the original edit:

Playing off the fact that it's not hard to tell what is wood and what isn't.
I found these two in our own galleries:

(But couldn't find any more because no one tags their shit.)
And here are some more examples:

I'd get an article started but I'm not so good at the whole 'writing coherently' thing.

It appears to exist in just snowclone form too.
So very many more pictures.

Last edited Aug 23, 2014 at 03:18PM EDT

Erin the Furry

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/hzf68/yep_its_wood/

Okay, so this appears to be the oldest Reddit instance of that precise image. The comments called it a repost, though, so I'll see what I can do to trace it further back.

EDIT: I found a thread from 2008. It's just a link to the book's Amazon page, but the title of the post is "Yep, it's wood!" so it could be considered a variant of the meme.

EDIT #2: The above 2008 thread included a link in the comments section to a 2007 FARK thread. Most of the images in it are broken, but what's left is a goldmine. I'll add a few of them to the image section of the entry.

EDIT #3: Looks like the 2008 thread was the oldest on Reddit. I'll edit the FARK thread into the "spread" section, though it might end up in "origin" if we can't find one soon.

Last edited Aug 23, 2014 at 06:28PM EDT

Damn, I thought we were going to have a thread on all the types of wood and which wood species is the best.

Personally, I'm a fan of the mesquite, but that's because I like darker and more intimate interiors.

Last edited Aug 23, 2014 at 08:10PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!