Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Memes have to be international?

Last posted May 10, 2010 at 01:40PM EDT. Added May 09, 2010 at 03:35PM EDT
9 posts from 7 users

For instance, if there is this funny character that is very popular in a certain country, and can be considered a "meme" in that country alone, but otherwise is totally unknown outside its borders. And his popularity being made by certain aspects of his behaviour that do not necesarily involve his native language. If such a "national meme" would be submitted, would it be considered a forced meme since nobody outside that country knows it?

This is what i'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbjQrMRt7M

I can provide more videos, images and documentation on him and his popularity in my country, but i don't want to make another forced meme mistake.

Go for it!

We are currently trying to find ways to better support non-Western, non-English language memes. There are a ton of internets out there. Just because we haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't a meme. Even if it comes from another culture, we still have to evaluate it based on how it spreads and what makes it significant.

Ethan Zuckerman has a great write up of how the Kenyan meme Makmende was rejected on Wikipedia and deadpooled on KYM because neither of us bothered to try to understand a meme from another culture.

As Brad Kim, Tomberry, and the Japanese Meme Team have shown, there's a lot to be gained if we take the time to understand memes from other languages and cultures.

Well till the entire world starts speaking American, memes with be with certain nationality's, and while KYM trys to bridge out, we are primarily American.

Last edited May 10, 2010 at 12:14PM EDT

Primarily American? I'm not so sure. Even though we're primarily English-speaking, there are a number of regulars here from Canada, Europe, the Philippines, and elsewhere.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!