Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

iPod Ad Spoofs

Last posted Sep 16, 2009 at 10:00PM EDT. Added Sep 16, 2009 at 09:39AM EDT
6 posts from 4 users

These are just a few examples of the iPod Ad Spoofs that we all know and love that I borrowed from this website. So, my question is: Is this real life? Nah, I'm just kidding! Is this an IRL Meme or an Internet Meme? I can't really tell if it became a famous Photoshop fad on the internet before it became mainstream IRL or if it was the other way around.

It has its respective links for each website:
- Wikipedia
- ED
- Macrochan
- YTMND

Here are some other reference sites:

I think it's worth documenting. What do you think, people?

I know in the past I've always asserted that if something became popular as a result of the Internet, then it's not an Internet Meme.

But because of the recent Kanye Interruption meme, we've all been reconsidering how we qualify an Internet Meme. I don't think whether or not something was mainstream-sourced should play any role in analyzing a meme as long as there is a good amount of real, user-created content that is transormative in nature.

So with that said, iPod spoofs are absolutely an internet meme worth documenting. Feel free to start an entry on it.

There's something confusing about this meme that I found out.

As Wikipedia states, the first iPod commercial to feature a dancing silhouette was a November 2003 commercial which featured the song Hey Mama by Black Eyed Peas. But, I don't think it's the first video at all because the ever first silhouette spoof video that was ever made was created by an Apple fanboy who calls himself Macboy, on November 2, 2003. This seems truly strange unless if the iPod commercial came out on the first of November which I think is unlikely (unless if I'm wrong). I'm confused, people. Can you please help me with my research.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!