Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Famous TV ads parodies as memes ?

Last posted Nov 06, 2009 at 01:56AM EST. Added Oct 12, 2009 at 11:15AM EDT
13 posts from 6 users

Hi.

That's a question I'm asking to everyone here.
I'm planning to work on two separated things:

- The Get a Mac TV ad spoofs
- The World of Warcraft TV commercial parodies

I stumbled across an impressive amount of contents showing that these two commercials got greatly parodied in various ways on internet, even before some TV shows made their own version from it (here, I'm mainly talking about the Get a Mac ad)

However, I'm still a little puzzled about it and I don't want to make any confusion.

Do they qualify enough as memes (internet memes, that is to say) and do they worth entries here ?

Then, I'm realizing that there are a lot of memes inspired by commercials (when it's not the contrary), being on TV, internet, or magazines.

Do you think we need a core entry talking about the impact of advertisment on memes, with sub-entries for all commercial related memes ?

I don't know if we need a parent entry for all TV commercial parodies. There are tons of them, but I don't know that they're all really worth putting in the database.

But I think a "Get a Mac" aka "I'm a Mac" parodies entry might be worthwhile.

As for World of Warcraft commercial spoofs, I'm not sure. I haven't really gone looking for them, but I'll let other people weigh in with their opinions.

Going to look into the WoW parodies.

Should we have a article about 'ad' parodies (everything from ShamWow to Songsmith)?

@Tomberry – what's your opinion on the notability of the Mac vs PC parodies? Should they be grouped with other Apple Ad parodies (see below) or do they stand on their own?

I really don't know. I saw tons of videos and images that only target the "I'm a Mac vs I'm a pc" ad without any relation with the other existing Mac ads or parodies.
I would say that the never-ending "Mac vs PC" battle got enough content (and it took a truely lulzy turn with these particular ads) to have its own entry alone. And, also, because Apple, with this poorly disguised (or shall I say oblivious ?) comparison theme and sarcasticly blaming Microsoft shortcomings that way, would do nothing but provoke reactions from the public.

But, hem, I don't know. I haven't completely jumped on the subject yet…
I think that including the other Mac parodies will be too wide of a subject for a single entry.

Besides, I think that these parodies, made mainly in order to completely mock on Apple, their OS system and computers, existed before the "get a Mac" ad… or maybe not. Maybe the official ads triggered that trend for parodies and "hatred" concerning Mac OS' publicity (I saw parodies concerning MacBook and the same as well) …

I'm going to work on it.
And the same for WoW ad parodies.

Edit: After a second view, the parodied ad you showed Yatta was also pointing at Microsoft PC's failures in the first place. I think I'll definitely include them in the article, actually. At least, all the parodies that target Apple in a depreciative way could be included.

Should we have a article about ‘ad’ parodies (everything from ShamWow to Songsmith)?

That's what I was wondering.
ShamWow, SongSmith, extreme advertising, Ipod parodies…
There are so many meme entries that got the same "advertising" relationship.

@Tomberry I think you're right -- they do need separate entries. Concentrate on Mac vs PC for the article you were putting together. I'll work on the "Get a Mac" one.

Fantastic stuff!

@Tomberry

"Do you think we need a core entry talking about the impact of advertisment on memes, with sub-entries for all commercial related memes ?"

I think this is a great idea. If you happen to make a submission, I'd be more than glad to help.

@Tomberry I think you’re right -- they do need separate entries. Concentrate on Mac vs PC for the article you were putting together. I’ll work on the “Get a Mac” one.

Okay, I'm on it. If you please, I'll wait to see your article, for some elements could/would be reused in the Mac vs PC one, I think.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!