Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,828 total conversations in 4,533 threads

+ New Thread

Fakemon

Last posted Nov 29, 2010 at 01:24PM EST. Added Nov 25, 2010 at 01:32PM EST
16 posts from 4 users

I believe this to be one of the older internet memes. What do you think? Does it qualify? There are several sprites that people have made of fake Pokemon, and even more drawings. Heck, some people make entire regions for their Fakemon.

So what do you think? It'll be a huge pain in the arse to research, but I think it's well worth documenting.

I made some awesome ones a year or two ago. My best was a black and yellow mew with wings, a raichu's tail and a crobat's legs. Too bad I lost those files.

And I think you may have something here. I remember something about a mew3 hoax with fake sprites, and i've seen many youtube videos on custom sprites.

Jack Candle wrote:

Go on www.4chan.org/vp/

It's the Pokemon board. You'll get all the information you need, and then some.

'friad I'd be grounded for the rest of my life if I go anywhere near 4chan.

Also, someone else seems to have made an article. They haven't done a good job (no offense to them) and I've requested editorship.

CjayS wrote:

'friad I'd be grounded for the rest of my life if I go anywhere near 4chan.

Also, someone else seems to have made an article. They haven't done a good job (no offense to them) and I've requested editorship.

Actually, that article that you have found was more about custom pokemon sprites where two or more pokemon have been fused together. I'm talking more along the lines of original Pokemon that have been sprited and drawn.

Trick Lobo wrote:

Actually, that article that you have found was more about custom pokemon sprites where two or more pokemon have been fused together. I'm talking more along the lines of original Pokemon that have been sprited and drawn.

Maybe we couldcombine them, after all, they are very similar

CjayS wrote:

Maybe we couldcombine them, after all, they are very similar

If anything, Fakemon would have to be the parent entry, with the articles for PokeGods, Custom Pokemon Sprites, and Tentaquil as submemes.

Trick Lobo wrote:

If anything, Fakemon would have to be the parent entry, with the articles for PokeGods, Custom Pokemon Sprites, and Tentaquil as submemes.

But is it important enough for it's own parent entry? Or should we just combine it into one to show several versions/derivatives. If we separate them, most of them would be deadpooled for lack of notability.

CjayS wrote:

But is it important enough for it's own parent entry? Or should we just combine it into one to show several versions/derivatives. If we separate them, most of them would be deadpooled for lack of notability.

Yeah, combining them might be better. However, considering that Tentaquil has a different origin and usage than PokeGods and Custom Pokemon sprites, it's probably notable enough for its own entry. Fakemon is still the "big meme", outnumbering the others in terms of searches, even though the term "PokeGods" came first.

Search insights

Looking at this, I'm starting to wonder if we can even consider Custom Pokemon Sprites notable enough for its own entry. The other Pokemon searches show more results and also show more spikes in search volume.

Last edited Nov 27, 2010 at 07:57PM EST

Trick Lobo wrote:

Yeah, combining them might be better. However, considering that Tentaquil has a different origin and usage than PokeGods and Custom Pokemon sprites, it's probably notable enough for its own entry. Fakemon is still the "big meme", outnumbering the others in terms of searches, even though the term "PokeGods" came first.

Search insights

Looking at this, I'm starting to wonder if we can even consider Custom Pokemon Sprites notable enough for its own entry. The other Pokemon searches show more results and also show more spikes in search volume.

I actually collected a fairly good amount of research on custom sprites (inluding completely new sprites and edits of older ones.) I think it's enough to make a half decent article on them. That means we might get far far more for fakemon research.

CjayS wrote:

I actually collected a fairly good amount of research on custom sprites (inluding completely new sprites and edits of older ones.) I think it's enough to make a half decent article on them. That means we might get far far more for fakemon research.

Awesome. I'll go ahead and do a basic write up of an article and add you as an editor. I'll start on some more research as well.

Trick Lobo wrote:

Awesome. I'll go ahead and do a basic write up of an article and add you as an editor. I'll start on some more research as well.

I've added quite a bit. I have some more, but i need a break, I'll add it later. Also, I think I could do with some help getting images of hand drawn pokemon, and on pokemon contests.

I've added more, including a link to Serebii's article, deviant pics and a link to an image of an enitre games-worth of fakemon.

Theses so many fakemon pictures I don't think we'll be able to catalogue them all…

Trick Lobo wrote:

Yes, but Tentaquil is a standalone meme because of its notability.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!