Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[General] Over obsession with waifu. any help?

Last posted Nov 09, 2014 at 12:36AM EST. Added Nov 06, 2014 at 02:46AM EST
44 posts from 24 users

I fear I may have become overly obsessed with a fictional character. I have never actually watched the anime the character is from, which might have contributed to problem, so when I found out near the end of the anime the character hints that there is a "thing" between my waifu and another character I have no real interest in, something kinda snapped in me. Up till this point I have had no problems looking at pictures of them together, my lack of knowledge of the anime meant that I assumed it was just harmless internet shipping. From my knowledge of the character she ends up alone at the end.

I snapped when I found out and ended up going through the like 1000 pictures I have of her (I've been collecting them for at least 6 years so thats like less than half a picture a day) and sorting them between pictures of her alone and pictures of her with anyone else. Even OCs that had nothing to do with the anime. Took me like an 1 hour and at the end I kinda felt sick. I can still look at her alone in pictures, but the second I see her with that character it feels like my heart skips a beat and I get upset and angry. I tend to be pretty calm about these things. I've shipped plenty of characters from other shows that don't go together and didn't care one bit when a character doesn't end up with the character I shipped them with (I try to keep them self contained but thats beside the point). So I was genuinely freaked out when I took a break, stepped back, and really looked at how I was feeling and reacting. I'm not sure If I am just obsessed with a character and am experiencing just jealousy, or something else. The fact that I've considered her my waifu for 6 years probably doesn't help the situation.

I'm probably going to get plenty of troll posts but I'm genuinely concerned that I have a problem. I'm not sure if this is just a episode from the shock, or something that will last longer, the events in question only happened 2 days ago. Before anyone says "dude get a real girlfriend" I have a boyfriend and when I tried to talk with him he didn't want to talk about it. Other friends of mine have said its fine, but they are probably not the most reliable source since they would try to be nice or deal with it themselves. So I figured I would ask some random people on the internets how they felt about it, if I am crazy or not. Maybe if I am lucky someone else will have experienced this and has a easy solution. I know she isn't real, and I don't talk, see, or hear her. I am not hallucinating or delusional. I have a perfectly good grasp on reality and those around me. which is another reason I am feeling genuinely disturbed by my actions.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong board, I genuinely don't know where else to post this.

I understand how you feel. I print off pictures of Taylor swift and cut the eyes out of them and put the pictures in a scrapbook while gluing the eyes to a basket ball to make a creature made completely of eyeballs. I have over 650 photos now and I hope was hoping to get more but something got in my way. My girlfriend found out about it while we were making sweet sweet sticky love (I totally have a girlfriend am not making her up). She laughed at the sight of the scrapbook and I thought she would leave me, but she revealed herself to be Taylor Swift. I had been obsessing over Miss. Swift and she had been right in front of me all along. it just goes to show that looking for love in hollow pictures is wrong when true love is right in front of you.

I've had a waifu for 4 years and I can honestly say you just need to take a step back, here. You can PM me and talk about it if you want, that's really all I can offer but maybe talking it out could help, right?

Also my waifu is better than yours.

Last edited Nov 06, 2014 at 03:11AM EST

Patrick wrote:

I've had a waifu for 4 years and I can honestly say you just need to take a step back, here. You can PM me and talk about it if you want, that's really all I can offer but maybe talking it out could help, right?

Also my waifu is better than yours.

Your waifu a shit.

You think you and your waifu have it rough? Well, my waifu, Stocking, was in a series that's well known for it's controversial ending where it turns out she's actually evil and was given a teaser for a second season that never happened and may never happen at all. Am I upset though? At the second season teaser, yes, but her herself I am not. I feel I don't really have any reason to be upset because that final episode was so insane it was like someone's fan-fiction was brought to life, but I still enjoyed it, even though it still gets a little under my skin with the twist, but it's no big deal. I also really love the episode where she fell in love with a ghost, and have no jealousy issues at all, as it shows a tender side to her character that is rarely seen in the whole series and I cry at the end when he passes on. The bottom line about your waifu obsession is that you should have it in your head that she is fictional and know that things could be a hell of a lot worse for her fictional being.

inb4 hate
The waifu in question is Renamon. I didn't watch the source material because when I was a kid they was no way for me to watch the series. So my only experience with her was through the furry fandom. I never really had the time nor the desire to watch Digimon: Tamers. I was tempted to at some points and kinda glad I didn't.

I was only asking for help because it came right out of no where once I found out. I've had other characters I liked and stuff but didn't care at all when they ended up with someone else. Just this one character that did it so I was kinda freaked out by my reaction.

You need to put that bitch in her place, here's what you do:

1. invite your waifu for a normal dinner, pull up a pic of her wearing something nice while you dine
2. ask discreet questions about other characters you've seen her with
3. eventually tell her maybe you should stop seeing her
4a. she agrees, break up
4b. she gets upset, begs you to stay
5. in the event of 4b…

6. none of that "gentle lovemaking" shit, you give it all you've got, make her scream
7. she's crazy about you now
8. ???
9. profit!

Last edited Nov 06, 2014 at 01:17PM EST

>renamon.

man….i dont know how to tell you this.

but your waifu is like, really obsessed over in the furry fandom, im surprised only the relation thing bothers you.

Last edited Nov 06, 2014 at 01:25PM EST

James Blunt wrote:

>renamon.

man….i dont know how to tell you this.

but your waifu is like, really obsessed over in the furry fandom, im surprised only the relation thing bothers you.

Yes which is why my reaction is a concern for me. I don't care if she is everyone else's waifu or how she is shipped with everyone under the sun.

TripleA9000 wrote:

Jesus Christ…

Just when I thought the users of this site couldn't shock me anymore, this happens.

This is shocking to you? This shit just feels like another Thursday to me. My reaction to "inb4 furry hate, my waifu is Renamon" was just "ah yes, as is wont to happen…there-there, lad."

My waifu is Vinyl Scratch, and there have been times where I've become irritated by things involving her being harmed, dying, or suffering a fate worse than death. Most notably, this fic pissed me off. But then I wrote a story about my headcanon's Vinyl coping with it, and I was fine with it afterwards.

TheMiketroid wrote:

She's also fiction. And isn't real.

I stated that I am really not bugged by the fact that she is other peoples waifu. I may not enjoy hearing about it but hey I think everyone is like that and I am happy to spread the image of the character so people can be fans of her in general.

I also clearly stated in my original post that I understand she isn't real and don't have any delusions or hallucinations about the character being real.

Thus why the events I mentioned were disturbing to me because I've never behaved this way before about other things. I understand she isn't real, I understand she is shipped, yet when I found out about the possible canon relationship she has with another character it made I reacted as if she was a real living being. Which is why I am asking if I should be concerned over this, or if is just something that comes along with having the same waifu for many years.

people on a meme website who will promptly mock you in the IRC

Come on, we are not that bad.

@OP

I agree that you should probably step back a little bit, you are taking it way too seriously. It's okay to like a fictional character; but feel jealous of a shipping, not so much.

@RM

yes pls

Last edited Nov 06, 2014 at 06:40PM EST

Loli wrote:

people on a meme website who will promptly mock you in the IRC

Come on, we are not that bad.

@OP

I agree that you should probably step back a little bit, you are taking it way too seriously. It's okay to like a fictional character; but feel jealous of a shipping, not so much.

@RM

yes pls

No so much shipping as an implied official canon relationship, but I get it. I'll probably get over it in a few days.

Papa Coolface wrote:

You need to put that bitch in her place, here's what you do:

1. invite your waifu for a normal dinner, pull up a pic of her wearing something nice while you dine
2. ask discreet questions about other characters you've seen her with
3. eventually tell her maybe you should stop seeing her
4a. she agrees, break up
4b. she gets upset, begs you to stay
5. in the event of 4b…

6. none of that "gentle lovemaking" shit, you give it all you've got, make her scream
7. she's crazy about you now
8. ???
9. profit!

The Sniper in White wrote:

Before anyone says “dude get a real girlfriend” I have a boyfriend and when I tried to talk with him he didn’t want to talk about it.

Wait a fucking second.

Who did you quote?

angrypuffin wrote:

I'm bisexual.

Was I really the only person who figured this out the first time reading the original post?

Anywho, Honestly, I'd say watch Digimon Tamers. It would give you a better idea if you really like the character, and might change your opinion about this whole thing.

Jill wrote:

Was I really the only person who figured this out the first time reading the original post?

Anywho, Honestly, I'd say watch Digimon Tamers. It would give you a better idea if you really like the character, and might change your opinion about this whole thing.

I mean, I kind of guessed it, but wasn't sure.
First time hearing a bisexual having a waifu, especially while having a boyfriend, and having an obsessive problem with said waifu.

What a time to be alive

But uh. I don't know man. I don't understand people with waifu that they don't even know much about. I mean, even typical people with waifus and bodypillows probably don't reach this level in where they become jealous of a CANON ship.

angrypuffin, maybe you should acquire a husbando. Might somehow divert some of your attention to your husbando instead of your waifu.

The Sniper in White wrote:

I mean, I kind of guessed it, but wasn't sure.
First time hearing a bisexual having a waifu, especially while having a boyfriend, and having an obsessive problem with said waifu.

What a time to be alive

But uh. I don't know man. I don't understand people with waifu that they don't even know much about. I mean, even typical people with waifus and bodypillows probably don't reach this level in where they become jealous of a CANON ship.

angrypuffin, maybe you should acquire a husbando. Might somehow divert some of your attention to your husbando instead of your waifu.

Well I love my boyfriend more than Renamon of course. I get jealous sometimes with him because of my relatively low self esteem so I guess this was bound to happen with just how I am. I typically solve this by just asking him to not tell me about stuff that might make me feel jealousy. Being that he is a furry he enjoys RPing with others online I try to avoid hearing about his internet sexual exploits.

Also this post made me realize how fucking insane and twisted my life is….well at least you internet people get to enjoy it.

I think it might help if you took a step back and looked at Waifu'ing in the bigger picture

Why do we waifu?

Waifuing is really just a fun game, isn't it? We do it for our entertainment. It's nothing serious. It's not because we actually believe a character is in an intimate relationship with is. We know that a waifu offers us nothing in terms of relationship company.

But it's funny to pretend and make up stories based on a fictional character that you supposedly love like a spouse.

Or maybe we do it just to make a humorous point on how good a certain character is

All in all. It's just fun and games. And that's how you should treat it

It's okay to make a waifu. Just chill out, relax and remember that it's all in good fun. There's no need to feel jealousy if other people have your same waifu and ship it with other things because they are doing it all for fun too. None of that is to be taken seriously or personally.

Waifu's are fairly available to the public so it will get involved in things far beyond your control, so you can't really get mad about that

But your relationship with your waifu isn't affected by anything outside of your imagination anyway so it doesn't matter.

Wether your waifu gets shipped with the kitchen sink in some other persons non-canon story, or even a canon character in the actual media; That doesn't change what your waifu means to you.

Whatever you do, puffin. Just promise you will never get as bad as that guy who married a plush of Twilight Sparkle. Now that's taking waifu'ing to a terrifying extreme it should never go down. Put your boyfriend first. Real things > fake things

Ok ok, so uh so far I'll just summarize OP's situation.

-OP has a waifu problem. Or rather, a strange obsession with his/her waifu.
-OP is bisexual. And has a boyfriend while having a waifu.
-Waifu isn't a person, it's Renamon. Extremely big in furry fandom.
-OP's boyfriend is actually a furry, and has occasionally Rp'd
-OP's waifu obsession have been over 6 years, even though never have watched or played Digimon.

+1 Memory Lane

Well after 2-3 days of moping, I've started to get over it. So just taking a small break helped a lot. So I can go back to worshiping my waifu like a goddess. Thanks for distracting me, know your meme. Was a wild ride, hope everyone enjoyed and got a few laughs at me and others.

Well sorry about all the trolls, puffin. Although you kind of knew that would happen.

I hope you do take into account that you did get some useful advice from a few people that were genuinely trying to help you in this thread.

Not everyone was laughing at you. So don't write off everything you received here has jokes at your expense

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Well sorry about all the trolls, puffin. Although you kind of knew that would happen.

I hope you do take into account that you did get some useful advice from a few people that were genuinely trying to help you in this thread.

Not everyone was laughing at you. So don't write off everything you received here has jokes at your expense

Nah I knew there would be trolls before I posted it. Just the subject matter bring them in, though I think I managed to dodge a few by actually have a real person.
I do appreciate all the advice that was genuine and hopefully if someone who is worse off than me will read the the comments and it will help them.
I was laughing at myself once I took a step back and looked at myself so I don't mind if people are laughing at me, since I did it myself.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Just to be sure, I wasn't trying to troll.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!