Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Guilty Pleasures: Music

Last posted Aug 26, 2014 at 05:20PM EDT. Added Aug 19, 2014 at 09:22AM EDT
29 posts from 27 users

What bands songs do you like that you are embarrassed about? For me it's The National, because despite my love of distortion and fast paced music, I do really like one of the slowest softest bands in rock music today.

Also, if you are one of those people with the whole "don't be ashamed of what you like" philosophies, that's cool and all but that's not the point of the thread.

I don't swear or talk about explicit stuff IRL, but there are songs I like that I feel embarrassed about liking, such as Offspring's You're Gonna Go Far Kid.

Also, there's some late 90's to mid 2000's pop/teen pop that I like because I listened to it as a kid. Never make a point to find it and listen to it, but I might enjoy it if it was on the radio.

Samekichi Kiseki wrote:

Can this be expanded beyond music? because most of my guilty pleasures are really from watching shows and playing video games.

Expand it to three threads: "Guilty Pleasures: Music" (just editing the title of this one), "Guilty Pleasures: Shows" and "Guilty Pleasures: Vidya".

Last edited Aug 19, 2014 at 09:42AM EDT

emmure.
just.
emmure.

oh, and haftbefehl, but that one i'd never admit that i actually like him, i just say i find his songs hilarious. but maybe that means that i DO like him.

…and blood stain child, but that's a different level of guilty pleasure.

oh, and i actually like that ponpon song. and some MADs
and… uh, i find more and more of those, conceal, don't feel, don't let them know, your taste in music is not very metal at all

Last edited Aug 19, 2014 at 05:26PM EDT

Not sure if this should go here or vidya but

(for the record, I'm far from being guilty about loving sonic heroes; it's just this song in particular)

Last edited Aug 19, 2014 at 08:49PM EDT

I was originally going to say that I didn't have any, but then I remembered this:

Now let me clarify something here: I would never listen to this song intentionally. It's only that when I'm sitting around and it comes on, I'm… okay with it. That's a pretty big fucking accomplishment considering it is both a modern pop song and belongs to genres that I really hate. I have no idea why I don't dislike it- maybe it just has the benefit of becoming a smash hit around the same time that "Fancy" did, which by comparison makes me feel like a combination of blood and cranial matter is slipping out my ears.

TripleA9000 wrote:

I like dubstep, there i said it

Some dupstep is ok. I don't like the really heavy ones, but I've heard a few good ones.

TripleA9000 wrote:

I like dubstep, there i said it

">implying all dubstep artists are brostep":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRpHf4X7FNM

In all honesty, I don't have any guilty pleasures. I'm proud of the music I listen to, even the questionable ones.

Here's a good video regarding guilty pleasures.

Last edited Aug 19, 2014 at 11:12PM EDT

Patrician trainer wrote:

">implying all dubstep artists are brostep":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRpHf4X7FNM

In all honesty, I don't have any guilty pleasures. I'm proud of the music I listen to, even the questionable ones.

Here's a good video regarding guilty pleasures.

Here's another great video on the idea, made by Todd in the Shadows. The whole review is essentially a audiovisual essay on how you can like something but have absolutely no fucking idea why, and even revile it at the same time.

In another video he said that if he ever calls a song a "guilty pleasure" of his, he doesn't really mean that it makes him guilty (because that would be stupid), but that he cannot find a real reason to defend his enjoying it.

Last edited Aug 19, 2014 at 11:40PM EDT

I listen to Owl City, "Post-grunge" Rock now and then, and if I am just really really bored;Crush 40

Hey, I'm usually by myself when I listen to music, I don't have any reason to worry what other people will think of some of the "low culture" parts of my taste in music, So I don't really care.

MF DOOM wrote:

kanye isn't that bad.

As a musician, he is very talented. I think the main problem is his ego and personality at times can be terrible.

As for me and guilty pleasures, I don't have any…If I like the music, I like it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!