Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Don

Last posted Apr 30, 2013 at 12:46AM EDT. Added Apr 22, 2013 at 07:39PM EDT
26 posts from 14 users

So, when it comes to KYM, everyone seems to bash on Don, who is part of the big three (Brad and Amanda are the others) because he creates entries based on forced memes and advice animals. Don has told me once that he even hates documenting these types of memes, but he has to do it. Due to the backlash Don gets for the entries, is he in danger of getting fired? I'm not bashing Don here.

Young Dragoon wrote:

why would he be fired for doing his job?

Because people hate him for the forced entries that he creates. He often receives the most negative reception of the big three.

chowzburgerz, I don't know what it is with you, but you seem to have some strange preoccupation with Don. Every time I've seen you in IRC you seem to bring up topics similar to this. That aside, like Young Dragoon said, it is his job to write entries. He's not going to be fired for people saying "+1 Deadpool" just because they don't like something.

chowzburgerz wrote:

Because people hate him for the forced entries that he creates. He often receives the most negative reception of the big three.

(Moving to Site-Related)

From what I can tell, there's no chance (at least not due to him documenting advice animals and the like.)

First off, KYM documents memetic phenomena. Like Young Dragoon said, that's his job. Whoever would replace Don would be doing the same thing.

Second, if Cheezburger wanted Don to document something else, then they'd tell him before getting someone else to do his job. You have to make sure you find a new person who's interested in Web Culture, would research such phenomena, and wouldn't (noticeably) slack off during their time on the clock. Don seems like a smart guy; if Cheezburger (I assume they do the hiring and firing) had a problem with him, he'd just explain himself and change what he makes and edits entries of. It's a simple "fix"

Third, amanda and Brad wouldn't have it.

Fourth, the people that bash on him (I stay near the forums, so I don't hear such bashing,) probably don't hold any sway on his position with KYM. KYM's viewership and userbase is a big deal (the biggest of deals when it comes to advertising, I'm sure,) but changing Don out for someone else wouldn't fix it.

So to sum, if there was a big issue with it, Cheezburger would ask the administrators to focus on a specific set of Web phenomena before they started firing people.

Chowz, you're rushing things again. The OP post was so quick that I don't even know what the actual topic is. Don's pretty swole I guess, but I don't think that's what the title wants me to say.

For the rest pretty much what Young Dragoon already said: Why would Don be fired for doing his job? You're being way too paranoid here. If we'd degrade mods or fire staff each time something is researched people dislike, we'd have nobody left.

Don has told me once that he even hates documenting these types of memes, but he has to do it.

For starters, it was not you he told this, it was the topic at the IRC at the time. I feel like you see yourself as KYM's private police unit, please watch out with this. Besides that: It's not directly Don they're bashing on, it's Advice Animal entries. It is true what you said that Don doesn't find Advice Animals essentially funny, but saying that he "has to do it" is a bit lacking. It's simply the job of KYM to research and document internet phenomena, of which Advice Animals are a part. Don is simply the best person to research AA entries due to his experience with past entries. Other staff, even mods, have researched AA entries on occasion, but why force ourselves to do a chore like that when we have someone drowning in experience?

Also describe "forced". Because there are A LOT of "forced" memes out there. And if we auto-rejected each one of them we'd be losing quite a lot of already confirmed entries.

Don't worry, I as well dislike OP bashing at times. We cannot be blamed for the topics we document, as we simply don't decide what becomes a hit on the web. But please point me out to an occasion when "+1 Deadpool" (hint: it's useless) actually resulted in a deadpool. These type of comments are simply some of the situations we have learned to deal with, as fighting them won't change a thing.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 08:17PM EDT

LOL

I don't hate documenting advice animal memes at all. Researching and documenting all kinds of entries can be fun. My point was that I don't think they are all funny or clever just because I make an entry about it. It means the meme popped up on our radar big enough for us to cover it.

Adam DeLand wrote:

If there's anyone that the commenters should bash its the people on Reddit that create the advice animals in the first place.

If there's one thing that the internet has taught me, it's that the majority of commenters have no idea what they're talking about, no matter what site they're on.

opspe wrote:

If there's one thing that the internet has taught me, it's that the majority of commenters have no idea what they're talking about, no matter what site they're on.

Le +1 Confirm xDDD

I should hope that Rimshot nor Ernest earn the reputation of "being the point at which the thread is dead." Granted, RM sorta provoked that, but at least he wasn't the one to take the joke too far.

Any other on-topic posts? Otherwise, let's let this thread slide into obscurity unless someone else has a comment or question on the matter in the next 30 days (and we can lock it if someone feels to need to be clever and say "Le +3 confirm xDDD")

Spoilers: It wouldn't be clever, actually.

Verbose wrote:

I should hope that Rimshot nor Ernest earn the reputation of "being the point at which the thread is dead." Granted, RM sorta provoked that, but at least he wasn't the one to take the joke too far.

Any other on-topic posts? Otherwise, let's let this thread slide into obscurity unless someone else has a comment or question on the matter in the next 30 days (and we can lock it if someone feels to need to be clever and say "Le +3 confirm xDDD")

Spoilers: It wouldn't be clever, actually.

My apologies for the post. I should've guessed that any off topic post could turn Site Related into JFF.

As for the topic at hand: Most of it is covered at this point. The only thing that I know that might need posting is a reply from OP after all our posts (that doesn't mean that I forbid anyone from posting, please do if you want to contribute).

P.S. Verbose, you weren't familiar with "Don bashing", so here's a link to the White Entrepreneurial Guy entry to serve as the most recent example. The comment section in that article, giving negative feedback to Don for covering an AA in an entry, is a rather common case with new AA entries lately. It has been confirmed already that Don doesn't really bother nor that those comments will have any effect, but I'm just sharing it so we're on the same line with knowledge.

Ok, I'm sorry for being all paranoid. I just want to stand up for Don. He doesn't deserve all this hate. Can't he just prohibit comments from being posted on entries?

chowzburgerz wrote:

Ok, I'm sorry for being all paranoid. I just want to stand up for Don. He doesn't deserve all this hate. Can't he just prohibit comments from being posted on entries?

I wouldn't consider that approach myself. About half (i.e., 3) of my entries have gotten similar comments (although the criticism hasn't been directed at me personally), but I'd never restrict users from commenting about what they think about an entry or its notability to avoid personal criticism (because I can always ignore it. It's the Internet.)

As for RandomMan, thanks for understanding and for the background info. I saw White Entrepreneurial Guy trending in the past several hours, and I figured it was the basic advice animal derivative, but I didn't think it was trending because people were commenting about the editor of the entry. Don is quite the popular guy, hm?

Even reading that though, some of those comments appear to be poking fun more than calling for Don's head. I don't think it's anything to worry about, chowz.

chowzburgerz wrote:

It's noble that you want to stand up for Don, as I agree that the feedback is at times uncalled for, but I'm agreeing with Verbose here that we shouldn't prohibit comments from being posted just due to the ignorance of some. Users simply have the right to post their opinion, negative opinions included.

Not to forget that locking the comments on AA entries only supports the false idea that we "force" advice animals by blocking all negative feedback, and therefore will only have the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve here.

If people are willing to calmly discuss the topics we document and the necessity of them, I will be more than happy to reply. But comments with no arguments only reading "Don no", I can't bother to reply nor take those serious.

Unless they start resorting to death threats or spam the image galleries with anti-Don propaganda, I don't find it necessary to take action. Ignorance is simply a given in comment sections, but to use that as a reason to resort to consequenses like this:

Can u not.

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 03:55PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

So? Contrary to popular opinion, popular opinion doesn't mean shit. See this article

Yes, people bitch about entries they don't like. Yes, people still bitch about the Soulja Boy entry, even years later after it was made.

But those dumbasses don't mean shit, because Soulja Boy is a meme, and Don makes a bunch of entries on memes other people hate because someone's gotta do the dirty work. There's no way anyone here will ever fire Don just because a bunch of bratty idiots who don't actually know what a meme is hate him.

Katie C. wrote:

I still feel guilty for making that popular…

I had no idea it would turn into this.

You must undergo a pilgrimage to find forgiveness and absolve yourself of your sin.

chowzburgerz wrote:

You're taking this way too seriously and are severely overreacting, man. Nobody takes comments to heart. I don't think people even read them.

chowzburgerz wrote:

So he made another advice animal entry called Confession Kid.

So we need to revive this topic every time he makes an article, even though that's his job, and this issue is settled?

Twilitlord wrote:

As I see it, we've said about as much as we can about it and it's not necessary to bump this every time he makes another advice animal article. Requesting lock.

I'll grant that request.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!