Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,702 total conversations in 1,732 threads

+ New Thread

Pop up ads on android?

Last posted Jan 07, 2014 at 10:52PM EST. Added Dec 29, 2013 at 11:05AM EST
8 posts from 6 users

Does kym use these or do I have an app harassing me? It only happens on this site, and its terribly random. Sometimes I get a "your phone is infected!" Ad that I can click cancel on and go about business, and other times its a "download antivirus" with no cancel button that loads up a webpage that looks like the Google play store, and I can't click cancel on that one.

I just received two of these pop up viruses. One from "Yahoo" and another from something called lovelink. The lovelink pop up just sent me there even though I wanted nothing to do with it.

I remember before getting adblock for my android, adtrack kept sending me to Google Play and tried to get me to download Candy Crush.

It's a script from one of KYM's seedier ad-revenue providers. Here's one of them:

This specific instance is from http://www.trafftracker.com/usada.php. Tapping on it takes me to a page that creates the pop-up with no "cancel" button, meaning it's whatever page is behind that short link.

EDIT:

A second instance, from just after I posted this.

This one is from http://www.trafftracker.com/usadrx.php. It's likely related to the first, and also uses a script to cause a pop-up. Someone may want to contact Cheezburger's ad department and mention this to them. It's possible TraffTracker's ads are all behind the false antivirus pop-ups.

I'll post other notable instances if I see any.

Last edited Jan 01, 2014 at 08:06PM EST

I've noticed these as well. In the meantime, please do not follow any of the links or download any of the apps it asks you to. Simply press the back button to dismiss the dialog if there is no other option.

I have this problem on mobile as well. It's pretty obvious it's spam, so I typically just hit back and go on my merry way, but it's kind of annoying. Also does anyone else have the play store open seemingly at random? Is this a related issue?

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

I have this problem on mobile as well. It's pretty obvious it's spam, so I typically just hit back and go on my merry way, but it's kind of annoying. Also does anyone else have the play store open seemingly at random? Is this a related issue?

That's the big issue for me. It only happens on occasion, and its NOT the play store. Its a webpage that looks like it. Brings you to an app made by some company with love in the name.

Snarb wrote:

I've noticed these as well. In the meantime, please do not follow any of the links or download any of the apps it asks you to. Simply press the back button to dismiss the dialog if there is no other option.

I can't upload a photo of it since I'm on my phone, but another dirty one from mobogenie is an automatic download that tries to install itself while on mobile.

I'll see if I can upload a picture of it when I get to my desktop.

Its called Mobogenie_1541.apk

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!