Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,700 total conversations in 1,732 threads

+ New Thread

Reaction Faces Name Change

Last posted Mar 27, 2014 at 10:53PM EDT. Added Mar 25, 2014 at 09:14PM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

I've been thinking about this for a long time and it makes so much sense to me that I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. Should the Reaction Faces entry's name be changed to Reaction Images or something similar? This may seem like a minor aesthetic change, but it does a lot more. Since the Reaction Faces gallery is so full of images that aren't faces yet are still reactionary that always have to be moved/deleted, why not change the article to allow these sort of images or maybe make a separate one to hold all of these? If you don't agree, please explain why and I will be glad to listen. The article would probably have to be slightly rewritten to accommodate the name change of course.

I feel like we may have had this discussion before…

A big issue is that a number of the pictures there aren't even reactions. Widening that umbrella would just invite greater misuse of the Image Gallery. Also, it might rend the massive tagging effort that's been going underway for weeks moot, which would kind of suck.

I sorta agree. There are a lot of images that are definitely reactionary, but are not faces, and sometimes I do think that the distinction can be some what arbitrary (especially with things like pareidolia, and reactions that are not focused specifically on just a face)

However, I'm kinda bothered that the reason is partly because the gallery has been so abused. Certainly, it would be easier for maintenance and practically, but I'm slightly afraid that this might send the wrong message. Rather than addressing images that were uploaded by users that can't be bothered to read the entry description (or in this case, the entry name), we'll change the entry to accommodate them.

Still, if the abuse and maintenance wasn't a factor in it all, I would still say I am leaning towards a reaction images gallery. I'm just afraid that other problems, such as people uploading other memes and non-reactions will not change, or become even more problematic.

Based on how both of you reacted to this, I feel like making a different gallery for reaction images would be the better option, but I'm not sure how we would excuse making another entry just to have the gallery.

I think another issue brought up by you two is that we have to inform people on how to use the galleries correctly. Spreading awareness for this is not an easy task, especially for those who just don't care or random BNMs that come here to shitpost.

I honestly think if we are to move to another step, then have the Reaction Images gallery. We shouldn't change an entrie's name just becauses of the abuse and issue some uploaders do. But it is a huge problem that needs fixing (I've said this a million times before!). But we don't absolutely need to have a new gallery. Once things get sorted out, everything should be fine. That'll take time, effort, and a lot of work.

Based on how both of you reacted to this, I feel like making a different gallery for reaction images would be the better option, but I’m not sure how we would excuse making another entry just to have the gallery.

You can't. We're not an imagebooru.

RandomMan wrote:

Based on how both of you reacted to this, I feel like making a different gallery for reaction images would be the better option, but I’m not sure how we would excuse making another entry just to have the gallery.

You can't. We're not an imagebooru.

Very true. So, the only options reslly are changing the entry or leaving it as is. I still think these other reactionary images deserve to be somewhere on KYM, I just don't know how. Seems like it's only change it or leave it.

Last edited Mar 27, 2014 at 10:33PM EDT

Personally, I've pretty much treated Reaction Faces as "Reaction Images." I dunno if anyone else has called foul on an image because it wasn't a face; as Cthulhu mentioned above, the big problem is that so often we get things that aren't even reactions (I've been seeing an influx of gifs of people dancing in Reaction Faces. How the hell is dancing a reaction? Sure, celebration, but for God's sake dancing is dancing; we don't need all these dancing gifs). I can't say I agree with the notion that renaming the gallery would create an increase in gallery abuse, but at the same time I think the name change should be left on the back burner until the gallery abuse can be quelled some more. I've been seeing some users tagging their images and even making use of the "reaction:" tags, so we're definitely moving in the right direction.

Last edited Mar 27, 2014 at 10:57PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!