Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,083 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

Most Overrated Character

Last posted Nov 26, 2014 at 04:03PM EST. Added Oct 30, 2014 at 12:28AM EDT
37 posts from 24 users

The most overrated character from anything you can think of, and post why you think they are overrated.

For me the most overrated character ever, would have to be Itachi Uchiha. The reason is because people believe that he can beat anyone, and i mean anyone, including people who he stated he wouldn't be able to beat.

They think he can beat jiraiya, madara, obito, all the hokages.
I shit you not their are people who believe he could beat juggernaut and superman.
AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME

I'll have to say Cloud and Sephiroth. Truth be told, I did enjoy Cloud, until Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts 2 turned him into a generic brooding emo. And Sepiroth can't hold a candle to the perfection that was Kefka. Especially considering Kefka was far from what any villain was in a JRPG at the time and since than, with him dressed like a jester and is a complete psychopath, compared to Sephiroth, which I have heard people say he's the best villain in the series just because he was in Final Fantasy VII.

Batman.
Like okay, he can plan everything but saying that he can beat the likes of Ironman with enough preparation time is LAUGHABLE
I love how people seem to forget that he is just a normal dude in a suit. That's that.

Suspended wrote:

Batman.
Like okay, he can plan everything but saying that he can beat the likes of Ironman with enough preparation time is LAUGHABLE
I love how people seem to forget that he is just a normal dude in a suit. That's that.

Well, he did kick Superman's ass in The Dark Knight Returns.

So i see no problem if Batman can beat Ironman with the right preparations.

Samekichi Kiseki wrote:

Dark Knight Returns is an alternative universe, and in the canon universe, Superman has kicked Batman's ass 7 times even with kryptonite. Batman is cool, but he is very overrated.

Roarshack wrote:

Dark Knight Returns is an alternative universe, and in the canon universe, Superman has kicked Batman's ass 7 times even with kryptonite. Batman is cool, but he is very overrated.

Really? That's too bad.

Davian Thule the USS Reno wrote:

Goku – Why? People from the DBZ fanbase(not all, obviously) think he is the most overpowered character man has ever created and he alone could solo ANY fictional universe.

Kirito – Marty Stu. That is all.

The OP talks about over-rated, not over.powered. For me the entire DBZ anime is totally over-rate. Granted, I enjoy it myself when I was a kid but after seeing it so many times and people almost think is the only anime worth watching (when in the same years that DBZ existed there was Saint Seiya) is what convinces me how over-rated is

Thrash95 wrote:

The OP talks about over-rated, not over.powered. For me the entire DBZ anime is totally over-rate. Granted, I enjoy it myself when I was a kid but after seeing it so many times and people almost think is the only anime worth watching (when in the same years that DBZ existed there was Saint Seiya) is what convinces me how over-rated is

duly noted. But both of the characters I've mentioned ARE pretty overrated especially when their respective fanbase over-exaggerates their capabilities.

Thanos. Maybe because I interact with his fanboys a lot, which would be damaging to anyone's sanity, but to me he just seems like a muscular raisin having a cosmic temper tantrum for not being able to bone the anthrophomorphic representation of Death. I remember one guy saying that he could beat the entire W40K universe by himself. Maybe that is true but even then, damn.

Last edited Oct 30, 2014 at 10:49PM EDT

Samekichi Kiseki wrote:

That's always taken out of context. First off, this isn't canon. Second, batman had outside help. And third, he counted on superman holding back. There is no way bat man could best superman when he is going all out.

I think Goku is the most overrated. I've heard multiple people say he could beat solo Sttgl and demonbane. Also, some of the more extreme fans think that Dragonball is the best anime of all time and every other anime is shit. Remeber one guy saying that the dbz games revolutionized fighting games.

Last edited Oct 31, 2014 at 01:21PM EDT

God damn this guy. Being the first superhero doesn't make you the best or even a good superhero.

He's not likable. He's either Superdick or the one of the most boring characters ever.

It's just that his enemies stand no chance against him. Oh no look it's a business man without kryptonite (although he beats people literally made out of the stuff with ease) what the hell is Lex going to do to Clark. If he wanted to he could just kill him in a second. He also has the most plain set of extremely strong powers and the fact that he has a ton of them.

Superman's supporting characters are Boringela McLoveinterest and that nerdy reporter friend.

But the worst thing is his personality (or lack thereof). The guy is just "nice" and "good", not even funny or serious. There is no trials for him other than some other kryptonian/god-like beings which we know he will defeat because of his plot armour. There is no reason for him to be good or evil, outside of being a projection of his parents morality unlike Batman, Spider-Man or any other character ever. To me he is a plotpoint, not a character. His most interesting stories are stuff like Red Son and Injustice, where it's more about what if "god" was raised by the Soviet Russians or went crazy dictator.

His entertainment isn't character, it's the spectacle of him doing stuff. But you could create a character like Superman that can do that and give them a personality, even if it's only somewhat basic.

And to all those "he's not meant to be born outside some outside force" what about Captain America. His problems are about struggling against the fact his ideal world isn't the one he lives in. The US has grew up and become better at some things and worse at others. Hell even Kick-Ass. Kick-Ass wants to do good, but he's a kid who would get wrecked by every badguy. He has to deal with the fact he created the Motherfucker and got wearing a costume banned.

Why? Why do people write this guy in the mainstream Marvel universe.

OK people think that a thug with a gun (or killer Batman or the literal stereotype for all Max Payne like characters) is a good character. He is solely driven by the desire to kill criminals. He is the one of most hypocritical characters ever. Selling drugs to feed your family because your poor and it's the only way you live? BLAM! Your dead, don't care about your family, this guy was a 'nam veteran so he's allowed to kill you. Because ALL criminals are evil by nature and must be viciously tortured and executed by the Punisher. Arresting people is an alien concept to sick, violent man known as Frank Castle.

Why don't the other true heroes just lock him away like he deserves? Because he will job (defeat an enemy that you should have no chance against) them no matter what. Spider-Man on his own could break his legs or incapacitate him, but Punisher writers have some bullshit about how he tactically left a stun-grenade and then just hits them. Or like the time he held off the FUCKING AVENGERS by him stealth using some bullshit guerrilla skills or whatever. And yet people complain how Batgod is OP and takes down way too powerful opponents but are fine with "Punisher kills the Marvel Universe".

@spider bite

Those seem more like your personal issues with them, not so much that they are overrated. Hell, I'd argue that superman is underrated. People think that he is just a boring boy scout, a Gary stu, but he has had some very interesting stories and I quite enjoyed his cartoon series as well as him in the justice league. Supermans villains are very powerful and do give him a run for his money, but of course he wins because he has plot armor as he is the hero. I don't know why people always point out his plot armor but ignore the fact that Batman and practically every other superhero are the same? Really, I am not a huge superman fan, but I do find people are a little too harsh on him when their arguments against him apply to many other fan favorites.

Dac wrote:

@spider bite

Those seem more like your personal issues with them, not so much that they are overrated. Hell, I'd argue that superman is underrated. People think that he is just a boring boy scout, a Gary stu, but he has had some very interesting stories and I quite enjoyed his cartoon series as well as him in the justice league. Supermans villains are very powerful and do give him a run for his money, but of course he wins because he has plot armor as he is the hero. I don't know why people always point out his plot armor but ignore the fact that Batman and practically every other superhero are the same? Really, I am not a huge superman fan, but I do find people are a little too harsh on him when their arguments against him apply to many other fan favorites.

pretty much

Dac wrote:

@spider bite

"I don’t know why people always point out his plot armor but ignore the fact that Batman and practically every other superhero are the same?"

The point I was making is that people constantly point it out with Batman but Superman is worse, because he is already unkillable. I don't see people calling out Superman on that time he learned that when he dies it's actually a coma.

Plus he is overrated. Superman is always rated one of the top superheroes on lists and he getting films. People think that Superman is getting all the criticism and Batman isn't. And have you spoken to many Superman fans? I have.

The Punisher is always seen as this badass that kills people and his logo is everywhere.

@Spider-Byte

what Dac is saying that although he may be on a lot of people's superhero lists the fact is is that a large enough group of people hate him. And like he said, those are your personal reason's why you don't like him. Overrated means to have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved. If more people dislike him than love him, can he really be considered overrated.?

Plus there's a difference between hating a character and thinking they're overrated.

I don't know, reading your explanation for why you think he's overrated, it really comes off as you saying no one is allowed to like superman because you think he sucks.

Last edited Oct 31, 2014 at 09:51PM EDT

Danaerys Targaryen.
Wow, you're going to avenge your family, actually be relevant, and do anything other than sit around in Mereen, think about who you want to bang, and start wars with literally everyone? How many books do you think that will take?

And yet, all things considered she still seems like the author has favored her to be the eventual winner of ASoIAF, not to mention save the world.

TripleA9000 wrote:

@Spider-Byte

what Dac is saying that although he may be on a lot of people's superhero lists the fact is is that a large enough group of people hate him. And like he said, those are your personal reason's why you don't like him. Overrated means to have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved. If more people dislike him than love him, can he really be considered overrated.?

Plus there's a difference between hating a character and thinking they're overrated.

I don't know, reading your explanation for why you think he's overrated, it really comes off as you saying no one is allowed to like superman because you think he sucks.

But that isn't the case. Superman still does tremendously well in his books and films. Coupled with fans that think he is this guy who can kick anyone's ass, even Martian Manhunter and people the whole justice league need to take on.

Sure you get a good amount of people that say he's boring, but plenty of people that reply "hurr durr you don't get it/him." or "b-b-bb-but hes the symbol of hope". People call Batman overrated but they seem to be blind to the other hundreds of people saying they hate Batman. But Superman is underrated because hundreds of people call him boring.

Look at a bunch of top 10 or top 100 superhero lists and Superman is usually number 1. They are calling him the best superhero. If that's not overrated what is?

People are allowed to like Superman. But being a Superman doesn't mean you have to hate Batman or basically the whole of Marvel (encountered a surprising amount of these people). A lot of people come off to me as your not allowed to not like Superman. I just criticized these people points they spout out when people say they don't like Superman. Things like "You're just a Batfag who thinks Batman can beat anyone." or "You don't get him."

Superman has the nostalgia factor. He is basically the MODEL of the average superhero. When we were kids, the first thing that came to our minds when someone said "superhero" is, guess what, Superman. They call him the number one hero becouse he was one of the first superheroes, basic as shit custome and lore. Sure, the comic expands all of that but it doesn't really move from there. That's why some people, including myself, find him boring.
Superfags are the worst becouse they think Superman can kill everyone due to his almost unmatched powers (laughable since some of his villians have kicked his ass more than once)
Batfags are, as well, awful becouse they think Batman can beat gods and clearly immortal guys with enough preparation time. Hell, give Batman enough preparation time and he will be able to take down Ghost MOTHERFUCKING Rider.

Punisher, on the other hand..how is he overrated? Dude, he gets his ass kicked on a dialy basis. He has NO REAL superpower apart from shooting good. That's that. Other heroes don't mess with him becouse SOME of them are fine with what he does. Sorta like Wonder Woman eh? Ever wondered why WW doesn't have a long ass list of villians? Becouse she kills them..as easy as that, yet Supes is fine with that. Lately, Frank is getting shit comics. C'mon, working with Deadpool? Why would THE MOTHERFUCKING PUNISHER do that? I honestly hate when they make the punisher look a trigger-happy vigilante.
Still, I loved the way he just kills people for no fucking reason apart from "ur a bad guy". Like that one time in the Civil War where he shot two villians who were trying to join the good guys haha.

Now, if you guys are done with your discussion about Batman and Superman, shall we focus on REALLY overrated character? So when I started to read X-men, Wolverine could survive a direct headshot in the middle of his eyes..
So far Wolverine has been drowned, stabbed multiple times, shot by rocket launchers and pretty much any gun you can dream of, dismembered twice, at one point he was just bones and claws, BONES AND CLAWS and somehow he regenerated ALL of that flesh..not to mention how Marvel put him in every Xmen cover and how they still give him the spotlight in the Xmen movies.
Okay, everyone loves Logan but tone him down a bit SHESH. Unless your feet are glued to the floor or unless you are basically the Juggernaut, a single shotgun blast will send anyone flying through the air. Same with a lot of weapons. Dat glorious plot armor. And then you faggots complain about Batsy and Supes.
Wolverine is MADE of plot armor basically.

TripleA9000 wrote:

@double

was calling us faggots really necessary?

Everyone in KYM is a faggot, but cool faggots like Freddie Mercury

Any silent character IMO, mostly the likes of Link, Mario, Gordon Freeman.

I'm not saying they're bad characters, if they were bad we wouldn't still be making jokes and references to them to this day, but they lack the depth or personality of other characters.

This. Fucker.

God… I get sick of hearing this dumbass in every Final Fantasy conversation. People constantly talk about how "INCREDIBLE" he is as a villain when all I see is a Joker ripoff that managed to fuck shit up. Sure he's funny, but god, he was so easy to beat in FFVI. I was underleveled and I stomped this guy. Both he and Sephiroth are overrated as hell. And even then, I'll always find the better villain to be Kuja. More developed, cooler final form, destroyed an entire planet and almost wiped out life as we know it; yet people don't give a shit because "Ermahgerd, he looks weird." And I still felt pity when I beat him. I just wanted to kill Kefka immediately. Besides, even in the funny department Hazama from BlazBlue stomps him.

I think Loki is pretty OR mainly because most of his popularity is from being played by a attractive British actor, his motivations are otherwise convoluted and there are many much more threatening and memorable villains out there even in the Marvel Universe (Obadiah Stane, HYDRA)
Speaking of Obadiah, he is as of now my favorite villain in the MCU since he was calculated, funny, had excellent lines, and was a genuine threat, espescially with the upgraded prototype suit. and probably one of the most underrated characters, probably because he only got one movie and the only thing most people remember him for was the "box of scraps" line

Last edited Nov 25, 2014 at 07:56PM EST

Davian Thule the USS Reno wrote:

Goku – Why? People from the DBZ fanbase(not all, obviously) think he is the most overpowered character man has ever created and he alone could solo ANY fictional universe.

Kirito – Marty Stu. That is all.

As being one of those people who once believed in Goku as lord and savior, I can attest that DBZ fans actually believe this.
Luckily I was saved, but there are many still left in the dark.

What exactly are the qualifications for overhyped though? Is it someone whose fans literally just overhype, or can it include characters who have incredibly bullshit plot devices to explain their op level? Because if so, I'd say Ichigo and Azien are pretty high up there.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!