Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,083 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

Starbucks #RaceTogether

Last posted Mar 18, 2015 at 03:44AM EDT. Added Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00AM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31932351
Don will probably make his own entry on this by tomorrow, but I just wanted to bring this up because of how ridiculous it is. Essentially, Starbucks PR launched a program that wanted people to talk more about racial issues in the United States. Yes, Starbucks. Yes, the billion dollar company that sells overpriced coffee.

In what world in what solar system in what galaxy does this come off as being anywhere close to a good PR move? Why would you invite such controversy onto your company? I just cannot comprehend how a trained marketing person would think this as viable nor how a whole marketing department would approve this.

I've heard of inventing words for advertising campaigns. It's usually pretty obnoxious. But trying to force a new definition of "to race" down our throats that doesn't imply running for sport? That's just a whole new low.

Oh, and this isn't neccecarily on topic, but nevertheless…

I've lived in the general vicinity of Seattle my entire life. Guys who live in other pretty heavily-populated areas in the US: If you think the "problem" is bad where you are, then… you're probably right. But take a look at this shit:

And that doesn't even begin to tell the whole story, because at least half (and probably way more) of all grocery stores have a location within them.
Last August I saw The Book of Mormon with a friend in the city. During the "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" sequence, a bunch of giant coffee cups who's logo is clearly meant to represent Starbucks came waltzing out to join the dance in the lakes of fire and anguish. The subsequent roar of the crowd was something akin to a hoard of bloodthirsty Roman peasants at the Coliseum demanding the brutal death of a fallen gladiator.

What I'm trying to say here is that, from my end, the very idea of "Starbucks PR" is pretty laughable.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!