Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,084 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

What do you do when somebody online calls you a "schizo"?

Last posted Apr 02, 2024 at 07:42PM EDT. Added Mar 19, 2024 at 05:11PM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Well, though I didn't want such a degrading thing to happen, I got called a "schizo" the other day by someone on this website. I never really understood why people online call each other things like "autistic" and "schizophrenic", as both those disorders are no joke, and labeling people those things randomly only hurts those who actually have those disorders. But I fail to understand what it is about how I conduct myself that makes me come off as schizophrenic.

I'll admit I can be somewhat disorganized with how I structure my comments, but to outright tell me I have a disorder is going way too far. I get it's the Internet and there'll always be people who'll call you "autistic" or "schizophrenic" or whatever disorder they don't understand. And I'd be lying if I wrote that this was the first time I was called such a thing; after all, you get called all sorts of things online these days, so I'm not at all new to how nasty it can get.

But how's one supposed to even respond to such a thing?

For starters, don't go around following a couple particular user replying to most of their recent comments with abuse that makes you sound like you're answering the voices in your head while demanding that they reply to you. Don't go spamming people's walls (and my inbox) with your unhinged ravings. Don't go around playing the persecuted the moment someone calls you out on your behavior.
And finally, deleting comments is for cowards.

Take your meds and talk to a therapist. You utter lunatic.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Nox Lucis wrote:

For starters, don't go around following a couple particular user replying to most of their recent comments with abuse that makes you sound like you're answering the voices in your head while demanding that they reply to you. Don't go spamming people's walls (and my inbox) with your unhinged ravings. Don't go around playing the persecuted the moment someone calls you out on your behavior.
And finally, deleting comments is for cowards.

Take your meds and talk to a therapist. You utter lunatic.

Very well. Your last two sentences make it obvious your perception of me will not change. But the last thing I want is for everyone to see me in such a negative light. This is ultimately just one website, but, if I am going to be here, I will do what I can to be better. Jerks and bullies and other such atrocious people will always be around, but that does not mean I follow their example and become just like them. I am not a lunatic, and I require neither medication nor a therapist.

But I will admit I still have much to learn.

I've noticed you're judgemental and insulting in most of your interactions with other users for seemingly trivial reasons or without cause. In all fairness, it's not my place to tell you how to behave on this site, or anyone else for that matter. I don't own the place. If you desire to pick and belittle others at the drop of a hat, then by all means, but don't be surprised when others will perceive you as being unhinged.

You don't have to make friends here, but it wouldn't hurt to try to behave more amicably to avoid the name calling all together. Likewise, there are a handful of users I don't particularly like myself, but instead of being needlessly confrontational, I stay polite or say nothing at all. I find throwing insults in online discussions leads only to an endless cycle of anger and pettiness.

Wilm210 wrote:

I've noticed you're judgemental and insulting in most of your interactions with other users for seemingly trivial reasons or without cause. In all fairness, it's not my place to tell you how to behave on this site, or anyone else for that matter. I don't own the place. If you desire to pick and belittle others at the drop of a hat, then by all means, but don't be surprised when others will perceive you as being unhinged.

You don't have to make friends here, but it wouldn't hurt to try to behave more amicably to avoid the name calling all together. Likewise, there are a handful of users I don't particularly like myself, but instead of being needlessly confrontational, I stay polite or say nothing at all. I find throwing insults in online discussions leads only to an endless cycle of anger and pettiness.

Needn't worry, I understand. After all, the last thing I want is to end up doing nothing but fighting others and seeing everyone as an enemy. That's no way to live, let alone conduct myself online. Thanks for being willing to share your stance on the matter; it helps a lot, really.

Last edited Mar 19, 2024 at 06:11PM EDT

Wait, most people don't take being called a "schizo" like a badge of honor?

Serious answer: Just don't care. Literally, just stop caring. I tend to process things in my head in a very strange way that makes me come off as eccentric. I have no idea whether it's related to a mental illness or autism, but I don't care. I get called "schizo" a lot. I don't care. You just treat it as you would like being called a "fat neckbeard" or whatever insult gets thrown at you. Ignore it and go about your day.

O HAI! You must login or signup first!