Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Karma..

Last posted Jul 26, 2010 at 12:56PM EDT. Added Jul 20, 2010 at 08:37PM EDT
31 posts from 18 users

Well, these are my two cents; karma really doesn't matter. (Correct me if I'm wrong) I usually just do it when I think something is funny, or when there is a troll. (Look at the karma rape from Zachu2uber) Unless it affects us, then it really doesn't need a cap from my point of view.

Edit: Maybe a cap from how much you can get/lose from a single post, but I don't think a limit on how many a day is necessary.

(Edit once more: HT is an awesome nickname)

Last edited Jul 20, 2010 at 09:10PM EDT

Quick everyone! Upvote Skankin Streetlights post!

On-Topic: Uhm, I'm basically a new member, but I always thought karma was a fun addition. I think there are problems with both Skankin Street's & HT's "solutions."

-Limiting the amount of karma you get is just not fair D:< (maybe i feel this way though, because I've benefited from it)

-And limiting the amount of karma you give isn't good. I visit the forums a lot. If I see a 6 hilarious posts and can only give away 5, that's not fair.

I guess karma is being abused, but its a system already in place that I don't think can be improved too much :/

Last edited Jul 21, 2010 at 12:38AM EDT

@ILuVKDyEr
I think that is truly the only option.

@Ogreenworld
I was thinking the limit could only be +/- 15 Karma. There have been some serious karma rapes, but I think you may be right.

We've discussed this on IRC a few times. I like what LiveFyre has done with their karma system.
(From the article)

In order to dish out a down vote, you give up one of your own points. This is how they will stop commenters from flaming other commenters, Kretchmer says.

When you downvote a post, you give up one of your karma points. In this way, users will be more considerate with their downvoting because they know that they'll be giving up their own karma. This also removes the competitive element from the karma system and refocuses it on its original purpose--to give the users a way to remove unhelpful or unnecessary posts.
I know that some of you will disagree, but this would certainly get rid of the abuse problem.
Last edited Jul 21, 2010 at 02:53PM EDT

For great justice, take off every 'Zig'
Move 'Zig', move 'Zig', move 'Zig', move 'Zig'
You know what you doing take off every 'Zig'
For great justice take off every 'Zig'

Say someone posts fifty posts, 49 of which suck horribly. Each of these 49 posts recieve -5 Karma. The one other post is just fantastic, and it gets 20 Karma. That person's profile will say they have 20 Karma. Inaccurate. Karma's got two sides. I say we count downvotes. Otherwise, it's like a YinYang with one side.

I for one don't want to be a plain ol' Yang. It sounds nasty.

EDIT: Fix'd, I'm on a laptop

Last edited Jul 22, 2010 at 05:31PM EDT

I say we keep Karma. The system in place works just fine as long as nobody hacks it. However I think that adding in taking away Karma because of downvotes is a bad idea, as trolls may take advantage of that.

"The system in place works just fine as long as nobody hacks it"
Since messing around has similar effects as hacking, it will happen all the time.

Let's apply your logic to Bush's removal of the assault rifle ban.
"Unbanning assault rifles works just fine as long as nobody abuses it"
People in Arizona and the other border states abuse it, and drug dealers in those areas are able to arm themselves with those.
I.E. Too many bad things can and will happen.

The taking away of Karma is pointless unless you can go into the Neg., if the least you can get is 0 Karma, then who cares, because at a point you'll just look like someone who has been a member but never posts at all.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!