Forums / Media / Video Games

38,604 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

What are some obscure games you guys have played?

Last posted Sep 22, 2014 at 01:33PM EDT. Added Sep 19, 2014 at 08:46PM EDT
35 posts from 34 users

So, KYM. Have you played anything no one else seems to have heard of? I've played this game way back. Still love it.

Edit: Some image problems. Switched to another.

Last edited Sep 19, 2014 at 10:14PM EDT

First up Tonic Trouble, a 3D platformer from Ubisoft. I had this game for my Nintendo 64 and remember liking it a lot, but no one else has played it. Fun Fact: Despite the game being made by Ubisoft and the main character looking a bit like Rayman, even sharing the same voice actor, the game was not even worked on by Michel Ancel at all.

Then I have one of my favorite PC adventure games, The Neverhood. This game is from Doug TenNapel, creator of Earthworm Jim, and has a very nice distinct look to it as well as an amazing soundtrack. There was a sequel to it called Skull Monkeys on the original PlayStation, but was a platformer in the vein of Earthworm Jim but even harder, and Doug TenNapel did start a kickstarter last year for a spiritual succesor called Armikrog which is supposedly coming out soon.

@Samekichi of Blades
I remember that one! it was fun but I never get the hang if it, I keep dying to wolves…

One of my favorites was Seven Kingdoms 1 y 2, they we're a mix between civilization and age of empires, good memories :)

seven kingdom 1 (imo better than 2)

seven kingdoms 2

Okay, I think some of you guys do not understand what obscure means

obscure
əbˈskjʊə/Submit
adjective

1.not discovered or known about; uncertain.
"his origins and parentage are obscure"
"he was born about 1650 though his origins and parentage remain obscure"

not important or well known.
"a relatively obscure actor"

2. not clearly expressed or easily understood.
"obscure references to Proust"

hard to make out or define; vague.
"grey and obscure on the horizon rose a low island"

1. keep from being seen; conceal.
"grey clouds obscure the sun"

Some of these games are not obscure, sorry. Wipeout 3, Starfox 64, Spongebox for XBox and Neverhood are all games people have definitely heard of before.

Let me show you an obscure game

XPilot

I played this adorable little top-down isometric space fighting game on Red Hat Linux. That's right. Linux. Just so you know how seriously obscure we are getting,

Not much to look at, but so much fun, it's a deathmatch arena style game where you can shoot other people online or bots with "lasers" (red lines) "bullets" (dots) or "missiles" (lines and dots) in "spacecraft" (shapes) protected by your "shields" (dotted lines) in arenas filled with "asteroids" (shapes) and various "obstacles" (lines). It surprisingly has all the elements of a classic DM shooter for something so primitive. I guess you can say it was all gameplay and no graphics hehe

…and I was probably the only person in the world to play it.

This is a Japan-exclusive SquareSoft SNES game that is 8 mini-JRPGs in one. I played both versions of the Aeon Genesis (same team who first translated Cave Story) translations.

It is the first game to ever make me cry (the kung fu chapter), laugh (the caveman story), and legitimately get scared (that robot mission) when I played it back in the early 2000s. The music by Yoko Shimomura (of SMRPG fame) really compliments it; y'all should listen to the boss theme "Megalomania" and the song "The Bird Flies in the Sky, The Fish Swims in the River" too.

Here's a screencap from another Japan-exclusive SNES game, "Wonder Project J" by Enix this time. Basically, it's a life simulator with a story, I guess. You gotta teach the robot boy how to perform certain tasks and train it to fight some bosses too. SQUARE-ENIX YOU BETTER OFFICIALLY RELEASE THESE TWO GAMES IN ENGLISH ONE DAY

Last edited Sep 20, 2014 at 02:41AM EDT

Ever heard of this? No? Obviously. Cause its one of 505 Games, lesser known titles, also most critics think its complete shit. and I know some people play this game and love. Like a GTA-For-Kids. Its about a bear, a normal teddy bear, named Naughty. Not being invited to a paradise resort with a bunch of people, thing is, Naughty hangs on the bottom of the bus, to kill I think, 40? Targets.
It works like Hitman and/or Manhunt. But with a more childhood ruining/insane twist to it.

I've always wanted to play ShadowMan's (bless that game!) sequel, that's why I set off in a crusade to find it. Took me an eternity but the result was worth it.

Last edited Sep 20, 2014 at 09:25AM EDT

Back on the PS2 when I was younger I used to play the shit out of a game called Herdy Gerdy. I can remember the a.i. was pretty bad, but it never used to bother me that much because everything else was so different. I've never seen a game similar to it before or since, which is too bad, because it had some real potential. I got rid of my PS2 years ago, and obviously PS3 isn't backwards compatible, but I would just love to be able to play that game again.

I don't know anyone who has heard of this

I remember buying this game at a local video store for $3.99 many years ago. It’s a top-down shoot-em-up where you have to destroy all the enemies in each stage in order to progress. You explore and find new weapons to help you defeat certain enemies without getting shot. It’s a fun game but damn is it hard. I’ve never actually beat it. You have limited continues. Lose all your continues, you start over from the beginning. It’s not the hardest game ever, but it is challenging.

Last edited Sep 20, 2014 at 12:37PM EDT

My first zelda game, not a lot of people remember this for some reason, maybe due to the mediocre sales of the system and game (only 2 million copies sold), but i really love the game (I even got it with a limited edition zelda GBA!).

The voice acting, graphics and story were pretty bad, but I liked the combat and how you could play as a Warrior, Mage, Archer or Assassin. Especially the Assassin; once you get to the right level you will be invisible to enemies half the time and can backstab everybody.

Timeshift. Oh god this game is awsome as hell. And everything you see in the trailer can be done in the game. Best FPS where you can control time.

Also, Singularity, its kinda unique, Time control, good psyhics, everything in the trailer is in the game.

Iji: A pretty obscure Game Maker indie RPG developed over the course of six years. A gem that provides hours of gameplay, filled to the brim with secrets, lore, Easter eggs, and all around badassery. Don't let the utilitarian visuals fool you, as it has an excellent atmosphere, a kickass soundtrack composed by Hyperduck Soundworks, and an excellent story that will keep you engrossed for hours on end. Holds a special place in my heart and serves and one of the key works that inspired me to get into game development.

Juiced: While not really obscure, it is very underrated IMO. Simcade style Street Racer that is not only fun, but pretty much ahead of it's time in certain departments with it's easy to play, hard to master driving model, open ended and deep career mode that's focused on crew racing and respect system in which everything you do (victories, losses, play style, etc.) is judged by the rival crews you are trying to impress, each with own personalities and preferences. It also included an online feature that even allowed to race you career vehicles against other players for pinkslips to use in your career! While there are flaws and shortcoming in this game, such as the unforgiving economy and Rubberband AI skyrocketing to unfair levels at times, the pros overshadow the cons to the point you can overlook them.

Auto Modellista: One of the first PS2-era and one of (if not the) first racing games to utilize cel-shaded graphics rendering, giving the game a flashy, Manga/Comic stylized aesthetic that has withstood the test of time pretty well. While the style is certainly there, the game suffered from an incompetent,, drifty, low stability driving model that feels like you're driving on ice most of the time, tied along with a pretty shallow Career Mode, giving little to nothing in terms of content or meaningful progression.

Last edited Sep 22, 2014 at 01:36PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!