Forums / Media / Video Games

38,604 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Is there a story behind the Dave Halverson ghost in Fatal Frame 2?

Last posted Feb 28, 2015 at 02:24AM EST. Added Feb 27, 2015 at 08:33PM EST
2 posts from 2 users

Finished it up last night, taking pics of all the things that made the filament glow (and guiltily laughing at the ghost that keeps falling from the stairs) when at some point, I take a picture of a blue ghost, I think in the Kiryu house, and I get a picture with the title of "Dave Halverson." From whatever little I can find, that name belongs to a controversial video game journalist, who has been an author for numerous gaming magazines.

The spirit list also says: "scours the afterlife to fill a void left by his bethrothed black widow."

Since this was the only American-sounding name in a game set in a lost Japanese village, I figure he won a contest or something, but I can't find much about it on Google. Can anybody tell me what the deal with this is?

I would think that since was a reviewer he would be getting criticized for criticizing the first Fatal Frame, but I can't find any proof he ever reviewed it, and even if he did most outlets gave it positive reviews (usually 7/10 to 9/10). It could just be a small shout out that the localizers put in (could be in the Japanese version, IDK), since from what I can tell he was fairly well-known in the industry at the time (he did found a magazine, after all). The spirit list description seems to tie into his personal history, since it seems like it could be talking about how he was looking for a place in said industry after his first magazine stopped being published.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!