Forums / Media / Video Games

38,627 total conversations in 2,701 threads

+ New Thread

And now Toys for Bob just went full indie, no longer being under Microsoft and Activision

Last posted Mar 03, 2024 at 02:13PM EST. Added Feb 29, 2024 at 03:18PM EST
7 posts from 6 users

Source

Weird coincidence that this happened not long after I posted about how Saber left Embracer, now we've got another story of a well known development studio leaving their parent company. In this case Toys for Bob, a company that's existed since the 90s but became most famous in the 2010s for their work on Skylanders and then later the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot franchises, has now gone independent. As much as I was hoping maybe they'd be the studio to helm a new Banjo-Kazooie, after the mass layoffs that hit Microsoft recently, ESPECIALLY on their newly acquired Activision-Blizzard side of the company, and a recent scare where people thought TFB might even have been shuttered (they weren't, they simply closed their physical office and are now a 100% remote work studio), I'd take Toys for Bob going indie and remaining in operation over being neglected under Microsoft.

EDIT: I'm a dummy who posted a little too quickly, I missed the part where it does say Toys for Bob are looking into still partnering with Microsoft for projects while maintaining their newfound independence. Maybe they will continue to be involved with Crash and Spyro going forward, and there's still a chance for them to make a new Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited Feb 29, 2024 at 03:30PM EST

Yeah I just saw this too and was about to reply to the post you made earlier. I hope to see their projects in the near future. Although I too wonder if they will work with Microsoft again on Crash, Spyro, or skylanders.

Dr. Pants wrote:

This is exactly the news I needed right now.
At least some devs are getting out of the current industry shitshow alive.

Yeah at this point I feel like with how often companies dump their workers when a project is complete that the employees are better off forming a company of their own. A task that is easier said than done, but the talent would be better appreciated in such case anyways.

Last edited Mar 02, 2024 at 05:44AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!