Forums / Media / Video Games

38,605 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Starbreeze CEO leaving the company following disastrous Payday 3 launch

Last posted Mar 14, 2024 at 02:37PM EDT. Added Mar 12, 2024 at 12:28PM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

Source

Gotta be honest and say it's kinda surprising to see a CEO being the one who leaves the company following such an infamous launch, they often try and retain their position while letting go devs to make up for lost revenue.

Starbreeze in general is a company that's had a rocky history going back to their original founders, and in terms of releases they're also notably inconsistent putting out both well liked games like Enclave, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and the first The Darkness game (the sequel was handled by Warframe developer Digital Extremes), but also some infamous games like EA's 2012 Syndicate reboot (which reimagined the classic action strategy series as an early 2010s FPS), 2018's Overkill's The Walking Dead, and now Payday 3.

I wonder if it was Starbreeze or Embracer group that was responsible for the wildly unpopular design choices they went ahead with on PD3. Considering their track record, I going to assume the blame lies mostly on the former. Starbreeze struck gold with Overkill's Payday 1 & 2, saving them from going under years ago with it becoming a blockbuster franchise, but every venture has been disastrous for them since.

I haven't played it in some time, but I'm a big fan of Payday, it's one of a handful of online games I've played consistently over the years. It sucks they botched the 3rd game so horribly. I know Starbreeze is hard at work trying to turn it around and undoing the worst aspects of the game, but it's going to be a rough and time consuming journey. Whether or not they turn the game into something decent doesn't concern me so much as how much robust competition exists. Especially now with critical hit, Helldivers 2, showing of a Live Service game done right.

Last edited Mar 12, 2024 at 05:52PM EDT

I never really liked General McBadass or his videos, but his video on Payday 3 was spot on.

The company has no respect for consumers anymore as they prioritize selling you overpriced dlc over basic game functionality. Payday 2 is by all means a superior game if you can get it with all its dlc for cheap. Helldivers 2 is also a far better alternative for the price and storefront

Last edited Mar 13, 2024 at 02:14AM EDT

Major_Failure wrote:

I never really liked General McBadass or his videos, but his video on Payday 3 was spot on.

The company has no respect for consumers anymore as they prioritize selling you overpriced dlc over basic game functionality. Payday 2 is by all means a superior game if you can get it with all its dlc for cheap. Helldivers 2 is also a far better alternative for the price and storefront

Could do without all the "woe is me" shit from Gen about Starbreeze not giving him special treatment after he winged about hating Payday 2 for killing his channel's ability to grow. Man still isn't over getting turned away by the biggest clownshow in town.

Efezs Yiollr wrote:

Could do without all the "woe is me" shit from Gen about Starbreeze not giving him special treatment after he winged about hating Payday 2 for killing his channel's ability to grow. Man still isn't over getting turned away by the biggest clownshow in town.

Yeah that's why I wasn't really too much of a fan of that video or his content in general. Alot of content creators act like a company owes them for their success and it kinda felt like he was implying that somewhat. The general criticism of starbreeze is valid though.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!