Forums / Discussion / General

233,307 total conversations in 7,802 threads

+ New Thread

Today something amazing happened

Last posted Sep 09, 2011 at 03:34PM EDT. Added Aug 25, 2011 at 12:19AM EDT
33 posts from 14 users

Brucker wrote:

What is that? A load of barnacles?

No, its Sinigang. But seeing how its Philippine cuisine (lol that rhymes) it might as well be. (because they eat so much seafood, I'm half filipino so I can say this) Also I looked at who the 9002th poster was, it was you Gort. Somehow I knew it would be a mod. Oh well, its not like I have proof.

I used to work in an office that for some reason was majority Filipino, and for our Christmas party, we ended up going to a Philippine restaurant. There's some wild stuff in Philippine cuisine. A couple things I remember in particular? We got an appetizer that the Filipino guys were saying to the rest of us, "Try this, it's great!" and everyone was saying, "Not until you tell us what the heck that stuff is!" I finally broke into the argument and said I would be more than happy to try some without being told what I was eating. It turned out to be fried pig intestines; they were pretty good, and I actually had seconds after finding out what it was. There was also a seafood plate that had (among many other things) a bunch of fried squid, whole. As it happens, I love squid, so I ate a couple, but I'd have to say I prefer them raw over whatever cooking method had been used there.

Brucker wrote:

I used to work in an office that for some reason was majority Filipino, and for our Christmas party, we ended up going to a Philippine restaurant. There's some wild stuff in Philippine cuisine. A couple things I remember in particular? We got an appetizer that the Filipino guys were saying to the rest of us, "Try this, it's great!" and everyone was saying, "Not until you tell us what the heck that stuff is!" I finally broke into the argument and said I would be more than happy to try some without being told what I was eating. It turned out to be fried pig intestines; they were pretty good, and I actually had seconds after finding out what it was. There was also a seafood plate that had (among many other things) a bunch of fried squid, whole. As it happens, I love squid, so I ate a couple, but I'd have to say I prefer them raw over whatever cooking method had been used there.

Thank you for sharing your adventures in eating. I always enjoy storys about food, so this was nice to read. As far as the squid, the only ones I've ever ate were fried, and even then I'm still getting used to the taste, so I understand what you mean.

Skimaskkass wrote:

Thank you for sharing your adventures in eating. I always enjoy storys about food, so this was nice to read. As far as the squid, the only ones I've ever ate were fried, and even then I'm still getting used to the taste, so I understand what you mean.

I ate a taco once.

Skimaskkass wrote:

When I think about Philippines food:

Warning: Not for the faint hearted

BALUT

That is perhaps one of the very few food in the world I would never try. And I have eaten many kinds of weird stuff.

Hiroman wrote:

BALUT

That is perhaps one of the very few food in the world I would never try. And I have eaten many kinds of weird stuff.

Pift, you think thats crazy. Okay actually that makes sense never mind. Yeah the Philippines are known for their weird food. But I would rather try Balut over this stuff my mother eats all the freaking time:

Trust me when I say this, never eat purple icecream, espically if its from the philippines and it says "Ube". Because when you do try it, you would rather wish your diet was a week of Balut.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Just wait until all the forums get Over Nine Thousand threads!

That's not too far off, actually.
There are 8,839 threads total on this site. Only 162 more to go until there are over 9000. I predict we'll achieve 9K within a few weeks!

Skimaskkass wrote:

Pift, you think thats crazy. Okay actually that makes sense never mind. Yeah the Philippines are known for their weird food. But I would rather try Balut over this stuff my mother eats all the freaking time:

Trust me when I say this, never eat purple icecream, espically if its from the philippines and it says "Ube". Because when you do try it, you would rather wish your diet was a week of Balut.

From what I can tell from the picture, it seems that ice cream is made of cheese and jam. Is that why it's so anti-tasty?

Piano wrote:

From what I can tell from the picture, it seems that ice cream is made of cheese and jam. Is that why it's so anti-tasty?

Ube is indeed Jam, (the cheese part in the ice cream i've never seen before, which does seem a bit gross anyways) but ube flavored ice cream… imagine a sweet jam that has been siting out for a month then it got all purple do to spoiling and mold then you made it into ice cream. Ube it's self usually tastes fine though. But everyone I've seen try the stuff in real life except my mom hates the stuff. Even Andrew Zimmern (the guy from Bizarre Foods) tried the stuff and disliked it. And he liked the Balut if that tells you anything.

Hiroman wrote:

BALUT

Seen balut; not interested in seeing it again.

So long as we're talking about somewhat exotic foods though, to revive an old thread topic: Has anyone here besides me tried durian? Who liked it? Did you know that a Thai scientist apparently bred an odorless variety?

Durian is disgusting. End of story. I never liked it, but some even made it into durian icecream, which smelled even worse.

You should try stinky tofu. Yes, it has the word "stinky" in it.

Last edited Aug 27, 2011 at 09:51PM EDT

My mother's side has Thai roots in it (not related to stinky tofu, that stuff is Taiwanese) and I always wanted to try Stinky Tofu, it looks like cheese, some varieties anyways. Infact because it is like cheese because of how mold is in it? Right?

Last edited Aug 27, 2011 at 10:26PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!