Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

#shutupgringo2020 and other hashtags

Last posted Oct 31, 2020 at 01:40PM EDT. Added Oct 23, 2020 at 11:21PM EDT
14 posts from 12 users

Well, don't know how to put this and I rather leave it in the hands of someone more competent, the thing is right now, there is a good amount of Hashtags from diverse parts of the world

#ShutUpGringo2020
#TaisToiAméricain2020
#Молчатьпендосы
#だまれアメリカ人2020
#CalaABocaEstadunidense
#MamaAquiGringo
#HaltDieKlappeAmerikanisch

All with the same objective, they got tired of the americans telling them what to enjoy, all started with the announcement of Hetalia getting a new anime in 2021, and let just say the usual suspects didn't like that Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and imperial Japan are the main characters, in a comedic way of course, even so they threatened the author and supposely sent death threat, it started with Latin american twitter, it expanded to Russian twitter and so on, and here we are, don't know if it's worthy an entry or not but I wanted to just post it due to being trending right now in some places.

Last edited Oct 23, 2020 at 11:24PM EDT

Obligatory:

But seriously, I find amusing that the whole thing started thanks to Hetalia like, when was the last time it was relevant on the webs? 2006? 2009? And for the most part it was (mostly) a big source for yaoi, and now, in Anno Domini 2020, it become relevant once again, in one of most awful things…as a hashtag in one of the most toxic places on the internet…

…even some of the tweets reads like pro-Putin propaganda…

yay?

sigh

Please, I want to get off 2020's wild ride!!

I normally do not consider most Twitter hashtags to be wroth any amount of work or attention, but I think I consider this one a worthy exception. It does seem to be getting snowballing traction as we speak and seems to be just the tip of a much bigger cultural explosion that I think is worth documenting. I will be sure to post a lot of examples I come across if so.

Seeing Hetalia coming back in the year of 2020 may as well be a wild ride in seeing how people can react to it. I can already imagine a small number of people complain on how the show could be adjacent to fascist and nazis because of Germany and Italy in Hetalia and I can already imagine weebs and the like getting sick of people railing about it. May as well enjoy the sight of whatever shit storm comes from it.

SicklyVivian wrote:

Seeing Hetalia coming back in the year of 2020 may as well be a wild ride in seeing how people can react to it. I can already imagine a small number of people complain on how the show could be adjacent to fascist and nazis because of Germany and Italy in Hetalia and I can already imagine weebs and the like getting sick of people railing about it. May as well enjoy the sight of whatever shit storm comes from it.

I'm honestly surprised Hetalia didn't cause a shitstorm sooner, considering that its entire cast is just national stereotypes, as well it's three main protagonists literally being the Axis powers in anthro form.

Would've expected some controversy back in 2016, when the last anime adaptation was still recent and this whole social justice craze was starting to ramp up (or at least I think it was, could be wrong here).

AceAttorney9000 wrote:

I'm honestly surprised Hetalia didn't cause a shitstorm sooner, considering that its entire cast is just national stereotypes, as well it's three main protagonists literally being the Axis powers in anthro form.

Would've expected some controversy back in 2016, when the last anime adaptation was still recent and this whole social justice craze was starting to ramp up (or at least I think it was, could be wrong here).

At that point though, I'd imagine by 2016 or perhaps earlier, Hetalia died down in popularity. Any complaints it would garnered back then I'd just imagine would stick to a place like Tumblr or some anime forum.

With Hetalia making a possible come back, I wouldn't mind seeing people make a complaint about the Axis powers in anthro form and seeing what hot takes and comebacks they make that end up getting "shut up gringo" and "shut up American" from others.

Hetalia was a meh anime. Even back in the day. The show only really had the Korean Incident as only the noticeble controversy that i noticed. As for causing a shitstorm in 2021? I dont think the Political Incorectness will be an issue, NOW THE FANGIRLS ON THE OTHER HAND…. That was some Vietnam level PTSD and main reason i could not stand that show when it came out.

AceAttorney9000 wrote:

Actually there were controversy with the anime and fanbase back during the height of its popularity in the early 2010s. Namely its been accused of basically fetishizing the Axis Power, especially Nazi Germany (wink wink); which you could argue that the official work didn't intend to do so (kind of) but the fanbase especially on DeviantArt didn't quite help sway away that perception.

So yeah there was an uproar related to the Hetalia fanbase accused of whitewashing the Axis Power via kawaii yaoi art and interest in WWII military paraphenllia related to said powers.

BigK64 wrote:

Actually there were controversy with the anime and fanbase back during the height of its popularity in the early 2010s. Namely its been accused of basically fetishizing the Axis Power, especially Nazi Germany (wink wink); which you could argue that the official work didn't intend to do so (kind of) but the fanbase especially on DeviantArt didn't quite help sway away that perception.

So yeah there was an uproar related to the Hetalia fanbase accused of whitewashing the Axis Power via kawaii yaoi art and interest in WWII military paraphenllia related to said powers.

Considering DeviantArt and things I saw like "Menge-kun" I wouldn't doubt the show attracting a crappy part of a fan base that would unironically thought of the Axis powers as cool or cute.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!