Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,720 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Music Buddies

Last posted Oct 26, 2012 at 11:53AM EDT. Added Sep 18, 2012 at 01:15AM EDT
141 posts from 40 users

I really wanted this name. Deal with it.

So I really like music. I've been involved with singing for several years, and I really enjoy understanding and listening to music with what little theory I have. And I also like hearing new music.

However, I don't really know where to start in terms of expanding my knowledge of artists and genres. I could just pick out stuff at random or based on critical acclaim, but sometimes it's hit-and-miss (and the misses aren't fun.)

So why not add a bit of psychological incentive?

I had an idea. Something of a participatory project. tl;dr in bold.

• The people who are interested would post here.
  • I'll take all of those names and will randomly assign them a number.
    • There will be two of each number; the total number will be half of the participants who post saying they're interested.
      • You may see where I'm going with this if you've read the title.
  • I'll tell you the person who drew the randomly gotten number you drew.
  • That person will be your "music buddy."
    • You don't have to use that phrase, but I like it.
      • I mean, it's corny, but they're two great, friendly words:
        • Music
        • Buddy
      • What's not to like?
  • Anyway, you'll be with that buddy for seven (7) days.
  • During that time, you'll give each other a link to one song per day.
    • The song can be about anything, but try to make it something you like.
      • That way, your buddy can get to know what you like and what your tastes are like.
      • But you only have to listen to one song per day if it turns out you hate your buddy's taste in music. I figure you can choke down even 5 minutes of something you don't like, but it might give you more insight into something you wouldn't have even bothered to listen to at all.
  • When the week is over, those who are interested will reselect buddies.

In the case that there are an odd number of people who are interested, then I'll take the odd man out.

I'll suggest some guidelines too. tl;dr in bold again.

1. Unlike Mafia or other forum games, this requires little effort and little time. Just post a link to your partner's wall or PM them the link. Heck, you can just tell them the song and the artist if you can't find it on YouTube or anything. So with that in mind, please make sure you can participate for the week. If you're able to get online for just two minutes, then you should probably be able to find a link to one of your favorite songs and give it to your partner.
    1. However, if your partner doesn't send you a link, don't sweat it. People get busy, and they might have just missed a day or two.
    2. If you think they just abandoned you, then let me know, and I'll link you to some music. Or you could just sit back and chill. The best thing about this is that if someone does sketch out, you're no less worse than you were before.
  2. I would suggest that people post music to walls or via PMs.
    1. That way, the thread doesn't slow down users with slower browsers/computers. It also makes it easy for you to find the song your buddy got for you. Just check your wall or your inbox.
  3. On that note, I would normally suggest using the Music General thread to talk about music in general, but due to it crashing Shockwave of my browser tab for me (on a pretty decent computer normally,) I'd propose that music/bands that you found in THIS game be able to be discussed here.
    1. Again, I'll also suggest not embedding links here.
  4. Use the thread to discuss problems with the premise of the thread or to suggest ideas.
    1. I've heard from opspe that we should share albums. That would likely have to be more than a week-long exercise or you'd have to send links to multiple songs per day, but things like that should be considered. It'd be a fun idea for great albums out there that we've never heard.

Also, I made a thread as opposed to putting this in Music General, because I thought it was unique enough of a game. I could certainly repost this in that thread if the mods or users would prefer it there.

EDIT (I'll keep this updated as we go:

List of interested participants:

• opspe
  • Chris
  • Twilitlord
  • Penz0id
  • Patrick
  • Blue Screen (of death)
  • Bruelock
  • Cale
  • Derpy Vazquez
  • Mexx.Android
  • RandomMan
  • Wsxdas
  • Quantum Meme~! (Perhaps)
  • Fifths
  • Aristocatification
  • Alejandro
  • Muumi
  • Firo Prochainezo (LUIS)
  • Fridge Logic
  • Megalolzors X
  • Pyro
  • Coolface
  • Doctor Hobo
  • Muffins
  • Fun Police
  • Zacharias
  • Dark Ermac
  • Twins

I'll give everyone 24 hours to see this. I can extend it, but this won't require a lot of effort.

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 09:32PM EDT

Hmm, so this is like that time me and opspe posted music in eachothers walls once a week? Only organised.

What happens if you end up with a music buddy has the exact opposite of your music tastes? EG: I end up with someone who hates DNB but loves Tween Pop?

Or is that just where it gets interesting?

My main source of music is podcasts. Does that count or do I have to pick one song from the podcasts (these things are commonly an hour long, so I'd advice it).

Besides that I think I'll give this a go.

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 08:10AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

My main source of music is podcasts. Does that count or do I have to pick one song from the podcasts (these things are commonly an hour long, so I'd advice it).

Besides that I think I'll give this a go.

>2012
>Podcast Music
>2012
>20
>12

Seriously though, now that you mention it, I'm sure there was a podcast that had an artist who wore a rabbit costume with a black blazer…

Also, Verbose, I'm not sure if I'll have the time to participate, maybe.

@BSoD

That's where you spam Hanson where things get interesting.

I thought that one of the drawbacks is that your partner might dislike all seven of your songs. But our tastes change. You may hate some band or genre now, but you might get a different appreciation for it if you hear a variety of songs or a particular band/artist.

With that in mind, I'd suggest that songs you link to be less than 7 minutes. If your partner is OK with listening to something that's longer, then go ahead, but check with them first.

I think we should wait a day or two so people can figure out who their partners are before we start, so you can ask that sort of thing (if you really have to say something like "No rap!", "No country!", or "Nothing outside of the languages I know," then that's when you can. But I'd hope people could handle 7 songs that (hopefully) don't last that long.)

I was not expecting songs to be that long…poor assumption on my part.

@RandomMan

Yeah, I would suggest one song from the podcast per day. If it's not available on YouTube or another site where you could just stream the song, then that could be a bit difficult.

@Wsxdas

I make no promises.

@Quantum Meme

I wouldn't think that it would be that time consuming to link to a song on the Internet, but there might be days where you can't get online.

In that case, maybe you'll want to link them to 2 or 3 songs, and then they can listen to one for the days that you might not be on. If you don't think you'll be on much at all, then I might not participate.

Also, this isn't really formal. It's just a somewhat structured way to listen to music that you wouldn't have otherwise that doesn't take up a lot of time.

You know, I might as well join in. I have a pretty wide taste in music, so I could put out completely different types of songs for each day.

Maybe that'll guarantee that there'll be at least something that you like even remotely.

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 02:49PM EDT

I'd join, but my taste in music is rather narrow.

If you need to know, 80s Metallica & Joe Satriani (and similar) form one side of my musical preferences, while Michael Giacchino (more specifically, his work from Medal Of Honor, Mercenaries and the like) forms the core of the other side.

If you don't mind hearing thrash metal and powerful orchestral music, you might be able to tolerate me. At least I might try to keep it fresh by cycling through as many artists/composers as I know of, but you won't get much variety in terms of genres or styles.

Actually, on second thought, I'll pass.

Actually Verbose, I think I'll pass. Outside of what I know I like, there isn't much else. And knowing myself, if the person I get paired with has a music taste I dislke, the reviews won't be much good.

Thanks for the offer and great that you're organising this, but maybe another time.

This sounds like quite an interesting concept, and I think I will join. I guess I'll just make time to make this work out.

(Just a warning for my buddy: prepare for Radiohead.)

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 09:53PM EDT

I'll need to make an errand tonight, so I may not be back right as 24 hours passes.

But this isn't that serious of a thing, so if you're late and you want to join, then it'll be fine.

@Verbose

I thought that one of the drawbacks is that your partner might dislike all seven of your songs

There's a pretty good chance of that happening with me

On that note, I should probably pass. This challenge would not go over well for musically fussy people like myself. Sorry if that ruins the fun for you

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 11:17PM EDT

Well if BSOD isn't in, I shall take his place with my superior music taste. I'm sure I can enlighten you all with some quite eclectic and refined tracks that you wouldn't normally be predisposed into listen to.

I'm not fussy at all, and I'm open to listening to anything, whether it be Justin Bieber or The xx. Throw Skrillex at me if you must; I won't complain more than a reasonable amount. I do tend to favour ambient indie pop and alt rock though, and then push them as hard as I can, so prepare your walls if you get me.

Alright. I count 26 certainly and currently interested parties.

(Quantum would make 27, but he never committed, so I didn't want to partner him with someone and them not get any music.)

So that means there will be 13 pairs.

What I did (not very important to you, but I like methodologies:)

And so forth.

Looks like this:

opspe 21
Chris 14
Twilitlord 6
Penz0id 10
Patrick 25
Bruelock 2
Cale 22
Derpy Vazquez 9
Mexx.Android 5
Wsxdas 24
Fifths 12
Aristocatification 18
Alejandro 13
Muumi 11
Firo Prochainezo (LUIS) 17
Fridge Logic 20
Megalolzors X 26
404 7
Pyro 15
Coolface 1
Doctor Hobo 23
Muffins 3
Fun Police 19
Zacharias 8
Dark Ermac 16
Twins 4

• Once the numbers were all assigned to all of the users, I just paired "1" with "2," "3" with "4," and so forth.
  • So if your number is paired with another user's number, then that user is your music buddy for the week.

So the pairs look like this:

Coolface 1 & Bruelock 2
Muffins 3 & Twins 4
Mexx.Android 5 & Twilitlord 6
404 7 & Zacharias 8
Derpy Vazquez 9 & Penz0id 10
Muumi 11 & Fifths 12
Alejandro 13 & Chris 14
Pyro 15 & Dark Ermac 16
Firo Prochainezo (LUIS) 17 & Aristocatification 18
Fun Police 19 & Fridge Logic 20
opspe 21 & Cale 22
Doctor Hobo 23 & Wsxdas 24
Patrick 25 & Megalolzors X 26

I want everyone to have a day to find their first song (although a few of your have made an entire list already) and to figure out who your buddy is, so I say start at 12am Eastern Time US (that would give you about 23 hours.)

So at 12am Eastern on Thursday, September 20, you can begin posting your music to your buddy. You can go ahead and start now if you want, but just know your partner might not know you're their partner until 20 hours from now, and I don't want people to feel any pressure about finding a song for you.

You're not obligated to anything here, of course. You don't get points, there are no real winners and losers, and you're not trying to compete with anyone. You're just sharing music with users that you might not otherwise share music with.

Don't insult tastes in music (feel free to say you don't like it,) you don't have to listen to the whole song if you don't want to (defeats the purpose of the thread though,) ask me any questions if you have them, and please don't flood this thread with embeds (post links/embeds on walls or via PMs.)

Finally, if Quantum or if anyone else wants to join, then you'll get me.
If another user other than Quantum or the late user wants to join, then I'll assign you to Quantum/the previously latest newcomer.
If another person joins, then I'll assign myself to him like I did with Quantum/newcomer.
If another person joins, then I'll assign the last person to the newest person.

And so on.

23 hours-ish before you should get started. _But again, you're hardly obligated to any of the timelines. They're just guides, but it sets a little structure.)

Twilitlord wrote:

Bumpin' so people see this.

Let's do this.

Well, now that you have a randomly assigned partner, you can pretty much do whatever you want (however, your partner is expecting music from you.)

Today is the day where you say "Some of Verbose's execution on this was weak, but I think we could do (insert variation here) for maximum fun." Basically, I wanted to make sure everyone had time to voice complaints and figure out who their partner was. If you're ready to go, then by all means.

I'll come back Thursday of next week (which would be Thursday night) to see how you liked it, see if you wanted to continue with a new randomization, or if you had any suggestions (e.g. themes, restrictions, different set up so that you give music to one person, but that person gives music to another person instead of having pairs.)

Count Lionel wrote:

I would like to join! Is it too late to join for the first round or do I have to wait a week?

Norpeh. (means "no" in…whatever).

Your partner is now Epicus.

Since this isn't too, too structured anyone can feel free to jump in. I can make it work.

Again, if another person is interested, then that person will be paired with me.
If another person joins after that, then the person that was with me will then be with the newest participant.

So just like Epicus joined a bit late, I was his buddy.
When Count Lionel joined late, Epicus and Count became buddies.

That way, you don't have to wait a whole week to get in.

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 02:10PM EDT

Zach Dragon Rage wrote:

So we start posting the 20th?

Today is the first day, going until next Wednesday. On next Thursday Verbose will see whether we enjoyed it, and then give us new partners for a new week. I think.
Anyways, I posted my first one today.

EDIT: Ninja'd, sorry Verbose!
I re-read it, and we are formally starting tonight at midnight.

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 09:47PM EDT

Zach Dragon Rage wrote:

So we start posting the 20th?

Yeah. You can technically post now. Like I said, the main thing was to get people random partners and to give a schedule of sorts.

So going by the schedule, yes. You'd start posting on the 20th (about 4 hours from now. Everyone should have had a chance to know who their buddies are.)

And again, if you decide to post on here, don't embed it. Just link to it.

Penz0id's got it.

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 09:36PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!