Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,829 total conversations in 4,533 threads

+ New Thread

The Cult of Personality

Last posted Jul 31, 2009 at 09:49PM EDT. Added Jul 30, 2009 at 02:59PM EDT
6 posts from 6 users

Every forum with a user-base has its own personalities that rise to cult-status.

I don't need to explain why Boxxy was an influential personality to /b/.

But how important is it that we investigate other personalities with their own cult-followings?

What brings me to ask this is YTMND's Dr. L337.
http://wiki.ytmnd.com/DR-L337
He's been widely influential on YTMND, and he may actually be a group of people and not even a real person. I personally feel that this is relevent to our interests, but at what point does a personality become worth investigating?

Obviously I'm not suggesting that we consider an interent personality a meme. But should we plan for a "web personalities" section in which Dr. L337 and others like him would fit? Or is this just something best left on YTMND and ED?

Although KYM specializes in memes, there have been several debates over things like internet celebs, virals, mainstream memes, etc. While KYM in its current layout may focus too much on memes to suit internet personalities, I believe a "web personalities" section would resolve that. The fact that it's been brought up often enough that you took it upon yourself to ask this makes it evident that this is relevant to the interests of enough KYM users to merit its own section.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!