Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Serious question: how many of ya'll legitimately enjoy stuff like Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero, and why do you enjoy them?

Last posted Feb 26, 2019 at 04:27PM EST. Added Feb 18, 2019 at 11:38PM EST
5 posts from 5 users

The big reason I ask is because I've noticed with both of these series it seems very split down the middle on people who think they're legitimately great with good characters, action, and stories, and people who think they're actually extremely average stories that only got attention because of controversy regarding the subject of rape.

I mainly ask because I see these two show up a lot in the trending images but I personally have never really felt compelled to check them out, so I do wanna know if they're actually worth my time.

Both Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero have genuine moments and touch upon mature/serious topics, but they both get bogged down too often with generic tropes to make them truly shine. Despite me saying this, I still had a lot of fun watching both shows, I certainly think they are above average. I appreciate the attempt they make to, at least somewhat, break away from the norm. I just wish they would try a little harder to break past their boundaries (harems, bland supporting characters, lack of actual consequence) then they would be something really special, deserving of real praise.

I've enjoyed both stories and while I am enjoying Shield Hero's anime adaption I couldn't stand the anime adaption for goblin slayer. So I'll be referring to the manga for that series.

Now lets get the word that rhymes with grape first. For shield hero it was used as a false accusation for two major points, to show how far the female antogonist will go to get her way and manipulate the people around her and secondly to make the main character hated by the people of the world. As for goblin slayer it was used to show how cruel and Savage the gobbling can be, present just how disgusting those mobs can be.

Both series are very different genre so both may not be in your taste, but both share the same idea that I highly enjoy, seeing characters grow from their traumatic experience and open up to people again.

In goblin slayer you have the main character who after a traumatic moment afte goblins massacre his village he grown up to become a man who thinks nothing but how to kill goblins. He has zero experience interacting with other humans/elfs etc. And during the course of the series he starts enjoying life more.

As for shield hero you have a naive guy who came into a world thinking he might be a hero, only to be given the short straw and have his entire reputation ruined. He was forced to commit actions that would be consider hideous just to survive. During the series you see him regained his self worth again while also gaining the trust of those people who believe the lies about him.

Between the two goblin slayer is the most graphic, so if the subject of rape doesn't bother you that much and enjoy realistic planning and strategy in a fantasy setting I recommend the manga of gobbling slayer. As for shield hero if you enjoy fantasy worlds and a character rising against all obstacles, you can try to watch shield hero.

The whole concept of Goblin Slayer is based on DnD so it's a pretty standard fantasy series that focuses more on the regular adventurer rather than the hero which the world revolves around. I find that to be more interesting than the generic "chosen hero goes to save the world" shtick that's been around for decades. I haven't seen the anime yet but the manga is pretty good for what it is, and the rape scenes aren't very common once you get past the first few volumes or so.

One thing everyone should keep in mind is that monsters abducting or capturing women to rape them for reproduction is not a new concept. Often times it would be heavily implied or only mentioned in supplemental material but series in which monsters rape women that are not hentai series is nothing new. I don't really care for the rape scenes but I don't think it somehow makes the story worse.

as someone who originally hated goblin slayer based off the first 3 episodes, that made me think its just a cheap shallow excuse to show boobies and gore – i can wholeheartedly that this show is AWESOME

yeah, the story is generic, its a D&D world that we've known for decades, but so what?
this is hands down, the BEST D&D related content i ever seen.
the way the characters interact with each other is great, fun, and interesting.
and the action is absolutely superb: the combat feels realistic, every swing, every blow feels meaty and realistic,
it's also unpredictable, im always on my toes about what will happen next, what crazy tricks the slayer and his gang have up their sleeves, what new monsters and traps the goblins have, there is never a dull moment.

and i love the fact that despite literally none of the characters have names, they are all likable and memorable.

among many other things, Goblin Slayer shows that a story doesn't need to be original or thought provoking to be interesting and enjoyable.

Last edited Feb 26, 2019 at 04:31PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!