Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

why is no one doing anything with Megaman X?

Last posted Jun 07, 2019 at 03:09AM EDT. Added May 30, 2019 at 07:24PM EDT
11 posts from 8 users

despite being the most story-driven and emotional megaman games ever made, and despite having actually a fantastic setting and characters, this amazing franchise is all but forgotten in obscurity, WHY?

just look at the setting – a robot machine rebellion like in the Matrix or Terminator, but instead of humans fighting for survival, there are OTHER robots who valiantly protect them
and these robots have emotions, their loyalty is always put into question – why do they fight for these weakling humans? why is every disobeys humans have to be considered a threat?

and of course, the villain is great too – a sentient computer virus that infects robots and turns them evil.
there are so many great characters to work with and yet we have nothing, despite the universal praise of the Day of Sigma OVA

whats happening?

Megaman X is highly regarded… for the first 4 games. X5 has mixed opinions about it, and was the intended ending for the series. The 3 games afterwards had a pretty substantial dip in quality and basically killed the franchise.

The Megaman Zero games can be somewhat considered a successor to the X games, and at least those games had a proper ending.

I think Capcom doesn't quite know what to do with Megaman (other than those new versions of classic megaman such as 9-11) but unlike Sonic team have other franchises they can work on.

I’m hoping a potential Mega Man X9 just confirms this theory that some fans have that X5 has a timeline split. Like one timeline where Zero took longer to repair himself while in hiding leads into the Zero games while the other leads into X6, X7, X8 and Command Mission.

What yummines says.

The X series has a cool Terminator like premise and all, but it pretty much peaked at X4 when it comes to storytelling. Hell not even with the introduction of Axl is enough to keep that story going.

And from there, the Megaman series as a whole have been about following different Mega Man from different timelines and universe (kind of like Zelda). Guess the whole appeal is to see how these different iterations connect with one another; maybe if a new X game came out, it could explore the ground works as to how Megaman Zero world came to be or something like that.

All of these theories are good, but let us be honest here: that true ending for Megaman X8 being a cliffhanger makes it very evident that they had the intention to make X9 happen at some point and then they just changed their mind like they did for Megaman Legends 3. And that is only even more painful to realize.

im sorry, but most MMX games had terrible story.

X2, X3 and X4 are bland and predictable and its pretty much a braindead formula of "psyche! it was sigma all aloooong! you could have never seen it coming!"

X5 had a great story, too bad you needed to read through so much wall of text
X6 had a good story, and finally Sigma was not the main villain. but the translation is god awful, so unless you read the wiki, you won't understand a thing.

X7-X8 are back to being garbage

so as you can see, there are loads upon loads of untapped potential, not to mention the Elf War that lead to the MMZ period.

but lets ignore the games for a bit, why on earth is there no MMX anime? it has everything anime fans could ever want. can you imagine how awesome and succeful just a re-enactment of the main games in anime could be?

wtf is Capcom doing?

I think we're all just missing the simplest answer here.
It's because nobody cares about Mega Man X (anymore). There's a reason why they stopped making Mega Man games and that's because Capcom didn't think there was any demand for it, as well as Keiji Inafune leaving the company. Now he's busy with failing kickstarters and plant tits. I'm sure you all know.

Capcom only just recently revitalized the series through Mega Man 10, a blatant sweep of the rug from MN9's rotting corpse to capitalize on its failure, and the MM Classic/X collections for the sake of capitalizing on easy ports/legal emulation. Of course, because of all that, there's a very real chance that the entire franchise is back on an upswing, and there may be a new X title in the works if rumours are to be true.

But fuckalldat. Where the fuck is ZX3, Capcom? You gave such an obvious cliffhanger in ZXA, and all of those games were actually good.

I appreciate being downvoted for simply existing, it's great. Keeps things consistent.

Also, hot damn, OP, you really did just contradict your own statements in just two whole posts!

Pick one, OP. Does the X series have a good story and compelling characters or not? You say "most" of them don't, but if it's the whole series, then logically that means the X series has a bad story and bad characters that aren't X or Zero. Speaking of Zero, looks like you neglected to mention that series and beyond as well, minus the one off-hand mentioning of the Elf Wars that you didn't jump off of.

The Zero series and the ZX/A games all have compelling stories that make more sense and sit nicely within each other's canon. I can't say what Legends has but it has one, and it takes place after all of the other Mega Man games after humanity takes refuge on the moon to further enhance and evolve robotics to the point where humans and reploids were indiscernible and humanity went extinct because they aren't robots. And people really, really wanted Legends to have a third installment, but like I said before, Capcom didn't care at the time.

And like I'll say again, that's the reason why you aren't seeing anything being done with Mega Man X. If you ask me you're actually looking in the wrong place for a Mega Man game with all the stuff you're looking for, because those already exist in the Z/ZX games, which practically nobody, not even you maybe, have played. Those are the ones that desperately need something done with them. I'd even go farther to say that Capcom really should just hop off the Classic and X trains and continue with something a bit more ambitious and not just bank off nostalgia.

"I appreciate being downvoted for simply existing"

Unrelated to MMX discussion but pretty sure it's just because you act like a smug pretentious "better than you" asshole all the time

how exactly are my statements contredicting each other?
the premise of the MMX universe is great.
MMX1 was fantastic and it set the tone for the rest of the games, even if their actual plots were bland and forgetable.
and then MMX5, 6 and the MMZ1-3 seroes had great stories.

these great stories could have already turned into an anime, or a new game, or even just a manga. not to mention another good game.
and yes, we should have some form of media showcasing the events of the Elf wars, which we know nothing about except the damages it caused

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!