Forums / Media / Music

6,764 total conversations in 426 threads

+ New Thread

Edgy songs

Last posted Aug 30, 2015 at 08:27PM EDT. Added May 29, 2015 at 05:11AM EDT
47 posts from 30 users

Psyclon Nine is an industrial band that does the "Hellektro" style of EBM, and has a black metal influence which can be heard in areas like the lead singer using a "screechy" style of singing that's meant to go along with the "harsh and dark" atmosphere the band is mostly going for. As such they're a huge YMMV even if you like other industrial bands of a similar style like Combichrist (whose lead vocalist sings with a deep voice). They have songs that talk about subjects like suicide, demons, and general blasphemy. They're definitely "edgy," but I'd say it's the kind of edgy that's meant to fit in well with people in the goth scene who like heavier music that goes against mainstream norms.

Here's one I discovered a while back thanks to an animated music video created by Emily Youcis of "Alfred's Playhouse" fame. Australian horrorcore gore rap that's all about sexual violence (as such, EXTREMELY NSFW just by audio alone, but the coverart's… kinda NSFW too):

The most edgy songs I've ever heard are those that form a large majority of Greek hip hop. You need to know Greeks to understand their lyrics, but here is a summary of what they say: "I'm the best of all, I have billions of fans, everybody loves me, I'm the God, I have opinions for everything*, I know everything, don't challenge me, you're a little kid, you're a worthless piece of junk, now keep down and worship me". Yeah, "badass" stuff like this one.

• Even if those "opinions" are low-level clichés like "drugs are bad".

And yes he's singing in English, it's hard to tell since the singer's (Kyo) voice has a heavy Japanese accent even while singing. But yes the chorus of the song consists of the lyrics "I'LL RAPE YOUR DAUGHTER ON YOUR GRAVE"

Who here remembers those commercials on TV that tried to sell you phone ringtones by texting to a specific number?

I distinctly remember the commercial for this involved texting "emo1" to the number in question. Pretty on the nose huh? To be 100% honest it's not even THAT bad of a song, it just REALLY reeks of that era of the 00s when "emo" was a mainstream trend (a lot of bands that were big at the time, like My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco, actually hated being labeled as "emo" [if you want classic emo, that'd be stuff like early Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, and Sunny Day Real Estate]).

They made a followup to this that tried to cash in on the popularity of Twilight (not "edgy" but still worth noting how "late 00s" it is).

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Here's one I discovered a while back thanks to an animated music video created by Emily Youcis of "Alfred's Playhouse" fame. Australian horrorcore gore rap that's all about sexual violence (as such, EXTREMELY NSFW just by audio alone, but the coverart's… kinda NSFW too):

Oh boy, MC Bushpig/Passenger of Shit. I'm surprised someone actually mentioned him on this site. I don't know if I'd call his music edgy, but Passenger of Sh*t does speedcore/hardcore that's ridiculously vulgar and contains a bunch of screaming and noises--in other words, painful for the ears (though it's almost certainly intentional). His music has been referred to as crapcore or s***core. I'm not gonna link any of his songs--most of them have vulgar titles, and you really don't wanna hurt your ears.

Also, another Linkin Park song! How surprising!

Last edited Jul 10, 2015 at 12:10PM EDT

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to indulge my inner 12-year-old and post some of the stuff a much younger Farm Zombie was into.

Now, let's never speak of this again.

Last edited Aug 17, 2015 at 11:13PM EDT

Farm Zombie wrote:

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to indulge my inner 12-year-old and post some of the stuff a much younger Farm Zombie was into.

Now, let's never speak of this again.

I still regularly listen to NIN.
Dope totally sucked though.
Like holy crap, what was your 12 year old self thinking?

He was thinking "hot silver chicks."

NIN, Chevelle, and Orgy are not bad musicians, but I have to be in very particular and rare mood to listen to them now. As for Dope, I never owned any of their records, but when that video came on, I'd pay close attention. Strangely, even though Everything Sucks" has to be the edgiest song title ever conceived, the lyrics are totally unoffensive (except the chorus).

Now, I was guilty of owning this thing:

Even as a lad, I knew something was off about such a song.
"Should've left me pants on this time,
but instead you had to let me dive right in."
I dare you to come up with a worse chorus.

Last edited Aug 18, 2015 at 03:47PM EDT

Farm Zombie wrote:

He was thinking "hot silver chicks."

NIN, Chevelle, and Orgy are not bad musicians, but I have to be in very particular and rare mood to listen to them now. As for Dope, I never owned any of their records, but when that video came on, I'd pay close attention. Strangely, even though Everything Sucks" has to be the edgiest song title ever conceived, the lyrics are totally unoffensive (except the chorus).

Now, I was guilty of owning this thing:

Even as a lad, I knew something was off about such a song.
"Should've left me pants on this time,
but instead you had to let me dive right in."
I dare you to come up with a worse chorus.

I still like Chevelle and NIN, due to the amount of work put into NIN's layers of sound and Chevelle's damn catchy choruses. From Orgy, I only really liked their cover of Blue Monday and Stitches.
And ugh, that chorus is just all kinds of wrong. I can only enjoy Limp Bizkit's music ironically.

A friend of mine and I went on a campy trip once and had a conversation about Limp Bizkit. The results were interesting.

Me: Limp Bizkit was terrible. I don't know why they were so popular.
Friend: Yeah. Although Wes Borland was a good guitar player, brilliant even.
Me: He was. Also, they had DJ Lethal from House of Pain. That's something.
Friend: And there were two others, right?
Me: Sam Rivers and John Otto. I never had a problem with them.

Me: Shit. I guess Limp Bizkit was kind of good.
Friend: Yeah, maybe it was just Fred Durst that was lousy.
Me: If Wes Borland had been the lead singer, they might still be popular today.

Farm Zombie wrote:

A friend of mine and I went on a campy trip once and had a conversation about Limp Bizkit. The results were interesting.

In a perfect world…

Farm Zombie wrote:

Reminds me of Creed and Alter Bridge. When Creed broke up every member of the band EXCEPT Scott Stapp decided to form a new band called Alter Bridge. While Creed was panned for being a bad Pearl Jam rip-off thanks to the way Stapp sang and how the songs were of the "it sounds like Christian rock but it's really not" variety, Alter Bridge actually receives a lot of acclaim for songs that are catchy as feck and really showing off things like some great guitar work.

Alter Bridge basically shows that it was Scott Stapp holding the rest of the band back from being much better.

As for Limp Bizkit, I too also tend to only enjoy them ironically. I also partially blame Matt from Super Best Friends Play for getting me to listen to "Rollin" and such every now and then because damn it Rollin is actually damn catchy.

I won't be surprised if people view FFDP as the next Nickelback in terms of that band people love to hate.

Last edited Aug 21, 2015 at 02:49AM EDT

These ones are a goldmine of edgy lyrics

doubting all the time, fearing all the time, doubting all the time, fearing all the time

lost in silent grey emotion on the endless mortal way to nowhere, empty vision, deadly sadness, just the frozen tears of falling angels

girl on the vocals? Check
complicated words that sound mystic? Check
lyrics that sound random? Check

Although i don't know for 100% that these are edgy,
But like blind spy said, edgy doesn't equal bad. I think they're quite descent.

Last edited Aug 30, 2015 at 05:10AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!