Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Make Videos Worth Double What Images Are Worth When Getting Titles So We Have More Incentive To Post Them

Last posted Mar 02, 2016 at 03:45AM EST. Added Feb 29, 2016 at 10:38PM EST
11 posts from 8 users

You'll notice on nearly all profiles how there is a large gap between image and video posts. That's because it's easier to post images than it is to post videos. It takes more time to load video pages and to copy their titles than it does to load up a page already filled with images you can title whatever you want. The gap is really obvious so if this site wants more videos then it should double their value that way we have more of an incentive to post them. I value my imaginary meme titles.

Just wanted to point out something first, videos are automatically sourced and titled. It's actually waaaaaay easier to post videos than images. The real reason people don't post videos is people want to get upvotes, and almost no one goes there.

I don't see how doubling the values of videos for a title will help. However, the video scrapbooker is still in progress and people are considering halfing the requirement.

Caring Too Much About Imaginary Numbers on the Internet: The Idea

In all seriousness though this doesn't really accomplish much other than potential ego inflation. It also doesn't make much sense when put into the "pie" everyone has on their page, since it just makes it, to put it bluntly, the wrong number.

Last edited Mar 01, 2016 at 09:25AM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Max wrote:

high reward shouldn't be the reason for uploading media

Making money shouldn't be the reason for doing a job. But it definitely motivates me to do the job.

Quick question: why do we want more videos?

I'm the only person who cares about the video gallery it seems, and the video gallery is woefully undermoderated. More videos would just lead to less moderation of videos.

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

Making money shouldn't be the reason for doing a job. But it definitely motivates me to do the job.

i don't think that is a very good example. while a job pays in wages can be used for necessities such as food and shelter, internet meme points are ultimately useless.

i think what asdfghjkl said is right, the issue is no one wants to watch videos so no one bothers uploading them for upvotes. pictures are much more popular because they require less attention than a video and can be enjoyed in quick succession. i don't think we can get more videos uploaded by the site in general unless that changes, which i don't see happening.

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

Contributing to KYM isn't a job, nor should you treat it as such. If you think you "pay" is unfair, you're more than welcome to leave.

In addition, we need to keep in mind that a lot of the more documented items on KYM are often in image form to begin with. Advice animals, fanart, social media screencaps, and image macros are fare more prominent than any video counterpart I know of. The exceptions would be things like Vines and parody videos, which we actually have quite a number of.

I value my imaginary meme titles.

And if you ever posted ideas in the maintenance board that weren't just thinly-veiled attempts at grabbing more internet points, we might be more inclined to listen to them. You seriously need to stop this shit. Nobody wants KYM made into your ideal social site. Between jabs at other users, blind criticism of the mods, and a general whiny attitude, you're not doing yourself any favours.

Last edited Mar 01, 2016 at 06:25PM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Doeoeod wrote:

Contributing to KYM isn't a job, nor should you treat it as such. If you think you "pay" is unfair, you're more than welcome to leave.

In addition, we need to keep in mind that a lot of the more documented items on KYM are often in image form to begin with. Advice animals, fanart, social media screencaps, and image macros are fare more prominent than any video counterpart I know of. The exceptions would be things like Vines and parody videos, which we actually have quite a number of.

I value my imaginary meme titles.

And if you ever posted ideas in the maintenance board that weren't just thinly-veiled attempts at grabbing more internet points, we might be more inclined to listen to them. You seriously need to stop this shit. Nobody wants KYM made into your ideal social site. Between jabs at other users, blind criticism of the mods, and a general whiny attitude, you're not doing yourself any favours.

I'll keep suggesting for an eternity. Interpret my attempts at site improvement however you like.

His ideas appear dumb sure but I rather have him make 100 suggestions hoping for that one gem to come eventually than no suggestions.

A quick scan at most of his threads can tell you these won't be implanted, this is one such thread. Reasons were already posted. So this discussion is done.

Last edited Mar 02, 2016 at 03:46AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!