Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Add forum posts to both the dashboard and the activity bar

Last posted Aug 30, 2016 at 12:27AM EDT. Added Aug 24, 2016 at 03:33PM EDT
12 posts from 10 users

One of the biggest issues for most users according to the survey results is the degree of separation between the forums and the comment section, I believe giving the forums a bit more of exposure would be very useful, specially since a lot of important threads like the moderator list and the NSFW guidelines are stickied and only available in the forums, the dashboard right now only displays comments, media uploads and entry edits by people you follow/friend but not forum posts, which seems a little odd, a lot of users only use the forums as well so it renders it useless in these cases, same goes for the activity bar, which only displays when an user makes a thread in the forums instead of every time they post.

Could this be applied? What do you guys think?

Last edited Aug 24, 2016 at 03:48PM EDT

The activity feed already shows when a user makes a forum thread. it shouldn't be too difficult to extend this to forum posts as well. I for one have only ever looked at the dashboard or activity feed once or twice since joining KYM. They just aren't useful for me, since I only use the forums. It'd be nice to have a feed for forum posts that I am subscribed to that isn't my email inbox.

Nothing to add other than that I agree with the idea.

I use the Dash as a first port of call to see what happened while I wasn't here, so seeing forum posts on it would be great.

This would be a good step towards increasing forum-comment connection. As Elreigh said, creating forum threads already shows up. However, unsurprisingly, forum posts happen way more often than forum threads.

If this is possible without too much trouble, I would strongly recommend it be added.

wait a minute all the people who follow me know every time I make a new thread? & they continue to follow me? Do they see my site comments too? Is that what that thing is for, it's like a news feed for people you follow?

Your dashboard shows whenever the people you follow makes a comment, uploads an image, adds an entry, edits an entry, or makes a thread. Weirdly missing is when someone you follow makes a forum post.

Any of the deleted item types (not just forum posts) can potentially show up because it's cached for 15 minutes and that's how it has always worked.

I lowered the cache to 5 minutes.

Alright, this is cool and all, but now it's gonna be difficult to track a user's comments from the activity tab. Would you consider adding a comments tab on the user profiles?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!