Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Should we update the Textiles?

Last posted Aug 29, 2017 at 09:31PM EDT. Added Aug 28, 2017 at 12:04AM EDT
10 posts from 4 users

So I was noticing that KYM Guide to Textiles is quite old now and seems to be a mess now. I mean we are now in HTML5 and I feel that textiles guide seems to be overfilled with ideas.

so a few ideas on this:
we make a new topic post that lists all the Textiles and HTML that is now available and compounded to one post.

make new Textiles to remove the need of harder HTML codes.

or the one I highly recommend

we replace all KYM text boxes and textiles with Rich Text Editors.

ITT: We discuss getting one already-overworked web dev to replace a site's text entry with a functionally identical, yet sorta more convenient one.

Admittedly the KYM Guide to Textiles is very outdated, and most of the thread is people testing if they can use blockquote blocks correctly. That said, a ton of KYM's other site features and just as thoroughly undocumented, such as the search tool, and literally anything to do with tagging. This, on its own, does not warrant changing the features themselves; it's more an indication of more work we can give to mods. An update to the KYM textile guide would be pretty nice (or replacing it altogether, honestly).

As for textile, however, it's another one of those issues that seems to have "just ask someone more experienced than you" written all over it (thanks, ArchaicEX ). Calling simple HTML elements "harder" is probably underestimating the intelligence of the average KYM user, which is pretty damn hard to do. Anyone who has edited a KYM article has had at least some experience with these. Simplifying an already basic system to save people this shallow learning curve is like adding instructions to toilet paper.

…Or that replacing the KYM entry fields would be a 1 hour copy-paste job. It's always possible.

Last edited Aug 28, 2017 at 01:35AM EDT

yeah I get what you're saying, I know the Devs are probably hard at work (i don't directly see whats going on so who knows) I think one of the textiles I always have problems working is the sizing ones. I still feel a solid editor would help out comments, forums, and entry a heap.

either way, the New Textile forum is something we can agree on in general. Maybe I will try to do it myself.

…we are now in HTML5…

Does KYM even support HTML5? Given webm apparently doesn't work, I don't think the video tag does either.

Adding a preview button or some such thing to comments/entries really does sound like a good thing, even if it does take a few wads of bubble gum to fasten it to the site's code.

Last edited Aug 28, 2017 at 06:05PM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

…we are now in HTML5…

Does KYM even support HTML5? Given webm apparently doesn't work, I don't think the video tag does either.

Adding a preview button or some such thing to comments/entries really does sound like a good thing, even if it does take a few wads of bubble gum to fasten it to the site's code.

good point, I actually don't know if we are running HTML5 or not, I was mainly referring to the internet. but I guess it doesn't matter if we are running on an older engine.

I wouldn't be opposed to starting over with a GtT/HTML v2. There's a lot there that needs consolidated and reworked. Plus I know that some of the tip I posted are now broken. I think if we do start over, it needs to be The KYM account that makes the post. That's just my onion opinion though.

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

I wouldn't be opposed to starting over with a GtT/HTML v2. There's a lot there that needs consolidated and reworked. Plus I know that some of the tip I posted are now broken. I think if we do start over, it needs to be The KYM account that makes the post. That's just my onion opinion though.

wait KYM actually has its own account?

if anything we need a list of all the things that work:

Youtube embedding
!URL! Image posting
"Text":Url for links
@@Text@@ Textile removal
*Text* Bold Text
_Text_ Italic Text
-Text- Strikethrough
<u>Text</u> Underline (a great example on why can't we have this textile)
%{font-size:12pt}Text%%{font-size:15pt} for diffrent size text %
%{color:red}Text% Diffrent color text (should list all the colors)
<blockquote>Text</blockquote>

For Blockquotes

Starting a sentence with "h1. " for different header size. 1-6

Diceyed Liam wrote:

wait KYM actually has its own account?

if anything we need a list of all the things that work:

Youtube embedding
!URL! Image posting
"Text":Url for links
@@Text@@ Textile removal
*Text* Bold Text
_Text_ Italic Text
-Text- Strikethrough
<u>Text</u> Underline (a great example on why can't we have this textile)
%{font-size:12pt}Text%%{font-size:15pt} for diffrent size text %
%{color:red}Text% Diffrent color text (should list all the colors)
<blockquote>Text</blockquote>

For Blockquotes

Starting a sentence with "h1. " for different header size. 1-6

so Underline, Font size (unless im doing it wrong)
are both not working.

I have decided to make this into a Pastebin file so we can work on this outside of KYM Or Discord.
Pleese help me clean up and add to this list

Try this again

%{font-size:6pt}Try this again%

There's also bullets:

• Bullet 1
  • Bullet 2
    * Bullet 3

Apparently, webm is supported, but it autoplays, so if it has sound, it needs to be spoilered.

<embed src="URL" height="300" width="300">

EDIT: Not displaying for me, though.

Last edited Aug 29, 2017 at 08:53PM EDT
  • So this is a bullet
  • And this is also a bullet
    *Do I need a space? let's see

Edit1 : Bullet point added (Do need space)

Trying this again

Edit2: What now it works?

Bigger boy

Weird, i dont understand how it wasnt working before. allright I will add it as working i guess.

Last edited Aug 29, 2017 at 09:36PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!