Forums / Media / Video Games

38,729 total conversations in 2,710 threads

+ New Thread

Metal Gear Solid V General: Look At All Those 9s And 10s Snake!

Last posted Dec 21, 2015 at 07:58PM EST. Added Aug 24, 2015 at 04:11PM EDT
211 posts from 43 users

So, with one week left before The Phantom Pain comes out, all the mainstream media outlets have praised the hell out of this game. After all the drama between Konami and Kojima, the end product has finally come to fruition. Are you excited for the games? Are you here to rage at the reviews and accuse them of bribery? Sound off!

Am I excited? I've waited 3 years for this shit mate

Just replayed MGS:3 for a story recap, currently working through MGS:PO for further recappage and then I'll be playing MGS:GZ the day before release for maximum over hype.

I've been avoiding most gameplay vids so that the first experience remains new and have tried to avoid most trailers aswell. Last thing I want to do now is tarnish the release day.

Also looking very forward to the return of Metal Gear Online.

Will most likely be doing a stream next week aswell for those interested.

I don't know what else to say, this is my most anticipated game in years.

This is my most highly anticipated game of all time, I have full faith that despite the shit Konami has done it will be good. I still haven't 100% Ground Zeroes so I need to bust into maximum overdrive and get those S Ranks.

I also wonder what the next great meme will be in MGSV (I should go back and update the MGS article as well for TPP's release).

It's almost here, I can already taste it.

These past months I've been replaying Snake Eater, Portable Ops and Peace Walker, but now, I'm gonna have to get through Ground Zeroes again to be well prepared. Hell, I'll watch one more time the trailers that feature the likes of Not Your Kind of People, Sins of the Father, Nuclear and Elegia.

Last edited Aug 24, 2015 at 05:21PM EDT

This week I am going to buy a ps4, pre-order the game, and i am gonna throw my social life and hobby away just to play this game, tho I need to still play MGS 3 and 4. Just need this game in my life ASAP.

A little reminder that the game is going to be gameplay focused rather than story focused. Kotaku even said that most of the game's plot are in the form of audio logs instead of the usual codec chatter of cutscenes. No more super long cutscenes then.

I'll be here at the minimum safe distance watching the thermonuclear shitsplosion that's basically obligatory nowadays.

Predictions:

"WTF THIS ISN'T LIKE METAL GEAR"

"NO DAVID HAYTER = RUINED 5EVAR"

"KONAMI RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER BECAUSE REASONS"

"(Kojima getting blamed for everything despite being given the axe)"

"TOO SHORT"

MIMU wrote:

I'll be here at the minimum safe distance watching the thermonuclear shitsplosion that's basically obligatory nowadays.

Predictions:

"TOO SHORT"

>more than 50 hours worth of gameplay
>previous MGS games can be beaten in less than 3 hours if you skipped the cutscenes
>short

As a new Metal Gear fan, I am definitely excited for The Phantom Pain. I was gonna get the game regardless of me never playing the MGS games, but then Ground Zeroes came to the PS4 for free and convinced me to get TPP even more. And then weeks after, I got MGS2 and MGS3 for the 360 and spent a few weeks playing through those. But I digress, this game is gonna be awesome. And there's only a week left! I can almost feel it.

Mega hyped, unfortunately i have a PS3 and won't be able to play with the PS4 people.
have been practicing with GZ only so i don't confuse myself with the controls in tough spots.

Those of us that have a GZ save or pre ordered it are going to get some kind of bonus, i believe its MB staff and possibly the PW sneaking suit.

Just need to avoid spoilers until release day. :C

Samekichi Kiseki wrote:

>more than 50 hours worth of gameplay
>previous MGS games can be beaten in less than 3 hours if you skipped the cutscenes
>short

At least it'll be longer than Ground Zeroes. I don't know why Konami thought it would be a good idea to charge $30 for what is essentially a demo for The Phantom Pain. There are games that cost less but take longer to finish than this! Between this, canceling Silent Hills, and those fucking pachinko games, Konami better make The Phantom Pain worth the wait after all the shit they've pulled lately. That and the uproar over Quiet's design.

I'm close to getting a gaming PC, and I wont preorder because I got no reason to. I will purchase it when it launches as a first game to purchase for my system.

So i've been reading the review roundups and i find it hilarious that people are already hating on the game. Some guy even said it's still nothing compared to The Witcher 3 which i found hilarious considering the game isn't even out yet.

Anyways, since the game is toned down in story telling in favor of gameplay, what are your guys thoughts on it? Personally, i'm glad Kojima shifted his focus to gameplay. While MGS has been well known for its plot, i think it's also a double edge sword as gameplay at times feels sacrificed in favor for story. The fact that you can beat previous MGS games in less than 3-4 hours if you skipped the cutscenes pretty much shows it.

I think this shift has already happened since Peace Walker. Peace Walkers narrative is much more light hearted and understandable to newcomers compared to previous games and some of the important dialogues were in the form of audio logs that you can listen to in the mission briefing. Meanwhile, the gameplay has been vastly improve with controls schemes that feels like an actual shooter than an action game. One thing i also like about Peace Walker is how the game's missions are in the form of chapters with many side missions to do. This gives a form of freedom while previous games were very linear in gameplay which getting from point A to B.

Last edited Aug 24, 2015 at 10:23PM EDT

You nailed it there, Sam. In previous games we kind of pushed through and did some backtracking on a set stage, but having an open world and selectable missions like in PW is the best formula.

Apparently resource crates wont respawn in these open world maps, but we can fulton vehicles and disassemble them for resources should we need them, as well as steal them from other players FOB. I like this idea as it keeps players on the field procuring things and people in order to make up for losses in a failed FOB defense, and your crew killing each other or getting sick, or dying in outer ops.

It's the game that keeps on giving, even after completing all missions, we will still be researching weapons and gear, having fun raiding FOB's and MGO3 in October, this is GOTY right here.

Last edited Aug 24, 2015 at 11:13PM EDT

Damn right I'm excited for Phantom Pain. As of now it's ultimately the series swansong too given Kojima's no longer at Konami, but it looks like it's a great one to go out on (MGS4 already wrapped up Solid Snake's story, now MGSV will wrap up Big Boss', and as much as I'd love to see a Rising 2 I'm worried that without Kojima's influence that Platinum might run into some troubles trying to finish Raiden's story).

That nostalgia blast in the beginning of the launch trailer (it spoiled a lot of things tho).

I really like that moment when it shows how Big Boss "becomes a demon" and gets compared to Skull Face.

Also finally I know the difference between ST-84 and REX. ST-84 looks beyond badass.

While it's certainly reassuring to know TPP is every bit of a master piece as we hoped it would be, was there honestly ever any doubt it WOULDN'T be Kojima's magnum opus? Even with all the catastrophic shit that Konami put him through he still certainly finished TPP as he had envisioned it without them having any chance of destroying it like they did to Silent Hills.

God, I want to get this game so fucking bad, I really do. But 75 bucks is soooo much. Of course, I'm probably going to buy it anyway but it's going to cause me a lot of (phantom) pain to do so, especially since I almost always experience buyers remorse, even for small purchases that I enjoy immensely.

A very important thing you guys need to know that these guys played the game at review events. I don't trust these kinds of scores from these events. Not saying the game is bad, just be a little bit ready for some disappintment.

Celestia Ludenburg wrote:

A very important thing you guys need to know that these guys played the game at review events. I don't trust these kinds of scores from these events. Not saying the game is bad, just be a little bit ready for some disappintment.

The review I read was not from a review event to my knowledge. Reviewers DO get pre-release copies and the reviewer did state one difference he thought was going to be prominent in the actual copy of the game. So I doubt the hype will leak from this train.

Unfortunately, the only Metal Gear game I've played is Revengance (I actually finished it a few minutes ago). So I feel like an ass because of this. But_, I'm planning on getting Snake Eater 3D for my birthday. And I want to get a PS4 for Christmas, with MGS V and Batman Arkham Knight along with it. But I've heard that the overall lore of the Metal Gear series is….._lengthy, but since I accomplished the impossible feat of completely understanding the entire lore of the Kingdom Hearts series, I'm pretty sure I can catch up. Hopefully. Maybe.

Wisehowl wrote:

The review I read was not from a review event to my knowledge. Reviewers DO get pre-release copies and the reviewer did state one difference he thought was going to be prominent in the actual copy of the game. So I doubt the hype will leak from this train.

I find it a bit funny the reviewer criticizes some of the more supernatural aspects of the storyline. Considering how previous MGS games had psychokinetic floating men, a human bee, a ghost inside a robot, clones, a 100 year old sniper who dies if you don't play the game, a human lightning bolt, and a old guy possessed by his right hand, i find a magical shaman and a sniper who photosynthesizes to be pretty normal and to be expected.

But yeah, the microtransactions are definitely crap. I just hope it doesn't completely take over MGO.

Last edited Aug 25, 2015 at 09:23PM EDT

Too goddamn broke to afford it.
Gonna have to wait till Christmas.
feelsbadman.jpg
(Well, at least I've got other games I need to complete. coughOCARINAhackOFwheezeTIMEcough)

Last edited Aug 25, 2015 at 09:28PM EDT

Trollanort wrote:

Too goddamn broke to afford it.
Gonna have to wait till Christmas.
feelsbadman.jpg
(Well, at least I've got other games I need to complete. coughOCARINAhackOFwheezeTIMEcough)

Laika wrote:

Less than a week away

YOU FEEL IT TOO DON'T YOU?!

Do you think you can play as Ocelot in MGO and literately just pepper everyone with revolvers?

If it's anything like MGO1, he will be able to ricochet shots around corners. B)

Spider-Byte wrote:

My local game store was selling earlier today with steelbook free.

Too bad MGS is trash.

In other news, Polygon release a podcast where they discuss about MGSV and the controversy surrounding the review event. I think it's worth a listen.

Last edited Aug 28, 2015 at 07:12PM EDT

Really excited for it; every picture i see of Metal Gear stuff now is making me wish it was Tuesday already. Ground Zeroes is mechanically one of the best 3D stealth games i think I've ever played (along with Chaos Theory – Mark of the Ninja takes the cake for 2d games), and with the expanded mechanics in Phantom Pain it looks like it's gonna be really good.

PC downloading is gonna be a little weird, with no preloads but a full unlock at midnight NZ time (yeah, i know, no preorders, but a friend wants to play Ground Zeroes. it comes free with a preorder, and since I already own it I'm waiting out the trade lock on it to give it to him). Should still have it by full release with my dumb netspeed though, i think.

MIMU wrote:

Predictions:

"TOO SHORT"

“KONAMI RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER BECAUSE REASONS”

Like Pachinko machines?

Anyway, Hope it's good for you guys and Kojima's sake.

Holy shit look at all that blood!

I'm starting to think the game is going to slap you hard about becoming a killer, perhaps even more so than Spec Ops: the Line.

Last edited Aug 30, 2015 at 03:21AM EDT

Celestia Ludenburg wrote:

When I get the game. I'm going non lethal.

Good luck with that. I heard the game will adapt with you play style which means going non lethal on every mission will make subsequent mission more harder.

Yeah I always do non-lethal in MGs games because it's usually encouraged through gameplay and through the plot. The series has really given me a different outlook on games and killing people in them. Like if I accidentally kill a guard or something in an MGS game I feel legitimately guilty because of how the story is written. Kojima writes some powerful shit man.

Less than 24 hours, lads!
Gonna be going stealth as always but in a world as big and experimental as this does it even matter? surely the scope of the missions is going to be incredibly expansive?

Christmas might aswell be tomorrow

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!