Forums / Media / Video Games

38,647 total conversations in 2,704 threads

+ New Thread

Favorite vocal songs in video games

Last posted Sep 10, 2023 at 08:39AM EDT. Added Aug 05, 2023 at 02:37PM EDT
17 posts from 14 users

Songs composed by Jeff Van Dyck for the old Total War games, vocals by his wife, Angela.

The club theme from the Syndicate remake. The game itself isn't great, but I thought it was noteworthy since it was surprising to hear Miku. Also, just catchy.

Does the Ar tonelico franchise count, considering most of its vocal tracks are in a made-up language? The games have an astounding amount of absolutely magical music, vocal or not. Here are the first songs that come to mind:

(By the way, how do you guys embed videos? I'm manually copying the embed code from YT and deleting the parts that seem superfluous, but I'm sure there's a better way. Or do you just copypaste the entire thing?)

Last edited Aug 07, 2023 at 11:20AM EDT

Open your Heart (Sonic Adventure)
Live and Learn (Sonic Adventure 2)
All of Me (Shadow the Hedgehog)
Jump Up, Super Star! (Super Mario Odyssey)
One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
DK Rap (Donkey Kong 64)
Lifelight (Smash Ultimate)
Psycho Soldier (JP version)(Smash Ultimate)
Go! Go! Steel Titan! (Live A Live)

Eris wrote:

The entire soundtrack of Metal Gear Rising.

Okay instead of going for the easy answer, I'm going to put some actual effort into my post this time.

To follow up on my comment about the soundtrack from Metal Gear Rising, all of the vocal tracks are bangers. But this is the one I probably gravitate the most towards.

But this track from Battlefield 1 probably has to be my favorite vocal song in any video game I've ever heard. This purely vocal choir piece is a good mix of feeling both eerie and somber to set the mood.

If we're going for songs that include any and all kinds of vocals, I guess another track that I think deserves to be mentioned would be this piece from Sonic Rush which famously samples a Malcolm X speech.

Eris wrote:

Okay instead of going for the easy answer, I'm going to put some actual effort into my post this time.

To follow up on my comment about the soundtrack from Metal Gear Rising, all of the vocal tracks are bangers. But this is the one I probably gravitate the most towards.

But this track from Battlefield 1 probably has to be my favorite vocal song in any video game I've ever heard. This purely vocal choir piece is a good mix of feeling both eerie and somber to set the mood.

If we're going for songs that include any and all kinds of vocals, I guess another track that I think deserves to be mentioned would be this piece from Sonic Rush which famously samples a Malcolm X speech.

The Sonic Rush one is great.

I love when video games use samples from actual recordings.

Aero Fighters 2 used a actual Robin Williams soundclip from Good Morning Vietnam.

Jet Set Radio Future likewise also used Malcolm X.

Pizza Tower remixed a Van and Schenck 1920 song After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want It.

And here's bit of a morbid one, The House of the Dead used actual sound clips from the 1986 Challenger Disaster.

Last edited Aug 31, 2023 at 06:40PM EDT

Mr. Nobody Returns wrote:

The Sonic Rush one is great.

I love when video games use samples from actual recordings.

Aero Fighters 2 used a actual Robin Williams soundclip from Good Morning Vietnam.

Jet Set Radio Future likewise also used Malcolm X.

Pizza Tower remixed a Van and Schenck 1920 song After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want It.

And here's bit of a morbid one, The House of the Dead used actual sound clips from the 1986 Challenger Disaster.

Sonic CD also sampled a lot for it's Japanese soundtrack. Stardust Speedway's Present and Bad Future music is almost entirely drum beats and riffs sampled from pre-existing songs and Stardust Speedway Bad Future even samples Jocelyn Brown's "Love's Gonna Get You", one of the most sampled songs of the 80's with the sample used in Sonic CD also being the sample used in SNAP!'s "The Power", although very sped up.

This webpage has a list of Sample's used in the JP/EU soundtrack, as well as a list of times it was sampled by someone else.

As for my favorite vocal song from a videogame? There's a lot that I enjoy and I could never pick a favorite, but I'd feel bad if I didn't mention "In The Zone" from Ace Combat X2: Joint Assault. The entire song oozes the year 2009, you can't get more 2009 than this song.

Last edited Sep 05, 2023 at 08:46PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!