Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

1,101 total conversations in 44 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
Karma

Last posted Oct 09, 2011 at 12:45PM EDT. Added Jul 05, 2011 at 03:43PM EDT
69 posts from 30 users

Hey guys! James has just disabled voting on your own posts, and removed any karma you may have accrued from doing so.

Jul 05, 2011 at 03:43PM EDT
Quote

Ha! My krama is still exactly the same!

Edit: Does negative krama affect our totals yet?

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 03:47PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 03:47PM EDT

Not currently. I think we’re still debating it. If any of you have any particular opinions on -krama, I’m happy to hear it.

Jul 05, 2011 at 03:51PM EDT
Quote

NOOOOO! My 1000 karma! Back down to 720… Aw well…

Edit: I also think negative karma shouled take effect, however disable the voteing system on locked threads to avoid a complete karma takedown.

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 03:56PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 03:52PM EDT
Quote

Negative Karma should count. Can’t have the good without the bad. No Yin without the Yang. I don’t want to be a Yang. It sounds nasty.

Jul 05, 2011 at 03:55PM EDT
Quote

FUUUUUUUUUUUU- I am exposed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Im still over 1000!

I really think the neg karma will be way abused by trolls. Or if just “I” decided I didn’t like you, I could go to every thread and NegKram you to hell. (I wouldn’t do that..but)

So no NegKram plz? kthxbye

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 04:09PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 03:59PM EDT
Quote

I think negative karma is a good thing for people who make a lot of bad posts. (see: Russian fedora)

But I also think it could be abused, too. But when you think about it, positive karma can also be abused, so it doesn’t really matter.

That’s just my opinion.

Jul 05, 2011 at 04:11PM EDT
Quote

@Taryn my thoughts exactly. There’s tons of karma whoring, so the occasional karma rape (which I don’t think has happened tooooo often) would probably be balanced out.

@Alex, if there are extreme cases of abuse (say, somebody makes multiple accounts just to -k a specific user) we can probably take measures to discipline them.

Jul 05, 2011 at 04:17PM EDT
Quote

If this NegKram passes, me and Fedora are goin down Son.



more so Fedora

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 04:33PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 04:29PM EDT
Quote

Most of the time I upvoted myself was to get rid of -1’s…

If it get’s past I will lose at least 50-100 more karma.

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 04:42PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 04:41PM EDT
Quote

I’m going to be honest. I never realised how much I actually voted myself up. But I do like this idea.

Jul 05, 2011 at 04:56PM EDT

One thing we’re considering is not just showing the net karma, but also showing the ratio of +/- karma scores. We’re not sure about whether that’s a good idea or not. I think some users might be upset about their – karma score, especially if their behavior has changed over the course of their involvement on the site. It would look something like this:

Karma:
1000, 1200 (86 %) 200 (14 %)

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:11PM EDT
Quote

Olivia Gulin wrote:

One thing we’re considering is not just showing the net karma, but also showing the ratio of +/- karma scores. We’re not sure about whether that’s a good idea or not. I think some users might be upset about their – karma score, especially if their behavior has changed over the course of their involvement on the site. It would look something like this:

Karma:
1000, 1200 (86 %) 200 (14 %)

+1 confirm

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:14PM EDT
Quote

Olivia Gulin wrote:

One thing we’re considering is not just showing the net karma, but also showing the ratio of +/- karma scores. We’re not sure about whether that’s a good idea or not. I think some users might be upset about their – karma score, especially if their behavior has changed over the course of their involvement on the site. It would look something like this:

Karma:
1000, 1200 (86 %) 200 (14 %)

Me Gusta

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:16PM EDT

It would look something like this:

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:40PM EDT
Quote

I think it would look better if the karma total was in black. Just to fit in with the rest of the info.

But I approve of it being displayed like you have put it up.

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:43PM EDT
Quote

I’m not sure about showing negative karma, it would give a new way to judge people without actually knowing them.

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:45PM EDT
Quote

Chris wrote:

I think it would look better if the karma total was in black. Just to fit in with the rest of the info.

But I approve of it being displayed like you have put it up.

I assume that if a person had a negative karma total, it would be in red. And 0 would be black?

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:46PM EDT
Quote

Is not being able to give Krama in a locked thread a new feature? Or was it always like that?

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:56PM EDT
Quote

Ah thanks =) Ah well I liked seeing mods get Krama for witty ways to lock threads.

Jul 05, 2011 at 05:59PM EDT
Quote

Haha, yeah. Anyway, the thread is featured because I want to hear from as many people as possible. Anyone who has any kind of opinion, speak now!

RPP said:

it would give a new way to judge people without actually knowing them.

This is one thing that I’m worried about with displaying -karma count, especially as some people are more frequently -K’d, sometimes unnecessarily. But I would like people to be accountable for their actions on the forums. Maybe we need to have a discussion about when and where to hit that minus button. For example, Reddit has some pretty clear etiquette guides in their help section. I like these in particular:

DON’T:
Downvote opinions just because you disagree with them. The down arrow is for comments that add nothing to the discussion.
Downvote opinions just because they are critical of you. The down arrow is for comments that add nothing to the discussion.

Make comments that lack content. Phrases such as “this,” “lol,” “relevant,” “This should be the top comment”, “upboat”, or “MAN THIS IS SO COOL!!!” are not witty or original, and do not add anything noteworthy to the discussion. Just click the arrow -- or write something of substance.

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 06:20PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 06:15PM EDT
Quote

Maybe peoples profiles shouled only count the negative karma on not yet locked treads. Thus if somebody does eventually change they won’t be haunted by that negative karma forever.

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 07:32PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 07:29PM EDT
Quote

I think another thing should be considered…. there was one time I wanted to + karma to a certain post, but my hand slipped and….uh, got the -. When I tried to click + it doesn’t let me because “You have already voted on this post.” I know this is to prevent the same person from adding >9000 karma to a certain post, but I think at least we should be able to undo it.

Or am I such a newfag I don’t know how?

Jul 05, 2011 at 08:01PM EDT
Quote

What’s done is done and can’t be undone, Mister J. It’s a part of life.

But I do suggest building a time machine to go back and not -1 that post

Jul 05, 2011 at 08:10PM EDT
Quote

Mister J wrote:

I think another thing should be considered…. there was one time I wanted to + karma to a certain post, but my hand slipped and….uh, got the -. When I tried to click + it doesn’t let me because “You have already voted on this post.” I know this is to prevent the same person from adding >9000 karma to a certain post, but I think at least we should be able to undo it.

Or am I such a newfag I don’t know how?

Jul 05, 2011 at 08:14PM EDT

Oh god, that brings back memories of many a misclicks, the horror! The terrible -1 plunging towards the wonderful posts, I still wake up screaming at night.

Jul 05, 2011 at 08:50PM EDT
Quote

Whew, I was worried that was going to be a serious drop in krama for me. Turned out less than 10% of my krama was self-given. (I was afraid it would be higher, even though I don’t upvote every one of my posts.)

Personally, I like the idea of negative karma not counting, because, as it was explained to me when I asked, the negative karma simply gets a bad post hidden rather than following the user around forever should they reform. If we do end up counting it, I definitely would prefer seeing it separated out.

Oh, and I definitely agree one should be able to go back and change one’s vote, at least within a limited time if not indefinitely.

Last edited Jul 05, 2011 at 10:09PM EDT
Jul 05, 2011 at 10:07PM EDT
Quote

I feel like I lost some. 249 to 223. Sad face.

Jul 05, 2011 at 10:22PM EDT
Quote

I love it when threads randomly become about me for a few minutes.

Jul 06, 2011 at 12:02AM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

Last edited Jul 06, 2011 at 12:15AM EDT
Jul 06, 2011 at 12:13AM EDT
Quote

I didn’t notice a drop.
I only up-karma’d myself when I didn’t get karma I felt I deserved.
Also I seem to remember Russianfedora having more karma than posts… Just how many times did you up-karma yourself, RF?

Last edited Jul 06, 2011 at 12:33AM EDT
Jul 06, 2011 at 12:30AM EDT

All the guys who lost their karma have my condolences, although I have to say this highly amuses me >.>

Jul 06, 2011 at 12:40AM EDT
Quote

Nintendork64 wrote:

I didn’t notice a drop.
I only up-karma’d myself when I didn’t get karma I felt I deserved.
Also I seem to remember Russianfedora having more karma than posts… Just how many times did you up-karma yourself, RF?

Satisfactory Krama/post ratio =/= me.

Jul 06, 2011 at 12:42AM EDT
Quote

I wonder what kind of difference there would be if only krama from the last 3 months or 1 month counted. It would force users to be active if they wanted high krama counts, it would let people redeem themselves if they started off bad, it would give a more accurate depiction of how they are acting at the moment instead of just a total of how they have acted throughout being here. I think there is probably a downside to this but I don’t see one.

Jul 06, 2011 at 02:28AM EDT
Quote

I think I’ve said this a few times before, but I vouch for wiping out the karma system entirely. We should still be able to upvote/downvote posts, because some posts just plain suck.
Let me say it this way: We do it like YouTube comments. I don’t want negging to have an effect on someone’s reputation, plus some people just plain hand people karma. (Mellow and admins seem to get theirs this way, no offense.) Though, we should also feature the most upped posts of the day or maybe week on the forum frontpage.

Jul 06, 2011 at 02:31AM EDT
Quote

You know, that’s not a bad idea, although I don’t know how many people would go for it. There was certainly a time in the past when I was karma-obsessed, and I think I feel more at ease when I’m not thinking, “How will this post effect my overall karma?” As you point out, it seems to work fine for YouTube.

Jul 06, 2011 at 02:36AM EDT
Quote

I believe that krama should not be shown on your profile. The only purpose of that is to enable others to judge you before getting to know you or having to read your posts.
.
However, if we are to stick with krama on your profile, better to include negatives too so that people don’t get the wrong idea about people with positive krama just because they have a “friend” who upvotes all their posts.
.
IMO, for a perfect system, krama should not be shown on one’s profile, and its singular purpose should be to hide stupid posts and, as Katie stated, automatically featuring really awesome posts.

Last edited Jul 06, 2011 at 02:54AM EDT
Jul 06, 2011 at 02:47AM EDT
Quote

Olivia Gulin wrote:

Haha, yeah. Anyway, the thread is featured because I want to hear from as many people as possible. Anyone who has any kind of opinion, speak now!

RPP said:

it would give a new way to judge people without actually knowing them.

This is one thing that I’m worried about with displaying -karma count, especially as some people are more frequently -K’d, sometimes unnecessarily. But I would like people to be accountable for their actions on the forums. Maybe we need to have a discussion about when and where to hit that minus button. For example, Reddit has some pretty clear etiquette guides in their help section. I like these in particular:

DON’T:
Downvote opinions just because you disagree with them. The down arrow is for comments that add nothing to the discussion.
Downvote opinions just because they are critical of you. The down arrow is for comments that add nothing to the discussion.

Make comments that lack content. Phrases such as “this,” “lol,” “relevant,” “This should be the top comment”, “upboat”, or “MAN THIS IS SO COOL!!!” are not witty or original, and do not add anything noteworthy to the discussion. Just click the arrow -- or write something of substance.

I don’t think this is a good idea.

The reason we have karma in the first place is to tell how popular the user is on the forums, (that being, how well his posts are). So yes, we SHOULD give users negative karma based on our opinions of the post. Whether it be because they disagreed with us or not.

I say we allow users to do with karma at their liking as it is not that big of part of the forums in the first place, due to it not doing anything besides giving some bragging rights. As long as users don’t create multiple accounts just to karma rape, I see no problem with the current situation.

Jul 06, 2011 at 03:21AM EDT
Quote

I fourth Katie’s idea of awesome posts on the front page.

Jul 06, 2011 at 09:59AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

I think I’ve said this a few times before, but I vouch for wiping out the karma system entirely. We should still be able to upvote/downvote posts, because some posts just plain suck.
Let me say it this way: We do it like YouTube comments. I don’t want negging to have an effect on someone’s reputation, plus some people just plain hand people karma. (Mellow and admins seem to get theirs this way, no offense.) Though, we should also feature the most upped posts of the day or maybe week on the forum frontpage.

Well some people hand others karma while other people hand themselves karma through alts.

Jul 06, 2011 at 10:34AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

I think I’ve said this a few times before, but I vouch for wiping out the karma system entirely. We should still be able to upvote/downvote posts, because some posts just plain suck.
Let me say it this way: We do it like YouTube comments. I don’t want negging to have an effect on someone’s reputation, plus some people just plain hand people karma. (Mellow and admins seem to get theirs this way, no offense.) Though, we should also feature the most upped posts of the day or maybe week on the forum frontpage.

…and that is how those “Oh I love my new free ipad at blahblah.com” and “Click on my channel for the entire leaked movie!” and stuff becomes the “Top voted comments” in youtube videos. Another thing is that, once this becomes like youtube, some people will start “Once I get 100 karma on this post I will [insert crazy impossible stunt here].”
Plus, the most thumbed up post isn’t necessarily good. Sometimes people just thumb it because they agree, or just having a good day and thumbing up all the posts he sees. Same as thumbs down.
I think we have to add both ups and downs in karma, but not individually.

Jul 06, 2011 at 03:04PM EDT
Quote

James wrote:

It would look something like this:

I still love this idea. ▲

And I agree with Mr.J about Top Rated Comments.

Jul 06, 2011 at 07:50PM EDT

I agree with the top rated comments and adding a negative karma count, but not with removeing karma from the profiles. It’s apart of KYM’s culture.

Jul 06, 2011 at 09:21PM EDT
Quote

IMHO, karma downvoting affecting your stat might lower some people’s morale. Forum posting should be always a positive experience and encourage people to participate. About showing the neg karma counter, some people may get obsessed by not having a single neg karma appearing in their profile and might discourage them to even post anything in the future. Heck, if I went to my profile and saw some kind of red number, it would make my day less pleasant. We visit KYM for having a good time.

Disabling self-voting is an excellent idea.

As a side comment, this might sound very hard to implement, but think about sometime in the future. What if the karma system also applied outside the forums? For example, win karma by creating entries, by getting entries confirmed, getting your entries favorited, etc? How about getting karma’d in the meme/images comments?

Last edited Jul 07, 2011 at 12:05AM EDT
Jul 06, 2011 at 11:57PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!