Forums / Discussion / General

232,906 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Meteor nearly hits earth, creates awesome colour trail

Last posted Jun 29, 2011 at 02:32PM EDT. Added Jun 29, 2011 at 12:41AM EDT
26 posts from 13 users

Discovery article says the streaks were caused by using combined RGB filters to take the image of meteor:

http://news.discovery.com/space/first-photos-of-incoming-asteroid-2011-md-110627.html

"I then wanted to try a color image using combined RGB filters," Thompson continued. "Not surprisingly due to the very fast motion, around 200 arc seconds per minute, the asteroid shifted between color images being taken leaving me with a red streak, a green streak and a blue one! With this data its possible to calculate the asteroid's speed."

Brad wrote:

Discovery article says the streaks were caused by using combined RGB filters to take the image of meteor:

http://news.discovery.com/space/first-photos-of-incoming-asteroid-2011-md-110627.html

"I then wanted to try a color image using combined RGB filters," Thompson continued. "Not surprisingly due to the very fast motion, around 200 arc seconds per minute, the asteroid shifted between color images being taken leaving me with a red streak, a green streak and a blue one! With this data its possible to calculate the asteroid's speed."

Aww that sucks :(.

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

Orbital friendship laser missed. Reloading.

If Earth happened to be scanned be Equestria, who happened to be armed with the Orbital Friendship Cannon, they would zap it in a minute with all the war that is happening and has happened here.

Piano wrote:

If Earth happened to be scanned be Equestria, who happened to be armed with the Orbital Friendship Cannon, they would zap it in a minute with all the war that is happening and has happened here.

What's that first part? Sorry, as I am unliterate.

What's that first part? Sorry, as I am unliterate.

If Earth was surveyed by Equestria, and Equestria was armed with an Orbital Friendship cannon, they would smoke us because of our wars, hate, famine, all that crap that's going on.

Piano wrote:

If Earth was surveyed by Equestria, and Equestria was armed with an Orbital Friendship cannon, they would smoke us because of our wars, hate, famine, all that crap that's going on.

Ah. Utmost apologies for the confusion. Though I believe they would chose the path of loving and tolerating.

Ah. Utmost apologies for the confusion. Though I believe they would chose the path of loving and tolerating.

They can be vicious if they want to. Don't underestimate them….

Dinner wrote:

I heard on the radio that the ISS almost had to be evacuated. And that's no joke.

I heard on the radio that the USSR collapsed. And that's no joke brah.

Suiseiseki     wrote:

I heard on the radio that dinosaurs never existed.

I heard on the radio that aliens were invading New Jersey, and they were shooting beams of fire out of their large metal casings.

LolOrsonWelles.
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!