Forums / Discussion / General

233,039 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

@DAT CLIP!

And whoa, did they change the themesong up again? And what exactly is Twilight singing about?
AND WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THIS EXCITEMENT!?

Fifths wrote:

@Deadparrot

Everyone listen to the plush master. He knows his shit.

@Drugs with ponies

I would get high off of music with Octavia. You don't know what you're talking about if you think music doesn't count as a drug. I've tripped harder listening to music then I ever have getting high or wasted.

Why not Scratch you ask? Because wubs are the pussy watered down shit compared to classical's pure, undiluted heroine. You want something to knock you off your ass? Give Bach a try.

awwww yeaaaaah.

"I’ve tripped harder listening to music then I ever have getting high or wasted."

Well shit, I don't remember the last time music made me sleep in my own vomit! You should get that checked out bro.

@season 3 updates

Flutter shy dragon? Like this?

Octavia/rarity song? Meh
It's cool that Octavia is getting a part like that I guess, but I don't really care for the music in mlp.

Trixie? Cool beans

SweetAndDelicious wrote:

Better yet have it right here.

But seriously the animation looks so smooth now, and the music form the intro as well as the duet was incredible!

my body was always ready

I combined the better parts of the video and audio that we have so far and applied slight color correction. If/when a better version comes along, I'll probably end up taking it down.

Last edited Jul 13, 2012 at 07:37PM EDT

God, that animation is brilliant. Her mane was really the mane (dun dun, tsh) thing I noticed, but having learned that the mane is literally a bastard when it comes to animating, and seeing as it is noticeably improved from before…

COLORFUL HORSES ARE BEST EQUINES.

@Derpy

Just what we expected.

@Fluttershy dragon

Not entirely sure what that entails, but whatever.

@Trixie coming back

Though not unexpected… Not sure if want.

@Rarity/Octavia duet

Anything involving Rarity?

As for Octavia, that'd be pretty cool.

Edit

Also, this:

Last edited Jul 13, 2012 at 07:49PM EDT

Dac wrote:

"I’ve tripped harder listening to music then I ever have getting high or wasted."

Well shit, I don't remember the last time music made me sleep in my own vomit! You should get that checked out bro.

@season 3 updates

Flutter shy dragon? Like this?

Octavia/rarity song? Meh
It's cool that Octavia is getting a part like that I guess, but I don't really care for the music in mlp.

Trixie? Cool beans

I sure hope so. Besides, Flutterdragon is just like Fluttershy, best dragon!

chowzburgerz wrote:

I bet Hub and Hasbro has some plans for Derpy. Right now, they're trying to mess with our heads.

Not happening unfortantly bro, not after all that bullshit with the overly sensitive people and politically correct people.

Last edited Jul 13, 2012 at 10:43PM EDT

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Season three in a nutshell:

SOURCE
God, these artists work fast.
(I think it would have been even funnier if Rarity said 'And… who are you again?")

Works for me! I love Luna's pose there, she looks eager to be in more episodes.

Last edited Jul 13, 2012 at 10:46PM EDT

I like the music, Hell, a lot of it's catchy. I can't listen to Winter Wrap-Up just once for example, I has to listen to it multiple times.

Heh, though my favorite is when Flutterguy sings Pinkie's song about Zecora.

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

@MLPmusak: I don't actually listen to most of it. I've only ever listened to a few tracks.

\come at me brahs

You talking about brony music or the music in the show?

Dac wrote:

You talking about brony music or the music in the show?

Both.

Though mostly with brony music it's because I've never really bothered.

there's no way I can keep up with this thread so I dunno if I'll even come back but something made me want to introduce myself after hanging around here a while

I'm Cartwright I'll be 21 at the end of the month
I'm a huge fan of the show but I'm talentless and haven't contributed anything to the community but a tiny bit of charity money and a lone artwork commission
I'm a clop enthusiast and about as disgusting physically as a lot of non-ponyfan folks would immediately picture, that's why I'm not very vocal in the community

I've suffered debilitating bone and muscle disease all my life, having severe psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, and osteopenia
My bones crumble and further shittify a bit more each day, my right arm is the worst, barely being useful anymore
Meds can only slow down what's already happening to me at the cost of either the effects of low-level chemotherapy, or injections that want to give me cancer, so I just fight back the pain with anti-inflammatory stuff and the occasional prescription pain pill I'm not technically supposed to have
There isn't a job around here I can do so I'm about as useful as a hater would like to think.

Kinda just trying to live the rest of my days out in peace, but it's hard when you care too much about pony fan politics

but yeah just thought I'd say hi

@Season 3 video clip

So I'm watching the Youtube clip about the promo for season 3. What draws my attention is not the clip exactly but just how excited and invigorated all the guys in the audience were.

Before the clip even begins, dudes were cheering like the Rugby kickoff was about to start…what was coming: A kids cartoon on colorful equines…they continued cheering like it WAS a rugby kickoff. I LOL'ed.

I know it's no surprise…but still, despite being in this fandom for almost a year, that still makes me laugh incredibly hard. This is why I love this fandom so much, I always find the whole thing so hilarious

Season 3 is looking good though. You can tell the Studio has been improving their craft. And Fluttershy becoming a dragon? Do want.

@Dac

What do you guys think about the music in mlp?

Can't really say, due to my very specific tastes in music I don't pay too much attention to any music official or fanmade so I'm not one to judge the style and genre they usually use. But I'd say they are obviously doing it right. From what I hear the music has been pretty influential for many.

@Cartwright

Hello there, I think I've seen you comment on images here and there. Don't worry about how fast this thread moves, you get used to it after a while. Sorry to hear about your condition,

Last edited Jul 14, 2012 at 12:49AM EDT

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

Both.

Though mostly with brony music it's because I've never really bothered.

K, same here. I tend to just skip or turn down the songs, even if I'm seeing for the first time. It just doesn't do it for me. It's not that I don't like animated musicals, I love them ( Anastasia is my favorite), its just mlp doesn't do it for me. I can't knock them for being bad because they aren't bad. They just aren't anything special for me. They just don't really have anything there that makes me want to listen to it again or sing it. As for brony music, I like the stuff that rainbow crash and whitetail are making for Mane6, that's about it though.

Last edited Jul 14, 2012 at 01:03AM EDT
fluttershy as a dragon

Is this confirmed? Man, I hope it is. You know how you guys were talking about a body-swap episode with two of the mane cast a few pages back? I think this might be better. I'm hoping to see Fluttershy overcome her fear of dragons in this episode, and maybe come to think of them like any other creature. It has a lot of potential for a good moral, and poses an interesting use of swapping perspectives. Aaaaaaaaand now I'm imagining a dragon in Fluttershy's body. We've already seen aggression from the little yellow pony, but it would be funny to see her hoarding jewels and attempting to breath fire. Still, the way things were worded, it sounds more like transformation, not a body swap.

@MLP Music Discussion
I've never been into this type of music before. When I first heard Winter Wrap Up, I wasn't enthused. Then they wrote a song about making dresses.

>MFW

It took me about four episodes before I got to the point where the characters being colorful ponies stopped being off-putting, and I had a similar issue with the music as well. Eventually, I got over it, and now I just want Rarity to sing every single episode. Seriously, her voice is amazing, I don't care if the lyrical content is about making dresses or unrelatable songs about trying to fit in with some snobby rich folk.

For the most part, I like darker themes for both songs and music. But after getting over the initial stigma, I really started diggin' the show's "feel good" vibes, and the music conveyed the same feeling. I listen to the music often, though I still listen to my weirdo noise music more because "feel good" vibes are okay, but at the end of the day, I listen to something more for the style. That being said, I can easily understand why Dac wouldn't get into the music, or even watch the show that often given that a good show and a show that fits your tastes are two different things.

@Cartwright
Welcome to the thread! I know, this thread is moving pretty fast, but the people here are great, and the conversations are interesting. We even talk about ponies on the rare occasion!

[I'm] about as disgusting physically as a lot of non-ponyfan folks would immediately picture
There isn’t a job around here I can do so I’m about as useful as a hater would like to think.

Don't ever let anyone tell you you're disgusting or useless. Especially don't let yourself tell you that.

@Everyone
Hey, if you're interested, Survey 3 of the brony psychology survey is up.

@Pony music:
Brace yourselves fools, for the greatest bit of show music ever…

… of all time.

I don't know what it is, but I love this specific piece of background music more then any of the actual musical numbers. Not to say I don't love the musical numbers… but eeeyeh it's just that awesome.

@Brony/Pony music:

clears throat

Take your sits, we're gonna be here a while.

The songs with lyrics from the show really appeal to me, for a number of reasons. They're extremely well-written and composed, in my opinion, and they flow well together. They also seem to fit fairly well with the context of the show, without being out of place like some songs are in other shows. The singers for the ponies are also pretty good, in my opinion, especially Rarity. I mean, it made it to the point that Giggle at the Ghosties actually makes me balls-up and muscle through scary shit in games, and I can more than stand Art of the Dress, to the point that I love it. The show also kind of made fun of itself in the second episode with the singing, saying it was out of place, when it really isn't with Pinkie's character and the song itself.

Next comes the background music, which is sorely underrated, in my opinion. Accordions for Madame Pinkie, metal for Gilda, country for Granny Smith, and smoother undertones for everything else. The background music in the show helps set the mood subconsciously, pushing along the rest of the elements that make up the scenes. Animation is punctuated by the rhythm of the music (the same applies to lyrical songs, as well), and dialogue is complimented by something rarely noticed.

Also, the CMC theme song, without the lyrics, is fucking amazing.

As for brony music, it's actually a pretty wide genre with some sub-categories in there. Fifths has his acoustics, Tombstone has his electronics, YourEnigma has his jazz, etc. It's hard to confine it to just one category when it's so broad with so many artists making music. Overall, I enjoy a lot of brony music from various different artists, and a lot of the music produced shows a lot of talent for instruments and electronics. I, personally, find some of the brony musicians more talented or skilled than a lot of big-time musicians. One example that leaps to mind (actually, two) is AcousticBrony and Mandopony, two fairly large musicians with some well-written music that I enjoy a lot. I would enjoy it even if it weren't about ponies.

Overall, I enjoy most of the music related to the show, but there are exceptions, of course. Same for everything else.

@The wait for Season 3:

I remain unaffected.

On an unrelated note, that Oniichan.avi.wmv thing has been stuck in my head all day.

They fit fairly well without being out of place like some songs are in other shows. The singers for the ponies are also pretty good, in my opinion, especially Rarity.
the background music is sorely underrated

I'M TRYING TO AGREE AS HARD AS I CAN BUT THE KARMA BUTTONS REFUSE TO WORK MORE THAN ONCE. William Anderson and Kazumi Evans are stellar at their craft, and this is pretty much the only show where the songs haven't really felt forced. Though to be fair, I can't say I feel like breaking out into song after failing a test. But that's another point for another season, and we can revisit that issue when I see the song in its proper context.

@Sketch
Not to be rude, but please don't announce when you arrive or leave the thread. We try to avoid using the thread like a chat room because it makes it go by way too fast, and makes it hard to keep up with the conversation. This used to be a big issue in earlier pony generals, so we've all agreed to avoid doing that.

Or, you could just tac on something pony at the end so you can announce it without disrupting the topic. Like this:

CHANGELINGS FOR THE CHANGELING.
BTW, if anyone knows the source for this, please inform me. I'd like to see if there's a full set.

Last edited Jul 14, 2012 at 02:07AM EDT

Hello everyone. I just thought I might try communicating to you over this strange thing you call a "Forum." (I'm new to this so bear with me). After watching a few interviews with memebers of the Friendship is magic team, I started to notice that they all seemed pretty hyped for one particullar episode (I can't find the links to any of the interviews, but I'm sure you've seen them, and you can find them all somewhere on EqD). At first I thought maybe they were all talking about their own personal favs, but looking back, I don't think that's the case, as they all seemed to imply that we would "know it when we see it." If they were all talking about different episodes I doubt they would say that. So what do you guys think? Do I seem accurate with my predictions, and if so, what could be so awesome that even the writers and voice actors can't wait to show us?
Also, what do you think of my first post?

Welcome to the forums Stunthead! I gotta feeling DeadParrot's gonna like that avatar. Anyway, isn't it obvious? Clearly, the staff is all psyched about the Season 3 finale, where Chrysalis and Discord team up, powered up by the ancient evil that corrupted Luna into Nightmare Moon. The Mane 6 are so overwhelmed, they have to call on the help of The Great and Powerful Trixie, as well as guest stars Andrew W.K. and Weird Al. When the Elements of Harmony fail, Twilight turns Fluttershy into a dragon to fight Discord, while Pinkie Pie takes on Chrysalis with an M6 she just so conveniently had stashed, in case of M6 emergency.

@Gigatoast
I wanted to call the math pony Georg Canter after Georg Cantor, the German mathematician famous for working with theories of infinite sets and varying degrees of infinity, but I'm pretty sure that's way too math-nerdy for most people.
I've seen a few cries for Bill Neigh, though.

@Solaire
I've always liked the music in the show for lots of the same reasons that you wrote.
I was singing Winter Wrap-Up for months after I first saw it.
They are just so dang catchy!

Absolutely my favorite piece of background music yet (though there's a lot of other great stuff in there, too.)
I just love the happy, upbeat simplicity.

Oddly, I heard an interview with Will Anderson where he said that the CMC song is one of his least favorites personally…
I guess he had to write it in a bit of a rush and wasn't able to make it what he wanted it to be.
I've heard that having other people love songs that you don't is relatively common in composing, but it still feels a little weird.
And I don't care what you say, the CMC rock show was awesome!
How dare you disparage Scootaloo's singing!

Obviously, I know it was intentionally made 'worse' to fit the context of the episode, but for whatever reason, the cheesy over-singing just made me like it even better!
It just fit the CMC's characters so well: ambitious but rubbish (yay, Top Gear!).

Fan music, being so ludicrously varied, is hit and miss, but surprisingly more 'hit' than 'miss' for me.
Just keep me away from dubstep, rap, and overly dark stuff and I'll generally be happy.

As for what's stuck in my head:

THE CUTENESS!!!

@Stunthead
Well, hello there, my little stalker!
Now I know where all my cookies have been going!

Good to see you here!

Jackal Lantern wrote:

Welcome to the forums Stunthead! I gotta feeling DeadParrot's gonna like that avatar. Anyway, isn't it obvious? Clearly, the staff is all psyched about the Season 3 finale, where Chrysalis and Discord team up, powered up by the ancient evil that corrupted Luna into Nightmare Moon. The Mane 6 are so overwhelmed, they have to call on the help of The Great and Powerful Trixie, as well as guest stars Andrew W.K. and Weird Al. When the Elements of Harmony fail, Twilight turns Fluttershy into a dragon to fight Discord, while Pinkie Pie takes on Chrysalis with an M6 she just so conveniently had stashed, in case of M6 emergency.

Followed by Derpy arriving on her thunder cloud, but is soon defeated when the villains summon the soccer moms who love to watch FOX News, but hates Derpy. The ponies fight back when the Mane 6 become Super Saiyans. Let's continue the story shall we.

chowzburgerz wrote:

Followed by Derpy arriving on her thunder cloud, but is soon defeated when the villains summon the soccer moms who love to watch FOX News, but hates Derpy. The ponies fight back when the Mane 6 become Super Saiyans. Let's continue the story shall we.

But FOX News, the evil mastermind behind the soccer moms, was quickly dispatched by Andrew WK. His ability to party hard rend him completely immune to their terrible, terribleness.

Just when everything seems to be wrapped up, a mysterious new figure approaches:

And then Hasbro releases the side-series where 60's Spiderman, Daring Do, and Mare-Do-Well go on adventures, fight crime, and solve mysteries.

Well, I guess that confirms that Cadance is back at least.
But what does 'her magic won't last forever' imply?
Is she keeping these crystal ponies alive like a life-support system or what?
WHAT'S GOING ON!?!?!

Whoa, a bunch of new members. Cartwright's post especially was really depressing yet uplifting at the same time, even despite his sorrowful condition, he manages to find solace in ponies. I think that's one thing that I particularly like about this fandom, that we're a quite diverse and unique crowd, yet we all manage to find a common interest in something you would have never expected, a children's show about rainbow coloured ponies that are happy best friends forever.

Group song time? Group song time.

Crystal ponies? Interesting.

Jackal Lantern wrote:

@Jackal
Yep, that seems about right. Oh, and I have no idea what this "quote" button does, but if it ends with a large explosion then I will be very displeased. I'm going to try it out, so wish me luck.
@DeadParrot
Hello again, Master Parrot. I guess you caught me getting in the cookies again, huh? Sorry..,

Regardless, it's good to be here. Hopefully I won't bore everyone with my ramblings.

Edit: No explosion. That makes me a happy stalkerloo.

Last edited Jul 14, 2012 at 05:00AM EDT

Welly welly well. I know that I just posted, but look what just turned up on equestria daily!

And the second part is being processed here. It then leads into the showing of the new song, which you have all seen already.

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Well, I guess that confirms that Cadance is back at least.
But what does 'her magic won't last forever' imply?
Is she keeping these crystal ponies alive like a life-support system or what?
WHAT'S GOING ON!?!?!

Here's a theory I found in the YouTube comments:

ppinillas wrote:

To me it sounds like the crystal ponies don't like each other much and the only thing preventing internal riot on their kingdom is Cadance's love spell. That's why they need to remind them of their history as a country, I guess.

Someone else suggested the idea that the reason her magic was weakening might be because she's with child, as it were. I really doubt that, but it would kind of make sense in any other story.

@Stunthead

Boom.

Last edited Jul 14, 2012 at 06:01AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!