Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Considering leaving this site.

Last posted Jul 25, 2012 at 12:53AM EDT. Added Jul 22, 2012 at 02:13AM EDT
18 posts from 17 users

I would like to start this thread by saying I have had a lot of good times the year I've been on this site. Every day I get on this site the more I start to realize how wonderful this community is compared to other sites..

That being said, I feel like I can't be active on this site at all. I can only get on the site every other weekend, and I don't even get on as much as I can then. I feel like I'm just kinda dead weight. So, go ahead and give me your 2 cents (Even though half of you probably don't know who I am).

Well, it's completely your decision to go or stay. I will say though that the idea that you're "dead weight" makes no sense to me.

This community is pretty stagnant in terms goals. We're not aiming anywhere, we have nowhere we really want to be. To say that you were dead weight would mean that you were keeping us from achieving something we want to. I don't think that's the case at all. I enjoy your posts when they come.

As Bob said, the idea of being dead-weight here is just pure silliness. Those of us that know you, like you quite a bit. Don't worry about your activity either, we have plenty of users that aren't able to be highly active but are still members of the community, and we enjoy all the time we can have with them. That includes you.
It is up to you, but just keep what has been said in mind.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Well, it's completely your decision to go or stay. I will say though that the idea that you're "dead weight" makes no sense to me.

This community is pretty stagnant in terms goals. We're not aiming anywhere, we have nowhere we really want to be. To say that you were dead weight would mean that you were keeping us from achieving something we want to. I don't think that's the case at all. I enjoy your posts when they come.

This. Nobody's doing anything to prevent us from doing anything. I suggest you stay!

I think HolyCrapItsBob put it pretty well: You're liked here, and the idea of being "dead weight" when we're not a goal-oriented community is silly.

All of us go through times when we have a lot of free time to be active, and other times we don't. It's no crime. I personally would prefer that users who can't drop in as often don't just plain leave, but rather say, "I'll drop by when I can" and we'll look forward to those times. Who remembers Dane? He was very popular around here, then his parents blocked his access to the site, so he almost never comes by; when he does get a chance, people are glad to see him.

Be as active as you can/want to be; there's no quota.

A Dead Weight is someone/something who slows down progress more than it contributes, in general.

I have to say; in no way have you hindered anything we have tried to do here simply by not posting much. After all, what is progress on this forum? Screwing around, having fun and shipping each other? Yep, you never slowed that down one bit ;)

But if you need to quit posting, that's okay. It's your choice and we all respect it.

Just don't deactivate your account, there is no need to do that even if you have to stop posting. All it does is destroy forum records and make things more inconvenient for you if you ever have to post again. Just leave your account the way it is, maybe put up a notice that your are AWOL.

See you later.

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 04:34AM EDT

There's nothing wrong with posting every now and then. I suggest you continue doing that. Bob and BSOD put it pretty well; KYM is a just a fun community, and we never accomplish much (at least on the forums). You don't drag us down, on the contrary, you're a valued member, same as everyone else (although some members are more equal valued than others).

Just post when you can, mmkay?

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 01:27PM EDT

Saying you should leave a community because you can't contribute often is like saying that you should stop giving to charity altogether because you're too poor to do it regularly. It just don't make sense, bro.

I've been feeling the same recently… It's as if I'll step away, and when I come back, I feel like it made no difference to the community whether or not I was here. I'm not saying I'm leaving, just that I know that feel, bro.

I'm not the most active person either. In fact, almost none of you even know who I am other than "that guy" because I post so infrequently.Yet here I am. Just because you can't be active doesn't mean you should quit entirely.

Patrick wrote:

I've been feeling the same recently… It's as if I'll step away, and when I come back, I feel like it made no difference to the community whether or not I was here. I'm not saying I'm leaving, just that I know that feel, bro.

The thing is that a community will move on no matter who leaves. You may have been the greatest member of the community. You may have done great things to entertain the community. In the end, after you're gone, the community will carry on without you. It's nice to think there's somewhere where you're really needed. But the fact is that as mankind has the ability to adapt and evolve, so too does a community. A community will see the coming and going of many members and continue on its way no matter what happens.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!