Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
How long does it take for a meme to get confirmed?

Last posted Aug 15, 2012 at 01:26AM EDT. Added Aug 13, 2012 at 11:49PM EDT
9 posts from 8 users

Firstly, please do not redirect to Ogreenworld's thread, I am asking a completely different question. How long does it take for the average meme to get confirmed? I assume a few months?

It honestly depends on two factors:
~How well the Entry was written. Does it have enough Proof to be a meme?
~How much interest the entry has. This is honestly a key factor as many completed entries sit in Limbo if they have no interest.

Last edited Aug 14, 2012 at 12:07AM EDT

I don't think OGW's post said anything about time, but Chris' Menning's FAQ did.

How long will my entry take before being confirmed? Why isn’t it confirmed yet?
This is entirely dependent on the amount of editing required on the part of the meme entry editors and administrators. A meme entry is meant to be a factual, unbiased, and mostly objective explanation of a meme. Some meme entries can be confirmed within hours, while others may sit in Submissions for months. The burden of proof of memetic essence lies on the part of the meme submitter.

I'll leave this open in case another user can give a better answer, but I think you have it here. It depends upon what the staff is looking at in terms of memes, how well it's written, how well it's researched, how notable it is in actuality, etc.

Also, statistically speaking, I think outliers would make an "average" time to confirmation an inappropriate way of gauging central tendency here. Perhaps go for a median or mode time or something.

But that’s a unit of measurement, is it not?

I believe you meant distance, and not "measurement" as a generic term?
I mean, you can measure pretty much anything, but a parsec is a distance.

Well it kinda give a big spoiler to the ones that will be confirmed when the admins front page the hell out of them. We're supposed to research and document memes, not advertise them.

Last edited Aug 14, 2012 at 06:09PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

But that’s a unit of measurement, is it not?

I believe you meant distance, and not "measurement" as a generic term?
I mean, you can measure pretty much anything, but a parsec is a distance.

Wait a sec, I just didn't catch it the first time.

Yes, it's a distance, of course. You knew what I meant though, didn't you? As if I didn't know that a Parsec is a distance. Although, of course I said measurement because you measure distances wit-

You know what, why am I bothering? You could have simply just said "I think you mean distance" or ignored me!

Last edited Aug 14, 2012 at 06:15PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!