Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

9gag army drives Australian model to suicide attempt

Last posted Sep 04, 2012 at 07:52AM EDT. Added Sep 02, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
44 posts from 25 users

Everyone's favorite "humor" site 9gag started a campaign to attack anti-bullying advocate and judge of "Australia's Next Top Model", Charlotte Dawson, through twitter. Despite the bullies repeatedly and explicitly stating they were from 9gag and Charlotte acknowledging that they were from 9gag, The Huffington Post writes that the campaign "perhaps originated on 4chan." So was it 9gag or is 4chan using 9gag's name to make them look worse?

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 02:00PM EDT

First off, why did 9gag do this? I'd at least like a baseline set of motivations for them having tried to do that, no matter how stupid.
Probably has to do with the "Austrailia's Next Top Model" thing, but ya never know.

Also, dammit HuffPo. I'd call you out for there being a pretty big difference between _9_*gag* and _4_*chan*, but really, not much of a need for it, so… yeah.

Besides this, well, if le 9gag Armies is looking for respect in doing this, well, they picked the most definitely wrong target by attacking an anti-bullying advocate. That's just getting the entire website more negative PR, and making it a fatalistic error.

tl;dr:
9gag Army being dicks on the left, Huffington Post screwing up basic Internet on the right…

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 01:57PM EDT

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

First off, why did 9gag do this? I'd at least like a baseline set of motivations for them having tried to do that, no matter how stupid.
Probably has to do with the "Austrailia's Next Top Model" thing, but ya never know.

Also, dammit HuffPo. I'd call you out for there being a pretty big difference between _9_*gag* and _4_*chan*, but really, not much of a need for it, so… yeah.

Besides this, well, if le 9gag Armies is looking for respect in doing this, well, they picked the most definitely wrong target by attacking an anti-bullying advocate. That's just getting the entire website more negative PR, and making it a fatalistic error.

tl;dr:
9gag Army being dicks on the left, Huffington Post screwing up basic Internet on the right…

Well, I don't know anything for sure, but some of the tweets claimed that she herself was a bully and had caused a woman to lose her job.
Edit: This one says she's a racist and in this one she says she was called a hypocrite.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 02:07PM EDT

Pink Tokyo wrote:

Well, I don't know anything for sure, but some of the tweets claimed that she herself was a bully and had caused a woman to lose her job.
Edit: This one says she's a racist and in this one she says she was called a hypocrite.

Ah, so they're calling bullshit on her over alleged claims.

Sounds about right for the world these days.

It wouldn't suprise me if it was actually 4chan, it wouldn't be the first time 4chan tries to push the blame towards 9gag for something they did (and originally started to eventually blame on 9gag).

I'm more worried about how gullible people are the moment it seems 9gag can get the blame for something, they don't even consider checking all the possible scenarios and facts first.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 02:15PM EDT

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Some people nowadays makes me sick. Maybe it wasn't 4chan or 9gag. Maybe it was 4chan. Or could just be few trolls that are not related to either!

Either way, it's more than a few, some articles say it was hundreds.

Whitishcollar wrote:

>#LE9GAGARMY
>#LELEGGION
>Usernames: Anon Anonso, Btard, Jimmy Rustles…

Clearly another 4chan troll attempt to make 9gag look bad.

It was those hashtags that made me wonder if it was really 9gag considering they probably don't make fun of themselves for using "Le".

This is obviously 9GAG. Seriously, nothing good ever comes out of that site.

The 9gaggers who are attacking are only posing as 4channers to get the media to blame 4chan.

9GAG should shut down immediately. I would love to hear the simultaneous cry of anguish as news spreads out about that.

NeonWabbit wrote:

This is obviously 9GAG. Seriously, nothing good ever comes out of that site.

The 9gaggers who are attacking are only posing as 4channers to get the media to blame 4chan.

9GAG should shut down immediately. I would love to hear the simultaneous cry of anguish as news spreads out about that.

Badly disguised troll is badly disguised. Or just really butthurt.

9gaggers are a bunch of twats, but they're completely harmless twats. Really, they just stay in their little bubble of le overused memes. Saying that they would even have the brain capacity to make strong enough insults that would drive a woman to suicide is giving them too much credit. Have you seen the things 9gaggers say? They're devoid of any brain matter.

Crimson Locks wrote:

9gaggers are a bunch of twats, but they're completely harmless twats. Really, they just stay in their little bubble of le overused memes. Saying that they would even have the brain capacity to make strong enough insults that would drive a woman to suicide is giving them too much credit. Have you seen the things 9gaggers say? They're devoid of any brain matter.

Now, I disagree completely. Sure, they do use a lot of memes a lot, but I've been faithful to that site, along with many others, and I've not seen the word "Le" very much at all since 4chan got all mad about it. In fact, I'm starting to think whether 4chan says it more even if it IS just to poke fun/insult. And frankly, I don't appreciate your hateful attitude. You're just another one of those people who make fun of another website just to fit in. I doubt that you've even been on the website yourself. Of course, I also know that you'll more than likely reply with hate, because that's what people like you do.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 08:15PM EDT

This is one of the things that reminds me how sick the internet can be, using a suicide as a weapon in a overly stupid war over the origin of memes – and that's treated like an everyday thing. I know I should come to expect this from the internet (4chan in particular). But anyway, this was obviously 4chan, as I know that while 9gag try to act tough to stick up for themselves, they don't have the willpower to influence someone to take their life. 4chan just treat it like they're swatting a fly.

I echo opinions here that this was more likely to be a 4chan raid than anything else. 4chan has been waging a war of credibility with 9gag and their primary weapon so far has been claiming to represent the 9gag army in every raid in order to destroy 9gags reputation even further.

They did the exact same thing in the recent raid of the Mountain Dew naming contest.

I don't think I've even seen a 9gagger go around screaming "LE 9GAG ARMY!!!111". That's something 4chan made up.

Besides, as crimson pointed out; it would be giving 9gag too much credit to suggest that 9gag is capable of pulling this stunt off.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 11:40PM EDT

It's 4chan. They make it look like 9gag, but there's some obvious clues:

1. 9gag, as mentioned, doesn't have the communication power and structure to do something like this on this scale, 4chan does and does stuff like this often.
2. 4chan LOVES to blame stuff like this on 9gag. There's precedent for it, i.e. pretty much every /b/ operation since 9gag became popular. Besides, only 9gag doesn't use the term "le 9gag army". That's a 4chan thing.
3. Jim Rustles? Rim Justles? Niggah? Btard? They aren't very subtle, are they?

OR maybe it was 9gag posing as 4Chan POSING as 9gag through some convoluted triple-traitor scheme.

Also, how exactly do tweets from a few anonymous but obvious trolls drive a model to a suicide attempt anyway?

Reticent wrote:

OR maybe it was 9gag posing as 4Chan POSING as 9gag through some convoluted triple-traitor scheme.

Also, how exactly do tweets from a few anonymous but obvious trolls drive a model to a suicide attempt anyway?

Because the mainstream audience does not know what a troll is, so they are going to take what they say serious, and maybe she is depressed anyway, and the tweets pushed her over the edge.

Le Bumpkin wrote:

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY ABOUT ME, YOU EVIL 9GAGGER? I AM GOING TO PERFORM SOME MORE SELF-MUTILATION THANKS TO YOU. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 12:34PM EDT

Reticent wrote:

I read that she had been suffering from depression for 14 years. I guess this just pushed her over the edge.

>>Tons of people on 4chan/Reddit/other "underground" communities created disturbing shit, including fucking the eye socket of a bone skull, leaving messages alerting of a mass shooting/murder, stalking Boxxy, vandalizing memorial pages of suicide/accident victims, bullying and many other things.

LOL, IT WAS FOR THE LULZ GUISE!

>>9gag may (seeing as everything is great to have an attempt at dissing 9gag users) have participated in the twitter invasion to drive someone to commit suicide.

WHAT A BUNCH OF FAGGOTS!!!111

Stay classy, people, stay classy.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 01:02AM EDT

Tomberry wrote:

>>Tons of people on 4chan/Reddit/other "underground" communities created disturbing shit, including fucking the eye socket of a bone skull, leaving messages alerting of a mass shooting/murder, stalking Boxxy, vandalizing memorial pages of suicide/accident victims, bullying and many other things.

>>9gag may (seeing as everything is great to have an attempt at dissing 9gag users) have participated in the twitter invasion to drive someone to commit suicide.

At first it was like:

Now after your post I'm like:

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 01:56PM EDT

Tomberry wrote:

I will remember that one.

Le Bumpkin wrote:

Hey man, I just heard about this crazy new thing from a New York Times article.
So apparently, there's this thing in between intentionally lying to hurt people or make them mad and being totally straight faced and meaning every single thing you say called "joking"!
Crazy, huh?

Le Bumpkin wrote:

Now, I disagree completely. Sure, they do use a lot of memes a lot, but I've been faithful to that site, along with many others, and I've not seen the word "Le" very much at all since 4chan got all mad about it. In fact, I'm starting to think whether 4chan says it more even if it IS just to poke fun/insult. And frankly, I don't appreciate your hateful attitude. You're just another one of those people who make fun of another website just to fit in. I doubt that you've even been on the website yourself. Of course, I also know that you'll more than likely reply with hate, because that's what people like you do.

Dude, chill the fuck out, and quit making accusations about me. I in fact used to frequent 9gag a lot about a year ago and I moved on because the site got dumb and all of the people on the site made the same idiotic comments again and again. If there is anyone who has a right to make fun of 9gag it's me. Granted, I have not been to the site in a while, and so I do not know how it's holding up now (it would be nice to see it doing better than when I saw the site last, but I doubt it is). Also, you saying that I only do something cus it's cool and that I just love to hate on things really rustles my jimmies because if you even looked at other posts I have made you will see I'm not just fueled with hate all of the time. Please, do some research before you make accusations, because as you can see I have taken in plenty of information before making my judgement.

Sarkhan The Mad wrote:

Hey man, I just heard about this crazy new thing from a New York Times article.
So apparently, there's this thing in between intentionally lying to hurt people or make them mad and being totally straight faced and meaning every single thing you say called "joking"!
Crazy, huh?

Joking… Trolling… Same thing, kid.

Take it to your walls, Turtle and Locks. This isn't the place for it.

I don't know too much about 4chan and even less about 9gag.

But it does seem plausible. 4chan certainly would organize something like this, and I don't think the whispers and snickers of 9gag have been around for long enough for me to think that this is their sort of endeavor. Their userbase seems to be younger teens according to where people here have seen their work. I don't think most of them would bother with organizing to drive someone to suicidality.

But I think the thing people here may be missing is that there are a lot more people on the Internet (4chan or elsewhere) that truly have no sense of morality or sympathy. People have said that they hate humanity, but from what I've heard from humanity, humanity doesn't hate you. And the ones that often do these sorts of things are the ones that are very loose with their sense of morals or are very self-minded.

It's too bad that I don't believe in karma and that I try not to wish poorly upon others, because the nature of the Internet basically prevents anyone from doing such harm. They get off scot-free, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I don't hate humanity. I just feel bad for humanity, because they have to deal with these losers who say they hate humanity and actively show how much they hate humanity. Poor lady.

I don't really care who's taking responsibility here. I just want to be well-removed from the sick people doing it. Unfortunately, I find that I am closer to being in proximity with these people who hate humanity on the Internet than I am IRL.

Anyone find that to be the case?

Why are people saying that 9Gag and 4Chan are responsible like their users are part of a hive-mind collective "We Are One" sort of thing? Some people from a site may be responsible, that doesn't mean the entire site is in on it or agrees. The is little unification on the Internet, especially in places like the uber-anarchistic, literally "F*** the police!" 4Chan, whose boards do not very often get along with each other, or people from the same board, for that matter.

I am AHO Right? wrote:

Why are people saying that 9Gag and 4Chan are responsible like their users are part of a hive-mind collective "We Are One" sort of thing? Some people from a site may be responsible, that doesn't mean the entire site is in on it or agrees. The is little unification on the Internet, especially in places like the uber-anarchistic, literally "F*** the police!" 4Chan, whose boards do not very often get along with each other, or people from the same board, for that matter.

It's easier to say "9gag/4chan did x," than it is to say "trolls who happened to frequent /b/" or "individuals who are also 9gaggers." It's a given that not every person in either community participates in every raid. Also, 4chan does act like a hive mind collective. You know, the whole "Anonymous is legion" spiel? 9gag says the same thing albeit to a lesser extent.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 07:21PM EDT

It just occurred to me that how someone get real pleasure from insulting and vandalizing someone else without a second though. I mean, trolling is about having successfully pulled a harmless strings on someone and in the end everyone goes "Oh you… C: " and laughed all together to the clever silliness. But in this case, they are not trolls but obvious IRL arseholes who have nothing better to do but causing harm to some people in reality. The media totally screw up the definition of "Troll" as "internet cyper-bullies". I also think 4chan is the one responsible but unluckily I cannot make the latter statement as true. But even if the users are from 4chan, they should be the one that will be hated, not the whole site. The whole community in it has nothing to do with the occurrence but still being dragged down with the evil-doers. Some of them are pretty sure know how to pick scapegoats. Supposedly, they ought to have as least felt some guilt inside. If not, then I am just very poor at judging people and being so naive and optimistic, always believe in the good side of people when I have no idea how slightly not precise that fact is.

It always saddens me when I see humanity is gradually sliding into the pit of inferno dwelling with many unpleasant entities. But I'm sure darn not going to let these incidents take away my believes.

If there's any flaw in my post, feel free to correct me.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 07:55AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!