Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Internet Marketing, or How to Kill a Meme

Last posted Oct 28, 2012 at 07:30AM EDT. Added Oct 23, 2012 at 04:02PM EDT
38 posts from 25 users

Marketing, stay out of this, it is our job, as the internet to run original content into the ground with over usage. We do it efficiently enough as it is, we do not need your help to kill a meme. Besides by the time memes hit the mainstream they are mostly dead, and people are trying to milk every last drop of humor out of them. I understand why 4chan calls some memes "Cancer".

Well, considering that our site now just makes entries for even the most forced of memes (talking about the memes from the Presidential debates, which are just people forcing for their own political satisfaction) we can't really talk about what's cancer.

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 04:56PM EDT

Internet memes will always suffer the fate of media.

But what's inspiring to me is that we (the Internet) always overcome and bottom line have fun.
Creating content is a fine line from forcing.

It's a fast life lifestyle for media on the Internet. But the truely great content will never die.

What keeps my faith going and the appeal is that something will always surface. That's the culture.

What's bullshit is corporations steady on the starting line persuing profits and short flame.

look I'm not a researcher, but I fucking know my shit. The whole pushed entries make me cringe.

Memes have almost always been natural. These fake marketers need to step back.

But members…. We will never fall for the bullshit

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

[sincerity] Actually, I think I have a great idea!

Let these marketing types get their hands on everything related to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and use pony-based memes to sell their products!

That way, the people of the internet will turn away from MLP: FIM in disgust, and the bronies will be eradicated! [/sincerity]

[cue evil laughter]

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 08:01PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Let these marketing types get their hands on everything related to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and use pony-based memes to sell their products!

That way, the people of the internet will turn away from MLP: FIM in disgust, and the bronies will be eradicated! [/sincerity]

[cue evil laughter]

One thing wrong with your plane
You assume that people will not be happy with the fact that ponies are getting more exposure
Bronies paid to put a goddamn COMMERCIAL on air about themselves, what makes you think that they'll be disgusted at the show getting more attention?

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 08:06PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Sunhammer wrote:

One thing wrong with your plane
You assume that people will not be happy with the fact that ponies are getting more exposure
Bronies paid to put a goddamn COMMERCIAL on air about themselves, what makes you think that they'll be disgusted at the show getting more attention?

Everyone else will force them into their own little corner of the internet, never to be heard from again.

That's my plan.

Please don't derail this thread into ponies/anti-pony, people.
Seriously, just because someone likes something you don't/you can't stand other people disliking something you like, does not give you a license to wreck other people's discussions.

Alright, so lets go through the lineage of this thread for a second now and see what went wrong here because someone is mentioning ponies. There is normal discussion which then transitions to American Tankers talking about MLP, Tanker you mention MLP so much I can swear you are a closet Brony in denial, especially for the fact that you mention that you want marketers to broadcast MLP FIM related commercials.

Oh, as for your plan:

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 08:45PM EDT

[cue evil laughter]

[cue evil laughter]

You actually use < and > with HTML tags.
On topic, While my moral system senses something inherently wrong with using memes to sell stuff, it probably won't be that bad. The memes that are used in advertising will probably suffer the Family Guy effect, but more memes will always come along to replace the dead ones. In addition, the advertisers will probably use mainly advice animal related memes, and most people on this site probably would agree that those can't be ruined more than they already have.

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 08:53PM EDT

Zipperbars wrote:

It's shit like this that gives memes a bad name.

Many would say KYM gives Memes a bad name.

Who are we to judge?

@KI..D

He's not referencing HTML tags, he's referencing BB tags which uses [ and ]. HTML tags tends to get filtered in forum posts so its quicker to reference BB instead

Anyway, no I am not raging at the prospect of marketers getting their filthy hands on memes. I don't see how memes must be exclusively owned by the internet. There is no rule that they cannot leak into real life. Nor is there any real consequence when they do, other than the fact you get tired of those memes and move on. There are bigger problems in life to worry about, like actual cancer.

I upvoted Alex because I think he's right that the truly great stuff won't die just from being featured on a billboard. There's nothing to fear from that.

If the media kills a meme by using it in an advert, then that meme was probably crappy to begin with and the media is just helping us apply chemotherapy. Then we move on to new content and new idea's

I also agree that as optimistic as the marketers may sound about using memes; they will never really make themselves any more appealing by using them. I wanna see adverts give me evidence that things are worth my money, not toy with gimmicks.

As I always say: The internet knows no master. It is feral and rogue. You can't make it bend to your whim and you certainly cannot get it to play along with your marketing campaign.

So when marketers use memes, I see that as more like their own loss rather than ours.

I would like to clarify my last post, the last time I saw Nair posting which was about a month ago on the nice thread Called, Kill Your Meme, where I was somewhat happy to see him shrug off his stigmatism for a forum discussion, that is until he jumped to the conclusion that I had insulted him. Unfortunately this was not the case in this thread where he decided to engage his stigmatism against Bronies in a disrespectful manner. I do agree that he is entitled to his opinion, but I mainly wanted to point out the irony of his post, and the improbability of his plan to eradicate Bronies, I forgot to mention the fact that marketers will not broadcast anything MLP FIM related due to the copyrights involved which will make them unprofitable. Also, I am kind of disappointed that he did not continue to improve from the last time I saw him, I guess I do have to reflect on the nature of my post as well, I do see it a bit disrespectful, I am more accustomed to Nair's Anti-Brony tendencies rather so I do have the tendency to poke a bit of fun at him for the irony that he hates Bronies but brings them up in threads which have very little correlation from my past experiences with him.

@BBoD
I will say that is a fair argument, ads should be informative of the product and service that they provide, rather than try to win you over with gimmicks like memes. I personally prefer pop culture references over memes because they have a greater sentimental value, they reflect North American Culture, and the things that we love to reminisce about like our favorite movies and TV shows from any point in our lives.

You can argue that memes are a new format for North American Culture, which I do agree with, but they do not have the same profound impact when implemented on a large scale.

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 10:51PM EDT

You can argue that memes are a new format for North American Culture

Actually I don't think you could. Internet culture is quite independent of every other IRL culture and is relevant mostly to itself. It does not really represent NA culture as it is more of a mashup of every other global culture.

You'd have to be in a part of the internet that is 99% used by North Americans in order for the internet culture there to resemble NA culture. Even then it would be still be warped by the internet's global influence so that anyone who isn't a regular netizen still won't know what the hell is going on.

Using internet memes causes your advertisements to speak to internet culture and internet users all around the world who understand those memes. It won't target specific locations or demographics.

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 11:13PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

You can argue that memes are a new format for North American Culture

Actually I don't think you could. Internet culture is quite independent of every other IRL culture and is relevant mostly to itself. It does not really represent NA culture as it is more of a mashup of every other global culture.

You'd have to be in a part of the internet that is 99% used by North Americans in order for the internet culture there to resemble NA culture. Even then it would be still be warped by the internet's global influence so that anyone who isn't a regular netizen still won't know what the hell is going on.

Using internet memes causes your advertisements to speak to internet culture and internet users all around the world who understand those memes. It won't target specific locations or demographics.

I am mainly focusing on the N.A. usage of memes but your valid point is just as valid because you are approaching this at an international perspective. I am not saying that other countries cannot interpret memes, memes are cultural ideas as well which can be transferred throughout many nations and states like the "Nothing to do here" meme which originated in Brazil.

I can also say that many memes are related to IRL culture because they reflect the human condition, what we aspire to be, our failures, the quirks that we have, various pop culture phenomenon’s, political events, religious events and scientific achievements. I mostly think that they fail to have such a great impact compared to IRL phenomenon’s is because the media is young, and as the number of users increase then possible the amount of users of memes will increase as well but real life references will still be prevalent no matter which state you live in or nation you are related to.

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 11:50PM EDT

As if we already didn't know, the more things that become popular, the more they're gonna be exploited, bastardized, and milked for every cent or drop of humor they can possibly squeeze it for. And that's why memes are dying. It's a natural chain of progression, where one person tips the scale, sets things in motion, and this shit happens.

I don't know what I hate more about all this. The fact that they're pretty much telling you that you'll never need to put any effort into your creations or that they're actually succeeding, riding off the back of a funny joke they saw once.

@discussion about that certain show and its fanbase

I am disappoint that you'd even bring it up.

Yeah, I can't stand the fanbase because most of it that I've seen has yet to learn when to shut up, but there is no place for discussion about it.

Anyway, I have nothing more to add that wouldn't just be repeating my earlier post.

Just take it easy, everyone!

How to kill a meme:

Use and abuse it. Drive it so far to the ground that everything that made it great has been compressed into a soggy mess. Place dead horse on top of the meme. Proceed to beat the horse with sticks made out of sorry excuses of sub version of said meme. Once the stick are broken into tiny splinters, place on dead beaten horse and catch it on fire with "I'm going to bring this meme back forcefully from the grave" gasoline.

That's how you kill a meme.

I don't really see how 'beating the dead horse' argument matters here considering internet memes are old enough to be in Middle School already and they're still popular even for 4chan standards.

Does it make memes dead now? Not by a long shot

Will memes in general fade years from now? I don't know. That'd be an interesting discussion though.

Last edited Oct 25, 2012 at 01:20AM EDT

BalisticDerr wrote:

Wasn't me, I was just making a pointless troll attempt towards Nair, although it was very unnecessary and I know that I am relaying you this message so that you can see what I am trying to talk about and it wasn't my fault that it felt, in my honest opinion, appropriate to post that just for irony but then people start getting serious and I start getting sad then I get downvoted but I'm all like "Okay." and stuff because I don't really care about that and am I talking to much?

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

I would like to clarify my last post, the last time I saw Nair posting which was about a month ago on the nice thread Called, Kill Your Meme, where I was somewhat happy to see him shrug off his stigmatism for a forum discussion, that is until he jumped to the conclusion that I had insulted him. Unfortunately this was not the case in this thread where he decided to engage his stigmatism against Bronies in a disrespectful manner. I do agree that he is entitled to his opinion, but I mainly wanted to point out the irony of his post, and the improbability of his plan to eradicate Bronies, I forgot to mention the fact that marketers will not broadcast anything MLP FIM related due to the copyrights involved which will make them unprofitable. Also, I am kind of disappointed that he did not continue to improve from the last time I saw him, I guess I do have to reflect on the nature of my post as well, I do see it a bit disrespectful, I am more accustomed to Nair's Anti-Brony tendencies rather so I do have the tendency to poke a bit of fun at him for the irony that he hates Bronies but brings them up in threads which have very little correlation from my past experiences with him.

@BBoD
I will say that is a fair argument, ads should be informative of the product and service that they provide, rather than try to win you over with gimmicks like memes. I personally prefer pop culture references over memes because they have a greater sentimental value, they reflect North American Culture, and the things that we love to reminisce about like our favorite movies and TV shows from any point in our lives.

You can argue that memes are a new format for North American Culture, which I do agree with, but they do not have the same profound impact when implemented on a large scale.

Excuse my double-post, but I thought I'd respond to this.
I thought Nair would have gone neutral by now.
But, no. He's the same anti-brony from a few months ago that we all know and love.
Bah, that dude will be his own dude. Someone who posts something irrelevant to a thread and "manage" to get away with it.

iiBradders wrote:

Oh the irony of this discussion on such a website……

To be honest, I was kind of expecting somebody to say this.

But why would you register on a website you don't appear to like?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!