Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

When did the chainsaw and the hockey mask start coming together?

Last posted May 31, 2013 at 08:13PM EDT. Added May 30, 2013 at 07:38AM EDT
11 posts from 10 users

Not being a horror movie fan I always thought, like many people, that Jason was the protagonist of Friday The 13th and he had both a chainsaw and a hockey mask, as them being portraited always together in the maaany citations and parodies. Then I learnt from a friend that they are two different chars and belonging to two different movies.
So, when did the fusion start in the popular culture?

Hypercat-Z wrote:

Not being a horror movie fan I always thought, like many people, that Jason was the protagonist of Friday The 13th and he had both a chainsaw and a hockey mask, as them being portraited always together in the maaany citations and parodies. Then I learnt from a friend that they are two different chars and belonging to two different movies.
So, when did the fusion start in the popular culture?

It was Jason.

It started with Jason.

/thread

The Mask and Saw is really just a popular mistake. Jason popularized the Hockey Mask, itself based on the White Masks associated with Death. The Chainsaw has occurred in other films of horror genre, and being also terrifying was simply mashed with the Mask.

The fact that Jason and Leatherface are often confused doesn't surprise me. Mixing the two together would come from anyone who doesn't know slasher films very well.

The chainsaw was popularized by Leatherface, from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead fame, while Jason is responsible for the goalie mask. Interestingly enough, I believe Jason didn't actually adopt the mask until the third Friday the 13th movie, and he wasn't even the villain of the first movie (that would be Jason's vengeful mother). In the second movie, where he was the villain, he wore a burlap sack over his head. The two icons of chainsaw and hockey mask somehow became mixed together, and now we have that common misconception. To be clear, Jason's main weapon is his machete.

Professor Metallica enjoys pencils. wrote:

Yeah, I never actually watched the movies but I'm 114% positive it's a machete. I have seen metric fucktons of chainsaw wielding goalies in parodies, possibly to fuse Leatherface and Jason.

That's exactly what I meant.
By all your comments I guess it's more an archetipe than a character by now:

From Wario Land for the Virtual Boy:

Last edited May 31, 2013 at 11:26AM EDT

Friday the 13th part 1

and here's Keven Bacon In Friday the 13th part 1

Friday the 13th part 2

Friday the 13th part 3 in 3D
he gets the mask from this guy

the first time he wears it is the harpoon in the eye kill

and the hockey mask has been a part of the movies from there on

The chainsaw has always been from Texas Chainsaw Massacre

the Simpsons just spoofed the 2 movies and I think they did it first
but there was a really bad rip off of Friday the 13th that did have both the chainsaw and hockey mask called "Bloody Murder" straight to video 2000

Last edited May 31, 2013 at 08:23PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!