Forums / Discussion / General

232,907 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Best of 2013: Mid-Year Edition

Last posted Jul 01, 2013 at 09:47AM EDT. Added Jun 30, 2013 at 12:11AM EDT
27 posts from 15 users

So, we're pretty much halfway through 2013 and we saw a bunch of great memes, subcultures, events, persons, and sites introduced on Know Your Meme, but which of them have a chance to make it to the end of the year countdowns, and which of them could win KYM's Meme of the Year? My favorites so far have been: Surgeon Simulator 2013, Winnie the Pooh Home Run Derby, Amy's Baking Company memes, Moon Moon, Boardroom Suggestions, Harlem Shake, and The Villager.

Despite the fact it still hasn't been confirmed, as the year's first real meme, Winnie the Pooh's Home Run Derby remains my favorite. The hilarious reactions and gifs still make me laugh.

chowzburgerz wrote:

You're joking right?

I agree with him. Out of the memes we have succeeded in documenting, none really stick out as notable or interesting, save for Harlem Shake. Threads like this shouldn't be completely one-sided; if he believes this year has been pretty miserable, he is within his right to express it

In addition, I think we missed a lot of stuff, especially coming out of Tumblr.

Fridge wrote:

I agree with him. Out of the memes we have succeeded in documenting, none really stick out as notable or interesting, save for Harlem Shake. Threads like this shouldn't be completely one-sided; if he believes this year has been pretty miserable, he is within his right to express it

In addition, I think we missed a lot of stuff, especially coming out of Tumblr.

Oh yeah, like Misha.

Though this is recent, the Villager and Wii Fit Girl reaction is most prominent to me. Though probably just because I am a huge fan of smash bros and I have a short term memory when it comes to memes that die out quickly.

chowzburgerz wrote:

Oh yeah, like Misha.

You said?

Fridge wrote:

I agree with him. Out of the memes we have succeeded in documenting, none really stick out as notable or interesting, save for Harlem Shake. Threads like this shouldn’t be completely one-sided; if he believes this year has been pretty miserable, he is within his right to express it

And KYM makes no good threads anymore, the things we document are no longer funny, the site is becoming hell. The complaints are all too common. Being such a downer won't get you places. So I'm just going to let this video do the word:

Pretty similar. The internet is just changing, and we're adapting alongside it. Memes like when they were still "funny" still exist, people just choose to stick with the old shit "you probably never heard of" (#internet-hipsters). Yes, back then 4chan was the core meme site, but the situation changed, and now the more social websites like Tumblr and Facebook get a bigger influence, and we get to document more that originates from there and stuff that those sites find funny (may I point out: Sites that you use as well).

We have plenty of old "good" meme entries that can do with a rewrite. Why not help the website by working on those. Not to forget that we also still miss some older memes, memes that for some reason are unknown even to those who prefer the memes from those times. For a meme-boner that apparently wants more "old memes", I see them referenced and known about damn little unlike the more newer memes. Guess they are actually funny.

Back when the "old & funny" memes were popular, there was already a group that are the same as you are acting now. You are annoyed the same way as those people were at you back then due to memes. And the current meme culture will grow up to attain the same opinion, because people like to feel old and superior.

So why are current memes less funny than the old ones? I dunno, it's an opinion, you answer that. Perhaps you just like the old ones better because they make your hipster-boner grow into huge proportions, you want to feel superior to know about memes the current active web "never heard of" (yet for some reason, a lot of pre-2008 stuff gets understood damn little even by people from that time).

Yet the new ones are a lot more popular than the old ones when it comes to the quantity of the content it generates. Weird how something "unfunny" becomes more popular than what was "funny". Tastes evolve with each generation. Remember when jeans made a rebel?

This isn't aimed at just you Fridge, just the average "Why are memes no longer funny?" If they're funny is an opinion, perhaps those from back then are even less funny. People just like to complain about trivial stuff.

The internet still produces the same dumb shit it did "when it was still funny", it's just no longer funny to you because your tastes mature as your grow older, leaving you to become like those old farts that can only talk about "back in the days". It's still the same dump type of shit, just in a different enviroment, and change is scary to you.

Last edited Jun 30, 2013 at 07:37PM EDT

The best meme of the year is always the one that manages to become an unstoppable phenomenon. Shown by many derivatives that go viral and being huge even outside the internet. Last year it was Gangam Style, this year it's Harlem Shake.

may-mays entered into database this year

Too many look it up yourselves

Just confirmed this year

Cicada Block
Face Swapping
Auto Correct
Thanks Obama
Nailed It
Azumanga Daioh
Zelda Reaction
That's Just Like Your Opinion, Man
I'm OK With This
Apply Cold Water To That Burn
=3 POMF
Navy S.E.A.L. copypasta
Why Not Both

Started, entered and confirmed this year

Obama Skeet Shooting
Harlem Shake

and this is just to name a few
You guise make me disappoint. Here we are on a meme website and you don't even know your memes

Fridge wrote:

What the fuck is that

Misha Collins, actor for the role of Castiel in SuperNatural.

Being active on Tumblr you should know this stuff.

Last edited Jun 30, 2013 at 10:55PM EDT
This isn’t aimed at just you Fridge, just the average “Why are memes no longer funny?” If they’re funny is an opinion, perhaps those from back then are even less funny. People just like to complain about trivial stuff.
The internet still produces the same dumb shit it did “when it was still funny”, it’s just no longer funny to you because your tastes mature as your grow older, leaving you to become like those old farts that can only talk about “back in the days”. It’s still the same dump type of shit, just in a different enviroment, and change is scary to you.

Please, don't patronize me. I am aware of the phenomenon of, as Parker and Stone called it, "Becoming a cynical asshole."

The problem is not with me, it is with the content we are aggregating. We claim to be a place of research, but the truth of the matter is that we only "research" that which is thrown at our doorstep by Reddit and news sites and hardly touch the surface of true internet culture. That is the difference between then and now. It was more creative, and less polluted by corporate interests. Back then, one had to use an actual image editing program to create a picture he thought was funny and worthy of sharing. Now, one simply goes to make what he calls a "meme" but what is actually an image macro template that's been used a thousand times before on Imgur that he thinks is funny and worthy of massive amounts of link karma. Memes are not the same, they have been warped by the masses and have worsened as a result.

The internet used to be a place of creativity, and used to be a new frontier of communication and sharing of ideas; in certain places, it still is. But we are not there. We are simply at the place where it is easier to document the paltry jokes that are thrown at us. Genuine culture flourishes in places where there is no payoff, and memes flourish there. Years ago, that was 4chan. Now, it's Tumblr, and the fact that every little item of interest on that site that develops from its culture slips through our fingers means that we are not doing well enough at our jobs. Or rather, the users that make and edit entries, I haven't done that in months and I won't pretend that I do.

So in summation, this has been a terrible year, and all we have to show for it is a bunch of 30 second videos that any dipshit with a horse mask and a free afternoon can make. So if you come up to me and declare blindly that this has been an excellent year for new ideas then I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Please, don't tell me that everything is the same. It isn't. Nothing can ever be the same as it was. But it can be better than it is now.

But hey, what's the word of a cynical asshole like me against a guy with even the most meager power?

Do not waste your time with a response, I will not be coming back to this matter.

Adam DeLand wrote:

The best meme of the year is always the one that manages to become an unstoppable phenomenon. Shown by many derivatives that go viral and being huge even outside the internet. Last year it was Gangam Style, this year it's Harlem Shake.

The fad died out in less than 2 months. Honestly, Gangnam Style is still going strong right now (as in parodies, etc.), might as well give it a round of applause to have a two-year streak. That’s really my two cents, barely anyone does the Harlem Shake anymore. I cringe every time I hear that “Con los terroristas…”

@Fridge Logic

You do have a point about that. These days “memes” aren’t even classified as actual memes now. Memes used to be something that’s funny and original just copied and reposted a bunch of times before people lose interest slowly, but nowadays it’s just something waved up into the air and copied and pasted a shitload of times to the point it just beating a dead horse. Latter being much like the Harlem Shake. It lost footing in less that two months, if not one, yet people still try to “revive” it but that sets its state in the cement.

I’m not afraid of change. I’m afraid of what changed.

2013 – 4027/2 has not been a good half-year for the internet, neither the world (fuck, I’ve never seen so many goddamn bombings in such a small time-frame), I hope we pick up and move along from this.

Today is July 1, 2013

Last edited Jul 01, 2013 at 03:03AM EDT

Fridge Logic wrote:

The problem is not with me, it is with the content we are aggregating. We claim to be a place of research, but the truth of the matter is that we only “research” that which is thrown at our doorstep by Reddit and news sites and hardly touch the surface of true internet culture. That is the difference between then and now. It was more creative, and less polluted by corporate interests.

And what if we do? Does that not make them relevant to internet culture? The times change, and the creators of what was funny gave up their top spot. Perhaps the current creations are more shit, perhaps they are not, but we can be certain that they wouldn't spread if they were utter shit and unfunny. People simply have different interests than you Fridge, fucking deal with it.

And please, just please, list me all the new memes we haven't documented. Hell, let's do the old ones we're missing as well while at it. We have the options on the site to point out the stuff we're missing, and both mods and staff even maintain a list of what is missing. For people who believe the site is massively lacking at "actual memes", I see the content we are missing referenced damn little. You're like those people who don't vote and still have the guts to complain about the outcome.

There was a time where internet culture was something you didn't tell your friends about or made public, it was one of those social taboos. But times changed. There was also a time when gay mariage was a social and political taboo, but look how far we've gotten there. As I said in my earlier post, change is scary to you.

Back then, one had to use an actual image editing program to create a picture he thought was funny and worthy of sharing.

And how is the old content more "creative" on the area of software they required. Looking back at some of the older more popular stuff, taking things like O RLY, All Ur Base, LolCats, Gary Oak. Not too many years ago videos about a Stormtrooper airhumping and a Kid with a Lightsaber were the shit. How is that any different from the random shit produced now? Some of those things don't even require "creativity". Lolcats are just fucking image macros, Rage Faces (when they were still funny and popular) are dumb drawings with zero effort. If you believe those things were "super original and creative", look again, because they still require the same amount of effort, which is none. People are lazy, and want to make quick jokes and content, this never changed.

If any, I'd say that artist gained a higher spot in internet culture, drawing content relevant to internet phenomena. Those weren't as active "back then", and drawings probably take a bit more effort than simple image macros. If any, they have made todays memes "more creative", as art related memes are getting more attention.

Now, one simply goes to make what he calls a “meme” but what is actually an image macro template that’s been used a thousand times before on Imgur that he thinks is funny and worthy of massive amounts of link karma. Memes are not the same, they have been warped by the masses and have worsened as a result.

Describe "meme". Because at the end isn't that what they're about? Content being shared by a lot of people online? Perhaps they aren't as funny to you, but that doesn't mean that's a general opinion everyone MUST follow. I don't like them either all the time, but I accepted that humor is a matter of taste.

Memes are not the same, they have been warped by the masses and have worsened as a result.

Describe: "Elitism" and "Hipster". The more popular something gets, the more you hate it.

The internet used to be a place of creativity, and used to be a new frontier of communication and sharing of ideas; in certain places, it still is. But we are not there. We are simply at the place where it is easier to document the paltry jokes that are thrown at us. Genuine culture flourishes in places where there is no payoff, and memes flourish there.

>But we are not there.

Please list me all the things we're missing. Go on, do it. Plenty of Tumblr stuff was documented, but we can't spend 24/7 on documenting Tumblr. For someone damn certain we're missing out on all the good stuff, you must have some knowledge on what we don't have.

Or rather, the users that make and edit entries, I haven’t done that in months and I won’t pretend that I do.

Than you are one of the reasons of your own complaints. Shitting on stuff you have no interest in fixing. Being one of those people who complain about the outcome of elections while they haven't even voted.

So in summation, this has been a terrible year, and all we have to show for it is a bunch of 30 second videos that any dipshit with a horse mask and a free afternoon can make.

David After Dentist, The Fall of Edgar, Star Wars Kid, Numa Numa, Dancing Stormtrooper. Some of the more "older" vids any dipshit can make. Quantity only changed, quality is still the same.

And I'm fairly certain that outside of the Harlem Shake (which requires damn little effort, no arguing there), most of the derivative videos created based on popular vids takes a bit more than one afternoon.

But hey, what’s the word of a cynical asshole like me against a guy with even the most meager power?

What is an opinion to another opinion? Unless I actually start power abusing people who disagree with me I don't see how that's supposed to bring a point.

Do not waste your time with a response, I will not be coming back to this matter.

And give you the honor of running away with the final saying? I do not think so.

Last edited Jul 01, 2013 at 09:08AM EDT

Fridge Logic wrote:

The internet used to be a place of creativity, and used to be a new frontier of communication and sharing of ideas…

As for the best meme so far this year? Home Run Derby easily.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!