Forums / Discussion / General

233,020 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Remember.......

Last posted Nov 06, 2013 at 12:25AM EST. Added Nov 05, 2013 at 02:04AM EST
11 posts from 7 users

Guy Fawkes was pretty meh today.

Me and my friends didn't celebrate it. We didn't even watch the neighbors as they launched flares into the sky.

Part of the reason is that we feel really disenfranchised with it now. We remember when the awesome fireworks that made real explosions were still legal to fire at our siblings. Such as skyrockets, firecrackers, buzzy bees, roman candles and those spinning disc things which we rolled down hills.

All of them are banned because morons clumsily lit their houses (and themselves) on fire with them every single year. Now the only legal fireworks are the lame sparklers and flares. Plus they still cost an arm and a leg to buy.

Little kids are still enamoured by Guy Fawkes day but they will never know the glory of the days when we celebrated Guy Fawkes by throwing flammable aerosols into bonfires and played games such as "Roman Candle Tag", "Skyrocket Jenga" and "Light the possum on fire"

We only celebrate it because we needed an excuse to make explosions and decided to inherit it from the UK. So whats the point when we can't do that anymore.

Last edited Nov 05, 2013 at 06:02AM EST

Back during the 1700's, I'm sure that the foiling of Fawkes plan to otherthrow the government was a huge victory for the Protestant church. Had it succeeded with Fawkes destroying the British parliament and installing a Catholic monarchy in it's place, humanity would likely be set back another century. It makes sense that the UK would want to commemorate the event for years later.

But other nations, such as the British colonies only celebrate it because LOLFIREWORKS.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!