Forums / Discussion / General

171,288 total conversations in 5,502 threads

+ New Thread


A lot of PS4's seem to be bricked

Last posted Nov 26, 2013 at 03:08PM EST. Added Nov 16, 2013 at 04:56PM EST
36 posts from 18 users

If each one star review equals a bricked console, there is most definitely a high defective rate here.

Apparently, it has to do with something regarding the Foxconn Factory Scandal, where angry student(s) apparently started sabotaging the assembly line according to this guy.

Anyone here having the issue?

And as warning to potential buyers, don’t buy a PS4 that was manufactured by Foxconn Yantai factory August – September, else you have a chance of getting bricked hardware.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 04:59PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 04:56PM EST
Quote

Appropriate video:

Hopefully it’s a temporary hardware function instead of permanent thing.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 06:13PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 06:12PM EST
Quote

Evilthing wrote:

Appropriate video:

Hopefully it’s a temporary hardware function instead of permanent thing.

When did the Onion stop being a parody?

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:16PM EST

Sweatie Killer wrote:

When did the Onion stop being a parody?

By the time they published an article “Bush: ‘Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over’” in January of 2001.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 07:37PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 07:37PM EST
Quote

Actually, I don’t keep up with general video game news, but a friend told me that after the Red Ring of Death fiasco with Xbox, something like this might happen with future consoles trying to compete with other consoles.

I still intend on getting a PS4 if money allows (and I’ll get the Wii U when the Zelda Wii U and Smash Bros. Wii U comes out), but yeah. Perhaps this and the Red Ring of Death will begin to shift when people begin to purchase consoles. Let other very enthusiastic gamers get in on the midnight launches to “test” out the new machines in the field before the actual consumer base begins to buy it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:07PM EST

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:15PM EST

This is why I generally tend to stick with PC,so I can avoid all the console errors that seem to happen now.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:04PM EST
Quote

PC Master Race seems to be leaking into here. Better plug the holes before their fabulousness enlightens us all! [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, the gaming industry has some pathetically low standards nowadays. Notice how most every game or hardware needs a patch nowadays? Yeah.

But this issue isn’t a software issue. This is hardware. Contrary to what Elitists tend to believe, Hardware Errors are not just limited to the dirty peasantry of the console market.

Nov 17, 2013 at 01:48AM EST
Quote

Ugh. I just don’t even. I respect the PS4 buyers out there (I am a sony fanboy myself, but mostly for their phone line) but it’s kinda ridiculous on both ends. I’m not to worried about it though because even though I would like to play games like inFamous and Killzone, I am pretty well satisfied with my 100+ game steam inventory that I haven’t even downloaded half of yet and my 360 has at least 10 good games that I’m okay with and am not worried about upgrading yet. PC MASTER RACE OUT!

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:11AM EST
Quote

I only planned on getting the Wii U anyway. There aren’t enough games on PS4 or Xbox One for me to care about, most of the good games aren’t exclusive anyway so I’ll be getting them on PC

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:35AM EST
Quote

>console release
>there’s problems

Is this really a surprise? Doesn’t this happen every time? I thought it was commonly accepted never to buy the first, or early models of anything, as they always break.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:48AM EST
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

>console release
>there’s problems

Is this really a surprise? Doesn’t this happen every time? I thought it was commonly accepted never to buy the first, or early models of anything, as they always break.

But you gotta buy the day 1 edition. It’s a collectors item. *breathes heavy*

Last edited Nov 17, 2013 at 07:09AM EST
Nov 17, 2013 at 07:08AM EST
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

>console release
>there’s problems

Is this really a surprise? Doesn’t this happen every time? I thought it was commonly accepted never to buy the first, or early models of anything, as they always break.

“Doesn’t this happen every time”

Aaaaaaaah… no. The last major hardware malfunction was the Red Ring of Death. And that was due to Overheating.

Nov 17, 2013 at 02:28PM EST
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

PC Master Race seems to be leaking into here. Better plug the holes before their fabulousness enlightens us all! [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, the gaming industry has some pathetically low standards nowadays. Notice how most every game or hardware needs a patch nowadays? Yeah.

But this issue isn’t a software issue. This is hardware. Contrary to what Elitists tend to believe, Hardware Errors are not just limited to the dirty peasantry of the console market.

Yeah, even 3DS games need updates. I never thought I’d see the day when Nintendo started doing that, but granted, I’m glad they fixed the save glitch in Lumiose City in Pokemon X and Y.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:35AM EST

M wrote:

Yeah, even 3DS games need updates. I never thought I’d see the day when Nintendo started doing that, but granted, I’m glad they fixed the save glitch in Lumiose City in Pokemon X and Y.

Nintendo at least have the mentality “We can’t release an unfinished product and merely give it a patch once we are actually done with it.” They have very rarely implemented patches themselves, and they did they where all small ones to stop game breakers from occurring.

For that, I respect Nintendo for sticking to that even after they finally gave devs the option to patch their games. Not that there are other things worth raging about them for.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:11AM EST
Quote

I usually buy consoles of each gen at least 2 years after the launch date, or when a slim version of said console is out.
Step up, senpai.

Nov 21, 2013 at 08:56AM EST
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Nintendo at least have the mentality “We can’t release an unfinished product and merely give it a patch once we are actually done with it.” They have very rarely implemented patches themselves, and they did they where all small ones to stop game breakers from occurring.

For that, I respect Nintendo for sticking to that even after they finally gave devs the option to patch their games. Not that there are other things worth raging about them for.

I assume you meant “aren’t” instead of “are,” or at least I hope haha

So, @topic here, Sony released a press statement saying less than one percent of the PS4s are going to malfunction. Let’s also not forget that you can get a replacement PS4 with complimentary expedited shipping if you file for a replacement, so this feels like an annoyance more than a dealbreaker to me. I bought my PS Triple-Ballin’ on day one back in the day and TO THIS DAY it has never had an issue so I tend to trust Sony’s ability to make a console. (cough cough meanwhile I’m on my third 360 cough cough). It’s nice that people are getting the word out about its issues, but… It’s strange how they also never mention that Sony has taken steps to help out those who got defective consoles. Almost like they’re just (gasp) bashing a console to make theirs look better by comparison!?

People attach themselves to a brand and refuse to think other brands could compare. I had a Genesis and an SNES. I had an N64 and a PS1. I had a Dreamcast and a Gamecube, a PS2 and OG Xbox as well. A PS3 and a 360. A Wii. I had a DS and a PSP. I happily play both my 3DS and Vita. I bring this up to show I’m not defending the PS4 because I’m a Sony fanboy (even though I am, admittedly), or to play the devil’s advocate. It’s because I feel like this thread is your way of saying Nintendo is superior to Sony and honestly Console Wars make me want to projectile vomit.

TL;DR
I’m still buying a PS4 and if it’s bricked I’ll just send in for a replacement. #SonyggerForLife

Nov 21, 2013 at 09:56AM EST
Quote

@Patrick:

Immediately labeling me a Nintendo Fanboy like you just did because of remarking on my stance on Patch Policies? And ignoring the fact I said there was things I was pissed off at Nintendo about? That is INSANELY hypocritical regarding your stance on “Console Wars”, as trying to discredit somebodies statements by just accusing them for being a Fanboy Is Exactly What Console War Idiots Do All The Time.

If I wanted to lead you all to think the PS4 was trash and you shouldn’t buy it because of the defective units, I wouldn’t have bothered to post the info on how to avoid getting a defective unit. I would have just said “avoid buying it”.

Thanks for the news update BTW.

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:43PM EST
Quote

Whoa there cowboy, I’m wasn’t actually trying to be aggressive but I do admit I jumped the gun with the nintendrone accusation. I’m just so tired of PS4 bashing amongst my Xboning peers so I guess I vented at you. Gomen, senpai~

However I’m surprised you didn’t know they have a return policy for them. I guess Sony is just doing a shit job at getting the word out.

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:32PM EST
Quote

Well, looks like the XboxOne is having it’s share of problems too with broken disk drives everywhere. lol.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:26AM EST
Quote

@Patrick: Yeah, THAT I can understand. =_=;;
And admittedly usually I am a slowpoke when it comes to these things, but I did see an image of their return instructions just now. So there is that.

@The Stare Master: Same company as the PS4 doing the manufacturing, actually. So similar workforce of immigrants and students.

Nov 22, 2013 at 02:55PM EST
Quote

The next gen release has just been proof about how stupid console wars are. Every single side has been childish here, whenever news comes out that is slightly against one consoole, everyone will jump on it. “Ryse is getting bad reviews? That’s because all Xbox games suck!” “Bad PS4 launch? Xbox will be fine!” “Wii U doesn’t have many games yet? Nintendo is doomed!”.
Most consoles have bad launches, there are some that don’t, but generally most do. People should give them time before jumping on any problem they have. But like that’s ever going to happen.

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:30PM EST
Quote

In other news, the Xbox One disc drive:

Last edited Nov 22, 2013 at 08:10PM EST
Nov 22, 2013 at 08:10PM EST
Quote

Nov 22, 2013 at 08:38PM EST

This is why I like to wait until after the launch of a new system to buy one. They usually fix the kinks by that point.

Unless, of course, it’s made of Nintendium. I’d be perfectly happy getting a Nintendo console once it hits the shelves.

Nov 22, 2013 at 08:56PM EST
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

>console release
>there’s problems

Is this really a surprise? Doesn’t this happen every time? I thought it was commonly accepted never to buy the first, or early models of anything, as they always break.

Eyup, other then them being high priced at the launch, this is why I never EVER buy early models of things, game consoles in particular.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:20AM EST
Quote

Just like with the PS4, Microsoft is going to try and take care of those with faulty consoles.

Through Microsoft’s advance exchange program, “Customers have the option for us to send a replacement console right away without waiting until they have returned their old one. This means a customer only has to wait a matter of days, rather than weeks to get back up and running.”

So, if you’ve got a defective unit (giggle unit giggle) you’re not up the creek without a paddle.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:21AM EST
Quote

It would have been kinda stupid for the companies not to provide a service like they are doing. America is not in the state it was in before the recession, nobody is going to buy a replacement console like they used to. Another Red Ring of Death + asshole customer service maintenance would be devastating to any of the big three.

Last edited Nov 23, 2013 at 05:54AM EST
Nov 23, 2013 at 05:53AM EST
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

It would have been kinda stupid for the companies not to provide a service like they are doing. America is not in the state it was in before the recession, nobody is going to buy a replacement console like they used to. Another Red Ring of Death + asshole customer service maintenance would be devastating to any of the big three.

I disagree because every American has a magical fountain of loans.

Nov 23, 2013 at 03:58PM EST

According to The Other Wiki, the Xbox One has sold 1 million units worldwide. The PS4 has sold 1 million units in North America. Keep in mind the thing doesn’t release in Europe and Australia until Friday, and it’s still tied with the Xbone.

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:23PM EST
Quote

I’m tired of gaming and car brand wars. We are at a time now where anything from major manufacturers is pretty high quality, and while it will have some issues, it’s far better than you could have hoped for back in the day.

Consumer reports says your Chrysler or Ford is going to fall apart the 3rd day you own it? Well, it has about a 2.5% higher chance than the cars that are right at the top of the list. Wow! Such a fucking difference!

The reported manufactured failure rate for PS4s is, currently, under 1% in total. Haven’t seen any numbers from Microsoft yet, but I’m sure they exist. That is still better than any of the last generation’s consoles, by a fair margin. And this is the very first batch, they’ll get some of it fixed soon.

Everything has it’s pros and cons, I wish everyone would stop fighting. Especially the PC gamers and supercar owners who look down on all the casuals and plebs like they are gods for possibly having “the best” experience.

Last edited Nov 24, 2013 at 11:48PM EST
Nov 24, 2013 at 11:46PM EST
Quote

There are only 2 people in the world that I pretend to be a PC elitist to and both are friends I know of IRL. I’ve only been doing this due to some things they say / do.

[wall of text]

One of them only talks about “graphics”, specifically, the polygon count on character models. This is almost exclusively the only thing he will ever talk about. Sometimes he spices things up by mentioning the shadow quality or talking about anti-aliasing, all of which he knows nothing about. Seriously, he doesn’t know what aliasing is or what the word ‘polygon’ means, but he’ll go on and on about how ‘HD’ his beloved PS3 is and how it’s the best console available.

The other one bought a PS3 and 360 and connects them to his 40" HDTV via scart with the yellow, red and white cables (composite). He doesn’t like how the games look using the HDMI cable or the component cables. He also talks about the “graphics” of games on some occasions.

Both of them said PC gaming is expensive because the games cost more (they don’t), both said buying a PC costs more than the Xbox One or PS4 (it doesn’t have to), both said it’s complicated to set up (I’ve personally fixed both of their laptops, installed a HDD and reinstalled windows on one of them and fixed a broken router that’s 10 years old for them AND I provide this tech support for free AND I set up their PVR to record their gameplay (which I have to do every single time because neither of them want to know how to use their own damn equipment) AND I’ve said that I can build a PC for £350 for them, install windows, install steam, set it to big picture mode and let them play PC games like it were a console for free.

If one of them just said, “I’m comfortable with the consoles I have already. Thanks, but no thanks,” I’d leave it at that and call it a day, but every day there’s just one more excuse picked out of the air. The best part, out of all of this, is that THEY were the ones who brought up the whole PC master race stuff long before I even mentioned anything from the previous paragraph. The only reason why I’ve been a PC gamer is because I don’t have the money to buy the consoles I’d like, nor do I have the space in my home for them.

They were the ones who were talking to me sarcastically about being a PC gaming elitist. Now I remind them every day about it.

[/wall of text]

Last edited Nov 25, 2013 at 03:42PM EST
Nov 25, 2013 at 03:40PM EST
Quote

Filthy peasant casuals.

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:08PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!